Hacking CycloDS Compatibility List

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Basically, through reading the TC forums (I'm not on GBATemp very often) I've found that a lot of people want an up-to-date compatibility list, but noone seems to know of a place to find one. They don't include the latest games, or they're based on a different flashcart and not the CycloDS.

I've created a website here: http://cyclods.wikidot.com/game:_start (easier-to-remember URL coming soon)

It has the basics of a compatibility list set up, and because it's actually a wiki, that means that anyone is able to add to the list. In fact, that's what I'm relying on. If you have 5 minutes to spare, please add a few of your games that you have tested.

Any questions about how to use the site can go here, and I'll explain it. I've tried to make it as simple as possible.

Simple rules:
1. If the game doesn't exist, go ahead and create it from the front page (it's a wiki, after all!)
2. If the game exists, but you disagree with what it says, edit the page.

Keep in mind that I am watching every single edit and therefore can revert changes if necessary (which prevents spam from being a problem)

Constructive feedback is welcome
smile.gif

Update (Jan 2011): I've re-released the compatibility list here instead. At the moment it is only editable by me, but you can post compatibility information anonymously on any game page as a comment and I will update the list. Hopefully soon, I will be able to open up editing again to everyone

Chrono_Tata

Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand
Could be useful I guess, though I personally don't use it. I just stick the game on my card. If it works, it works. If not just report it to TC though chances are someone would already have. XP

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Well, this list lets people know if it's been reported yet or not, I suppose
smile.gif

Every firmware I'll be updating it with the changes, in the meantime I'm hoping that others will fill in the gaps for the most popular out of the other 4000 or so games.

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
kohkindachi said:
It's very good site I can say. But as a owner who wants to gain traffic, you should do most of the test yourself first
QUOTE(bluelaserman @ Oct 8 2009, 03:17 PM) You must keep it updated, and also test a larger variety of games.
Though, Its looks nice atm
biggrin.gif
happy.gif
Thanks
smile.gif

As for me testing a lot more.... well, you may disagree with my ethics, but I don't plan to download games that I haven't paid for, even though it's just for testing. That's why I decided to make it with a wiki-focus, so that anyone that wanted to, could contribute.

Every time someone adds a game, I cross-check it with ds-scene.net to make sure the rom # and game title match up. That way things are kept accurate, at least.

And when a firmware comes out, I'll be adding all of the "fixed" games, but will be checking bug reports to make sure they really are fixed, and not just supposed to be fixed.

DeMoN

GBAtemp Guru
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... the thing is, we usually assume 100% compatibility. In fact, the only reason this is useful is because of the new Nintendo game(s) with advanced piracy
protection (Mario and Luigi to be exact).

And this might get a bit messy because of all the beta firmwares that TC throws out. For example, the beta firmwares broke many games just for the ability to play M&L.

In my opinion, the more important thing is to list which games don't work with Enhanced Menu, RTS, etc.

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
DeMoN said:
In my opinion, the more important thing is to list which games don't work with Enhanced Menu, RTS, etc.

I hear you. I'll see what I can cook up.

The idea at the moment is that:
- If it doesn't work at all, you remove the _cdse tag from the page.
- If you can play to the end of the game, but something like enhanced menu doesn't work, then you mark it as 'working', but add a compatibility note.

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Update 2009-10-11: Extra compatibility setting added between 'Works perfectly' and 'Not working yet', called 'Compatibility issues'

If a game works perfectly, tag it with the number 3 (default)
If a game has compatibility issues, tag it with 2 and edit the description
If a game doesn't work at all (e.g. dual black screens, or can't pass the intro screen), tag it with 1 and edit the description

TraumaHoundNDS

Trophies
Website
traumahound.ndsthemes.com
XP
Country
United States
Off-hand, I'd say sorting by whichever column one prefers would be a nice addition. And a column for what firmware the game was tested on (which could also weed out those who might test on an older firmware than is current.)

I do like the concept of this page, just seems lacking some simple list-organization.

Rayder

Mostly lurking lately....
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I find the list very useful for when I'm at my friend's house hooking his kids up with games. Saves me from wasting time putting games on their Cyclo that don't work.

(Thinks to myself) I wonder if his kids figured out how to add games themselves yet.....I haven't been over there since I hooked them up with all the sites I knew about at the time. Haven't seen either of them posting on GBAtemp.....hmm. Well they ARE girls, so maybe that's to be expected. Probably too busy messing around on those silly social sites like Twitter and Facebook or whatever.
rolleyes.gif

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
I think the list is awesome, very helpful, i have linked others to this list myself when they have reported a problem with a game, keep up the good work

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
TraumaHoundNDS said:
Off-hand, I'd say sorting by whichever column one prefers would be a nice addition. And a column for what firmware the game was tested on (which could also weed out those who might test on an older firmware than is current.)

I can set up simple column sorting easily enough with just a few changes. Will do that within the next few days.

Organising by the firmware it was tested on will be a problem though, at least until Wikidot completes one of the new features they're currently testing. It can be done easily enough, but would make the page very complicated -- and most people would be discouraged from editing something if it's not immediately obvious what they need to do.

Rayder said:
I find the list very useful for when I'm at my friend's house hooking his kids up with games. Saves me from wasting time putting games on their Cyclo that don't work.
QUOTE(Jackthelad @ Jan 18 2010, 08:06 PM)
I think the list is awesome, very helpful, i have linked others to this list myself when they have reported a problem with a game, keep up the good work

Thanks
cool.gif

leiger

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I haven't got FF III to test, but there have been some recent reports of it not working.

Can anyone with the game confirm that it is (or is not) working for them?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    S @ salazarcosplay: How are you @AncientBoi :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: :tpi: