• Views 30,708
  • Replies 62
  • Likes 3

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can we all for the love of god just use ELF for once? Preferably PIE/PIC.
Wii homebrew used plain old ELF format, though non-PIE since PIE wouldn't have been very useful without an operating system. A good amount of Wii homebrew was also distributed in Nintendo's DOL format for various reasons. (Among other things, early versions of devkitPPC didn't set up the ELF headers properly for some reason.)

The reasoning for the 3DSX format was something with ensuring future compatibility with system updates. I don't think any system updates actually broke anything that would have caused problems with ELF format, though.

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +headers

InsaneNutter

Trophies
Website
digiex.net
XP
Country
...I have no words.

Is this not an old webkit exploit been adapted to work on the Switch, as the Switch used a version of webkit vulnerable to this exploit?

If i'm not understanding that correctly i'd sooner you told me, rather than imply i'm incorrect and not bother to tell me why...

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wii homebrew used plain old ELF format, though non-PIE since PIE wouldn't have been very useful without an operating system. A good amount of Wii homebrew was also distributed in Nintendo's DOL format for various reasons. (Among other things, early versions of devkitPPC didn't set up the ELF headers properly for some reason.)

The reasoning for the 3DSX format was something with ensuring future compatibility with system updates. I don't think any system updates actually broke anything that would have caused problems with ELF format, though.
.SWT, .SWC, .SWH, or .FUCK are my votes

CrimsonMaple

Developer • She/Her
Trophies
Website
crimson.ninja
XP
Country
United States
Is this not an old webkit exploit been adapted to work on the Switch, as the Switch used a version of webkit vulnerable to this exploit?

If i'm not understanding that correctly i'd sooner you told me, rather than imply i'm incorrect and not bother to tell me why...
Yeah its an old WebKit bug. It was used in some iOS malware, and then in the jbme jailbreak. WebKit is a fun target.

Reactions: InsaneNutter

Thirty3Three

Musician Member
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But then we wouldn't be able to give any of those homebrews.
We'd have an excuse. "But it's the file type". Plus I say fuck here all the time so posting won't be an issue haha!

Just picture a homebrew named "fuck". Wouldn't that be comical? "Fuck.fuck"?

Or he'll, "Ijustwantto.fuck". I'd play the fuck out of that fucking homebrew

eskinner3742

GBAtemp Professional Lurker
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Think it was released because there is more coming, has advanced further. already have seen 2 diff emulators load -- no gameplay, but they loaded.
Didn't hear about the emulators already loading. Even without the ability to run games I could have sworn it would take a while to even get just homebrew to boot up at all.

Now for the hard part. Resisting the probable update required to play the new releases after Nintendo pushes out the patches.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Yeah agreed