Gaming ddr3 vs ddr4: how big is the difference between them??

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Get yourself at least 32GB of DDR4. Make a 16GB RAMdisk. Install Adobe Premier to the ramdisk, and save your video target to it as well. You'll get the biggest speed benefits from this setup. Also enabling CUDA encoding (or Intel QuickSync) will drastically speed things up.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
CUDA encoding? Disgusting behaviour. By all means boost filter speeds with with the GPU but unless things have changed in the last few months I have never seen a GPU driven encoder produce a worthwhile final product, though it is fine for rough cuts.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Get yourself at least 32GB of DDR4. Make a 16GB RAMdisk. Install Adobe Premier to the ramdisk, and save your video target to it as well. You'll get the biggest speed benefits from this setup. Also enabling CUDA encoding (or Intel QuickSync) will drastically speed things up.
That will cause instability. He's much better off using that money towards a SSD, which will benefit both Windows itself and whatever applications he installs on it. Adobe Premiere should obviously be one of them.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That will cause instability. He's much better off using that money towards a SSD, which will benefit both Windows itself and whatever applications he installs on it. Adobe Premiere should obviously be one of them.
Instability where? I use the exact setup, and it's flawless.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
Instability where? I use the exact setup, and it's flawless.
Maybe Adobe products are designed to run well on a RAM disk then. There are lots of things that can go wrong though. Power loss is obviously a big one, because RAM is volatile, and if there is power loss before the data is flushed to your disk then you're screwed. Anything that starts during boot up is also going to be a big problem. Windows searches for the file in your RAM, but since it doesn't exist (yet), then it will just error out. You're safer using a SSD with Superfetch. It caches programs to the RAM.

So in the end, spending $60 on a SSD is going to be a much safer option than spending $60 on RAM, and will run at very close speeds for a lot of extra storage.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Maybe Adobe products are designed to run well on a RAM disk then. There are lots of things that can go wrong though. Power loss is obviously a big one, because RAM is volatile, and if there is power loss before the data is flushed to your disk then you're screwed. Anything that starts during boot up is also going to be a big problem. Windows searches for the file in your RAM, but since it doesn't exist (yet), then it will just error out. You're safer using a SSD with Superfetch. It caches programs to the RAM.

So in the end, spending $60 on a SSD is going to be a much safer option than spending $60 on RAM, and will run at very close speeds for a lot of extra storage.
I set my ramdisk to write the image to my SSD every 15 minutes, and I never use it for long-term storage, just fast reads and writes. My power only goes out if I don't pay my electric bill.

JoostinOnline

Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
I set my ramdisk to write the image to my SSD every 15 minutes, and I never use it for long-term storage, just fast reads and writes. My power only goes out if I don't pay my electric bill.
I'm talking about crashes (which won't be a rare occurrence if he starts overclocking and doesn't have the settings perfect) and power outages. I've had a fair number. I think they're often caused by tree branches falling, but I'm not sure.

If your RAM disk is working for you, that's great. However, both Windows and Photoshop already cache most files to the RAM anyway, and he doesn't already have an SSD. Maybe add more RAM down the line, but he's already spending a shit ton of money.

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
how big is the speed gap between ddr3 and ddr4??? I'm building a pc and need to know the speed gap difference between these two ram formats

you guys can check out my planned build here: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/LFHHqk
AFAIK, there isnt actually a performance difference.

Ddr4 uses less power than ddr3.
It only like a 15w diffrence, so to an average home user as yourself, it wouldn't really make a difference unless your running like a server or such on multiple PC's, to which the 15w would definitely start to add up

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Also looking at your build, seems like pretty good parts :toot:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans: How's it going my loves