ddr3 vs ddr4: how big is the difference between them??

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by DarkRioru, Dec 22, 2016.

1. JoostinOnline

Member JoostinOnline Certified Crash Test Dummy

United States
    So what did you finally end up going with?

2. mgrev

Member mgrev Legit Gladiator

Norway
    if you go skylake: One does not simply use ddr3l (you can't even use normal ddr3 due to voltages).

Jayro likes this.
  3. Jayro

Member Jayro MediCat DVD Developer

United States
    Get yourself at least 32GB of DDR4. Make a 16GB RAMdisk. Install Adobe Premier to the ramdisk, and save your video target to it as well. You'll get the biggest speed benefits from this setup. Also enabling CUDA encoding (or Intel QuickSync) will drastically speed things up.

4. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    CUDA encoding? Disgusting behaviour. By all means boost filter speeds with with the GPU but unless things have changed in the last few months I have never seen a GPU driven encoder produce a worthwhile final product, though it is fine for rough cuts.

5. JoostinOnline

United States
    That will cause instability. He's much better off using that money towards a SSD, which will benefit both Windows itself and whatever applications he installs on it. Adobe Premiere should obviously be one of them.

6. Jayro

United States
    Instability where? I use the exact setup, and it's flawless.

7. JoostinOnline

United States
    Maybe Adobe products are designed to run well on a RAM disk then. There are lots of things that can go wrong though. Power loss is obviously a big one, because RAM is volatile, and if there is power loss before the data is flushed to your disk then you're screwed. Anything that starts during boot up is also going to be a big problem. Windows searches for the file in your RAM, but since it doesn't exist (yet), then it will just error out. You're safer using a SSD with Superfetch. It caches programs to the RAM.

So in the end, spending $60 on a SSD is going to be a much safer option than spending $60 on RAM, and will run at very close speeds for a lot of extra storage.

8. Jayro

United States
    I set my ramdisk to write the image to my SSD every 15 minutes, and I never use it for long-term storage, just fast reads and writes. My power only goes out if I don't pay my electric bill.

9. JoostinOnline

United States
    I'm talking about crashes (which won't be a rare occurrence if he starts overclocking and doesn't have the settings perfect) and power outages. I've had a fair number. I think they're often caused by tree branches falling, but I'm not sure.

If your RAM disk is working for you, that's great. However, both Windows and Photoshop already cache most files to the RAM anyway, and he doesn't already have an SSD. Maybe add more RAM down the line, but he's already spending a shit ton of money.

10. Sketchy1

Member Sketchy1 gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer

United States
    AFAIK, there isnt actually a performance difference.

Ddr4 uses less power than ddr3.
    It only like a 15w diffrence, so to an average home user as yourself, it wouldn't really make a difference unless your running like a server or such on multiple PC's, to which the 15w would definitely start to add up

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Also looking at your build, seems like pretty good parts :toot: