Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin coming to PC, PS4 & Xbox One in April 2015

T-hug

Always like this.
OP
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
GBAtemp.net
XP

FROM SOFTWARE have announced that the definitive edition of Dark Souls II will be coming to PC, PS4 and Xbox One in April 2015. It will include updated visuals, rebalanced gameplay, a higher maximum number of players for online play, new and deadlier enemies, a brand new NPC to discover, expanded lore and new in-game events.
The game also has the Crown of the Sunken King, Crown of the Old Iron King, and Crown of the Ivory King DLC included.

Releasing a month after Bloodborne is a strange decision by FROM SOFTWARE, we could really have done with this release in 2014.
Will you be picking it up?

Reactions: Tom Bombadildo

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
But main question for master race is that are they going to sell this as whole new game which has been really super annoying trend lately or are they going to sell it as DLC or give it as patch for season pass owners.
There's just so fucking many annoyances when they decide to rerelease few years old game as brand new title on PC starting from having same game twice in library with non-compatible save files to having to buy game second time with next to none differences.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I don't know why they just decided to make this decision now because people clearly wanted DS2 when it first came out for their PS4s and Xbox Ones.

Bandai seems to think that because 360 and PS3 have a huge number of users that most of them are still active, it's not necessarily the case any more, some of them moved to PS4/XO/WU/PC, still use it but not for gaming or just don't even use it at all.

GHANMI

Trophies
XP
Country
Bandai seems to think that because 360 and PS3 have a huge number of users that most of them are still active, it's not necessarily the case any more, some of them moved to PS4/XO/WU/PC, still use it but not for gaming or just don't even use it at all.

Well, it IS indeed the case. People are still on PS3/X360 in huge numbers, and aren't moving on to next gen as much as they would love them to.
That's why they're releasing a remaster and not spending money on a new game yet, and also why they're releasing it for PS3 and PC.
That way, people who only have next-gen consoles starved on content will buy anything, even remasters.
It's not because the original didn't sell very well on PS3 (it did sell very well)

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
Tom Bombadildo will have field day with this one. :P
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif
wLANCBo.gif

But main question for master race is that are they going to sell this as whole new game which has been really super annoying trend lately or are they going to sell it as DLC or give it as patch for season pass owners.
Also, from the source:
All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements)

So those crying about re-releases, this is basically just a GOTY version of the game, similar to Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Well, it IS indeed the case. People are still on PS3/X360 in huge numbers, and aren't moving on to next gen as much as they would love them to.
That's why they're releasing a remaster and not spending money on a new game yet, and also why they're releasing it for PS3 and PC.
That way, people who only have next-gen consoles starved on content will buy anything, even remasters.
It's not because the original didn't sell very well on PS3 (it did sell very well)

Watch Dogs and Destiny sold better on the "next-gen" than the last-gen consoles so that goes to show that the 360/PS3 is dying out and it's not as active as it used to be.

People who I used to play on Xbox 360 now hardly ever appear online and if they do they're on their Xbox Ones while I'm on the 360, just to watch a DVD, YouTube or etc.

Tom Bombadildo

Dick, With Balls
Trophies
Website
POCKET.LIKEITS
XP
Country
United States
And a big middle finger to those who bought the game on PC!

Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin will be launching in the Americas on April 7, 2015 on Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, and PC/Steam (DirectX 9/DirectX11)!

T-hug, you should probably move the thread :P

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I almost feel ashamed. I never bothered picking up Dark souls, and only bought dark souls: prepare to die edition in a steam sale (meaning I spend around 5 bucks tops). This'll probably be the same: I may get it once I come around installing, playing and actually liking DS1, meaning I'll have the exact same version as fans of the first hour, except I'll have spent 1/10th of the price. And there's something completely wrong if fans are the ones whose wallet get raped so much. :unsure:

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, maybe it'll run at a decent framerate now, right? Right?

I'm interested, but I might be too busy gitting gud at Bloodborne. The timing isn't really great here.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Day 1 purchase for me. I'm a sucker for the Souls games. I actually haven't beat 2 yet but that's mostly because I sort of hit an awkward spot where I played a LOT on console, but never finish any of my console games ever. So then it came out on PC and I was like "well I don't really want to do all this stuff AGAIN..." and there it sits...poor thing. Need to crack it out and beat it during my christmas 'holiday'.

I'm still not sold on Bloodborne. I'm sure i'll get it day 1 as usual, but from what i've seen i'm pretty skeptical. Not a big fan of guns in my Souls franchise, unless it's separate from the Souls.

I don't know why they just decided to make this decision now because people clearly wanted DS2 when it first came out for their PS4s and Xbox Ones.

Or, big shocker here, the game was designed originally for the 360 and PS3 because those were the platforms out when development began. No one could've guessed the success of the Xbone or PS4, especially after all the shit slinging before launch of both. I'm sure they could have tried to port it over, but that likely would have pushed the release date back and pissed a lot of fans off. Ubisoft knows how bad of an idea that one is.

Hey, maybe it'll run at a decent framerate now, right? Right?

I'm interested, but I might be too busy gitting gud at Bloodborne. The timing isn't really great here.

Day 1 tweak to fix the framerate. Never understood the crying. It's better than nothing and at least From is clearly showing some effort on their part to learn PC porting, unlike most bigger companies. Dark Souls 1 compared 2 DS2 port wise were basically night and day.

Mario92

Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Finland
Also, from the source:

All versions of the game will include the following features (Existing Dark Souls II owners will receive a patch to implement these elements)
So those crying about re-releases, this is basically just a GOTY version of the game, similar to Dark Souls Prepare to Die Edition.
It seems like there will be patch for all versions, however to get all features on PC version game needs to be rebought it seems:
http://www.pcgamer.com/dark-souls-2-scholar-of-the-first-sin-announced/
http://fin.afterdawn.com/uutiset/ar...onsoleille-mukanaan-hukatut-trailerigrafiikat
http://darksouls.jp/pc/scholar_of_the_first_sin_specmatrix.html

Reactions: BerserkLeon

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yep, i'll go out and buy this....once the price drops. No doubt (on PS4 anyway) this will be a full priced release which is a bit of a kick in the teeth DLC or not. It is oddly too close to Bloodborne as well. I would rather they held off a bit on DS2 and released a package with a bit more value. How about Demon Souls, Dark Souls and Dark Souls 2 all in one go?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over