Defraggler is FRAGGLING!

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
I do defrag occasionally, but I think it's on a schedule, not too worried, just don't have money to get an SDD right now, heh.

Don't bother. They will become cheap soon. I have 8 SSDs because they were broken, going to be destroyed. Luckily I use "magic" lol. More info on my weird experience somewhere in one of my threads.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
I just install the defrag screensaver by Auslogics after a Windows install, and let it take care of my drives when I'm idle. Solid blues and greens, and great performance. :3

I only trust my drives to be defragged by Auslogics because they make a fast defragger with TONS of options and settings.

Drak0rex

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Look guys, I was just trying to keep my hdd as speedy and free from a chance of corruption as possible, and wondering the best way to do so. That is all.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Defragging every once in a while can be a good practice, but I wouldn't do it too often as defragging also happens to be a procedure that can cause higher than normal usage strain and lead to the HDD wearing out faster.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Auslogics is pretty good, but recently they've cut some functionality I used to use from the free version, much to my dismay. I had to *cough* acquire the Pro version, it's pretty sweet. :yay:

which one is your favorite and the pros and bads from your experience foxi?

(mydrefrag or auslogics)

i used defraggler but i did find it broken and not a solid program...

Oxybelis

Trophies
XP
Country
Completely defragmenting HDD is often unnecessary.
Only often used files and program files truly benefit from this.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Smart Defrag is another fast free app you can try.

I always go for the portable versions whenever possible, and keep them installed on my permanent 16GB SD card in my laptop.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Back to original thing with red blocks: every defraggler makes quick calculations about the state of fragments on the drive and when defragging it tries to do things as efficiently as possible meaning it will leave some fragments here and there. That's why program does find few red blocks but if you defrag again it'll be much faster this time as last time it already mostly did everything.
This is because you will get fragments when you use your HDD anyway so why waste time to make everything perfect. It's like vaccuuming your room, you don't go every little inch, but you try to simply cover whole area efficiently as it'll get dirty anyway but vaccuuming more often makes work much easier.

Simply do not worry, simply defrag regularly and it's fine. You can even test out between programs if you are paranoid, something like Auslogics is also good, but personally prefer Defraggler. If you want speedy HDD then get SSD.

Also want to point out getting SSD for main use is useless, even though I couldn't live without one. Only OS and every day programs actually benefit enough of it at this point as something like storing stuff and games, HDD is still the thing to have. Especially when games are done with console standards HDD is more than fine and I still haven't been stuck in loading screen for long unless it's online game or Source engine game (which doesn't go much faster even with SSD).

If you have spare space/drives, one old trick to defrag is to copy every file off the drive, format it, and copy everything back on. It'll copy back in linear sequence rather than the fragmented state it was in when you copied it off.

Only problem is thats pretty time consuming with 4 TB storage drive or 2 TB game drive.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-regular-disk-defragmenter#1TC=windows-7

In Windows 7, Disk Defragmenter runs at regular intervals when your computer is turned on, so you don't have to remember to run it.

"Defragging" a drive is an archaic habit directly from the Win95 times. The drives nowadays are fast enough for you (and thanks to some quite sizeable caches) to not have ANY advantage in defragging it manually.

"It's dead, Jim" *looks at Jim furiously beating a dead horse*

tl;dr Defraggler is useless

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/schedule-regular-disk-defragmenter#1TC=windows-7

"Defragging" a drive is an archaic habit directly from the Win95 times. The drives nowadays are fast enough for you (and thanks to some quite sizeable caches) to not have ANY advantage in defragging it manually.

"It's dead, Jim" *looks at Jim furiously beating a dead horse*

tl;dr Defraggler is useless

So, why do so many people think it's important, I mean, don't HDDs still fragment when files are moved around/copied? I thought that performance goes to crap after a while (which might explain my recent performance shenanigans).

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
So, why do so many people think it's important, I mean, don't HDDs still fragment when files are moved around/copied? I thought that performance goes to crap after a while (which might explain my recent performance shenanigans).
Because they think of the Win95 times and of their awesome PIO1 hard drives which had read/write speeds of 1MB/s. In that case the drop to 0.2MB/s was quite noticeable.

As I linked, Win7 automatically defrags. Auslogics and Defraggler are nowadays "useless" but want users to think that they're still useful or relevant for obvious reasons: i.e. not going out of business. You said HDTune found some bad sectors - those are to blame, not fragmentation.

Because I totally want to defrag gigabytes of data while I'm computing - that's totally a good idea. ;O; That, and background defrag only does so much - it delays the inevitable full defrag. Increases performance IMO, each to their own though. :P
It works in the background, eating away the "idle time" of your CPU. It won't swamp your PC ;O;

"Inevitable full defrag", read above. There isn't a difference between "background defrag" and "full-time defrag", they BOTH do the same thing. If you don't believe in background defragging, then you shouldn't waste your time with "full-time" defragging as well :P

EDIT: Some hard proof:
http://www.hofmannc.de/en/windows-7-defragmenter-test/benchmarks.html

Unless you really spend your time on your PC with a stopwatch in your hand, you won't notice the difference. EVER.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Least they got head in the end