Not open for further replies.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Soo, I dug up my bit bucket account and found something I haven't touched for like 7 months now. I decided to make a video of this POC I had worked on during that time.

Last time I touched this was like somewhere in late march according to my private bit bucket repository. Sure it barely shows anything in the video, but it gives you that 'foreseeable idea' of how it would've been if this was actually a thing. Everything shown in this video is merely done - The power menu, lock screen, app drawer. Reviving this thread doesn't necessarily mean I'll be coming back to this. Besides, compared to the PSP version, this is so far behind. I don't think I'm really in the mood to write 30 - 40k lines of code anytime soon, at least without any motivation. In case you were wondering you can have a look at my webpage, or my youtube channel to get an idea of how far the PSP version has progressed, and all the features it has to offer. Anyways I just thought it would be something cool to share. I've heard a lot about how 'open' the 3DS is, and about the newly updated hardware (New 3DS and New 3DS XL), so I might actually buy one. And if I do, I may consider finishing up this port.

The_Meistro

GBATemp's "Official" Hank Hill
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I'm the developer of a program called CyanogenPSP, which is a custom GUI menu for the PSP. It's design is inspired by the look of CyanogenMod-Android, and hence the name CyanogenPSP. You've probably never heard of my project, and I don't blame you for that. The PSP has been long gone to many, but there are a few souls like me who wish to cherish this device in their hearts. Anyways what I wanted to ask is whether or not people would like this to appear on the 3DS as well. I guess you can say I have a 'sorta descent' programming skill. (I mainly know C/C++ and just a tiny bit of Python). Feel free to look at my git, and don't laugh at my 3 followers. https://github.com/joel16 I've been a long time lurker here, and been stalking smea's progress on his 3DS stuff. BTW nice to see some PSP guys here (rinnegatematne and Xerpi)
Here's a video demonstrating the latest update on my program (on PSP of course):

Concept:

Unlike the psp, the 3DS has a touchscreen interface which makes this Android GUI more well suited. My concept so far, is to have the display on the top screen, and the bottom screen can be used for input. IE for controlling the pointer/cursor. I will however, have to get rid of the UMD icon, and for the game launcher icon, I can just use it for launching homebrews I guess. (This is just a concept, I'm still not sure what is possible/what isn't). This is all that I have in mind for now. Also do note, I have NO interest whatsoever for supporting piracy. This homebrew will stay 'clean' if I do decide to program it.

Possibilities:

- Luckily ctrulib, uses C and this shouldn't be a barrier.
- There seem to be enough samples to help me get started with almost everything required. I've already installed DevKitPRO, along with ctrulib, and compiled a few examples.

Cons:

- I'm having exams now, so won't be able to work on this anytime soon.
- I need more experience for coding 3DS homebrews, and learning how the system works in general.
- I don't own a 3DS lel, but there's always Citra.

OMG MAN YESS!

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Soo, I dug up my bit bucket account and found something I haven't touched for like 7 months now. I decided to make a video of this POC I had worked on during that time.

Last time I touched this was like somewhere in late march according to my private bit bucket repository. Sure it barely shows anything in the video, but it gives you that 'foreseeable idea' of how it would've been if this was actually a thing. Everything shown in this video is merely done - The power menu, lock screen, app drawer. Reviving this thread doesn't necessarily mean I'll be coming back to this. Besides, compared to the PSP version, this is so far behind. I don't think I'm really in the mood to write 30 - 40k lines of code anytime soon, at least without any motivation. In case you were wondering you can have a look at my webpage, or my youtube channel to get an idea of how far the PSP version has progressed, and all the features it has to offer. Anyways I just thought it would be something cool to share. I've heard a lot about how 'open' the 3DS is, and about the newly updated hardware (New 3DS and New 3DS XL), so I might actually buy one. And if I do, I may consider finishing up this port.

I MEAN YESS!

Reactions: Joel16

nxwing

Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines

I still have hope that this will resurface. You have my full moral support in this project!

farias0

Whatever
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I just discovered this post, what an awesome thing! Remember that now we have themehax, which can run a boot.3dsx during the system starting. If you end up doing it you'd be pleasing a lot of people for sure!

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the support I'm receiving now, is certainly different from last time's, I'll give you that. Honestly the 3DS has got me quite interested, especially after seeing @xerpi's Linux port. Makes me believe an older version of Android can actually be ported over, but I don't know. I still need to figure out more on how the system works, then I'll think about porting this over to the 3DS.

Reactions: nxwing and ric.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well the support I'm receiving now, is certainly different from last time's, I'll give you that. Honestly the 3DS has got me quite interested, especially after seeing @xerpi's Linux port. Makes me believe an older version of Android can actually be ported over, but I don't know. I still need to figure out more on how the system works, then I'll think about porting this over to the 3DS.
BTW, if you set code as executable in the 3dsx builds you have to use gspwn. That might help with the web browser function. :)

plasma

GBAtemp's Artificial Lifeform
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
There has been loads of new things within the 7 months youve not worked on this, you might want to have a look at them, they may be able to help you improve and work on this project.

Joel16

Ils ne passeront pas
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
BTW, if you set code as executable in the 3dsx builds you have to use gspwn. That might help with the web browser function. :)

Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

There has been loads of new things within the 7 months youve not worked on this, you might want to have a look at them, they may be able to help you improve and work on this project.

Yes I've heard about a few of them. What got me really interested, is smea's post about NH 2.5. That 60MB extra RAM is gonna do wonders.

Hate to go off topic, but I actually am considering buying a 3DS. I've heard about the new 3DS, but can anyone more knowledgeable recommend which one I should purchase? My budget right now is under $200 USD. If you'd like to talk about this PM me instead.

ric.

Drivin' to meme country
Trophies
XP
Country
Peru
I'm definitely interested in seeing this project developed further, it looks really cool! You have my complete support.

teampleb

BAH! DED! X_X
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip, I'll keep that in mind.

Yes I've heard about a few of them. What got me really interested, is smea's post about NH 2.5. That 60MB extra RAM is gonna do wonders.

Hate to go off topic, but I actually am considering buying a 3DS. I've heard about the new 3DS, but can anyone more knowledgeable recommend which one I should purchase? My budget right now is under $200 USD. If you'd like to talk about this PM me instead.
On the n3DS you'll have over 160MB of RAM to play with when *hax 2.5 hits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: