Gaming Dead or Alive: Dimensions ?

pachura

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I've never played any Dead or Alive game. So, apart from bouncing tits and legs in stockings, does the game differ much from e.g. Street Fighter ? For me, all the fighting games are very similar... sure, they might have different combos/fatalities/whatever, but basic mechanics are identical.

From trailers I am getting impression that in DoA:D you can interact more with the environment, but maybe that's not true ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjozcpCWHfc[/youtube]

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a completely different game. Street Fighter titles are, for the most part, 2D fighting games - as in, they fight on a single plane; you can only move up (jump), back and forward. Games like Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur, and Dead or Alive, however, are 3D fighting games, as in, they let you move in several (8 I think) directions, so you can actually move around the environment. It greatly changes the gameplay and pacing of the title, as you can actually dodge, predict movement and attack in a different direction, etc. 2D fighters and 3D fighters are two totally different beasts. If you don't like one, you might like the other. If you're into Soul Calibur, Virtua Fighter, or any other 3D fighting title, I'd look into it.

That and the fighting game engine is completely different. Street Fighter is flashy, and has over the top special moves. Dead or Alive is more about combo's and movement.

Mechanically, the titles are vastly different. SSFIV3D and Dead or Alive: Dimensions do offer similar game play modes, though - Arcade, Online, SpotPass (simulation battles), training mode, etc.

Edit
Yeah, DoA titles, including the one for the 3DS, have interact-able environments. You can break objects by kicking people into them, flip off of them, etc. Hell, in the Other M stage, you can knock people into Ridley!

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
Windaga pretty much nailed it, not much more to add, but I do have something. For most stages instead of the normal "Ring Out" when you send someone flying over the edge (like in Soul Calibur) DoA has multi-tiered environments. For example, say you are fighting on a rope bridge (actual stage) and send the opponent over the edge, they'l fall into the river bed below and take a good bit of damage, you'll jump down (unharmed) and the fight will continue in the new location.

Also with DoA it's straight up fighting, no magical projectiles, no unrealistic grabs, a little freedom with gravity and physics in the chest area is all you'll see that breaks from realistic fighting. Every character's styles are based off real life fighting styles.

Also, as you may have guessed this series characters are mostly eyecandy. With most fighting games there are maybe two or three ladies, (some would say they actually kick butt more than most of the guys) with DoA it's a bit closer to even, but I believe the ladies have the stronger numbers, and still kick butt.

I'm a big fan of the Soul Calibur games, and only more recently discovered DoA at a friend's place and quickly played through the entire DoA series he had. I'm looking forward to making this my first personal DoA game.

Zarxrax

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Dead or Alive has always one of my favorite fighting games, because I love the counter attack system. It just seems more realistic and lifelike to me. Being able to counter almost any attack is just something that I love for some reason.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To me:

SSFIV is classic fighter, a little unrealistic (esp moves), pretty good controls.

DOA is a 3D fighter with great backgrounds, realistic movesets and also solid controls (however not as easy to control as SSFIV)

Still up to personal preference though. I have SSFIV and will get DOA: Dimensions as well.

EDIT: wootz 400th post
nyanya.gif

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
Cant really add much else to whats already been said but i think online play will be alot better for this coz i cant stand playing street fighter online anymore with people who just spam 1 special ALL the time n theres really nothing much to do in street fighters single player mode either as apposed to DOA.

Pros of DOA in my opinion
- has alot of cool costumes
- ususally has more incentive to play arcade mode to unlock the costumes (SF sucks for this reason)
- counter moves (some people dont like them. i personally love the fact you can counter most moves. makes fighting alot more skill and timing)
- has extra stuff as apposed to SF such as tag mode and missions
- MUCH better music

I wanted this game at launch and i will be getting this and i highly recommend others do the same!

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
I will say this, the only reason I have SSFIV is because this one was delayed. I'll still keep both (cause that's just my way) but SSFIV has nothing to really hold my interest. DoA on the other hand...
dead-or-alive-4-20051107011254898.jpg
wub.gif

The Online should certainly be much better! XD

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I wasn't actually thinking about picking this title up, as Devil Survivor: Overclocked, Zelda, AND RE:Mercenaries 3D launches next month, but......I don't know. I suppose if I magically come into some money, I might pick it up. Or I guess I'll just wait till it hits budget price, like with the other early 3DS titles. I can't imagine it'll take Super Monkey Ball too long.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
OKAY! I have finally concluded what games to get for 3DS this holiday!

I already have:
Ridge Racer 3D
SSFIV 3D Edition

I want:
DOA Dimensions
Cubic Ninja
RE: The Mercenaries 3D
Possibly: Legend of Zelda: OoT

By the way, (I know this isn't the right place to post this) but I have yet to play any Zelda series games. What kind of game is it anyway? A quest like game to defeat the final boss? Sorry if I sound so dumb... but I hope someone help me clarify.

chartube12

Captain Chaz 86
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
chartube12 said:
DoA games game play are about the same as Tekken's but with lots of female eye candy.

Almost forgot. DoA and Tekken also don't have the overly hard A.I to deal with like super crap cheater.

Terenigma

Terenigma everywhere
Trophies
XP
Country
From reading the review i will put a brief pro and con list.

Pros:
- Has a story mode
- 25 characters and alternate costumes can be bought with 10 play coins or beating the game
- Arcade mode is single-round and fast paced
- Fighting is fast paced and the 3D looks very impressive
- Has tag mode and survival mode

Cons:
- Story mode doesnt sound that great
- Tag mode only lets you use a CPU instead of you controlling both characters yourself
- Framerate switches between 60fps with 3D off and 30fps with it on

They gave the game 8/10

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr