Hacking Custom Frodo for C64 VC Injection

DarkunderdoG

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have attempted to get this process to work with gundalf using the NTSC International Karate and only get Black Screens when Wad Loads. ANy assistance would be greatly appriciated!

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
DarkunderdoG said:
I have attempted to get this process to work with gundalf using the NTSC International Karate and only get Black Screens when Wad Loads. ANy assistance would be greatly appriciated!

You need to change the video mode using generic wii patcher... extract the 1.app, and use generic wii patcher on that and change the video mode to ntsc... pack the wad with the modified 1.app...

Alternatively you can temporarily change your video mode to pal if your tv supports... possibly that way you'll have better compatibility

gundalf

Trophies
XP
Country
WiiCrazy what we do now with the NTSC Version?
I dont get it to work :-/

There are different files and the .d64 file isnt anymore included into the 05.app.
Tryed different Compressions for the Snapshot but allways black screen as result.
Game was Giana Sisters and Host WAD is International Karate.
WAD was tested on NTSC System
wink.gif

ikntsc.jpg

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
gundalf said:
WiiCrazy what we do now with the NTSC Version?
I dont get it to work :-/

There are different files and the .d64 file isnt anymore included into the 05.app.
Tryed different Compressions for the Snapshot but allways black screen as result.
Game was Giana Sisters and Host WAD is International Karate.
WAD was tested on NTSC System
wink.gif

ikntsc.jpg

Dude I remember you already injected Giana Sisters successfully?
Is this a ntsc release of IK?
I've never seen this release so I can't comment on it...

Say you have the pal release, you do the injecting as normal only you need to change the video modes in the dol (1.app) and make the wad region free (which is unnecessary with the current hacks , starfall , preloader)

ps: Maybe they changed the entire international karate game seeing my below hack
smile.gif
Wishful thinking
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
FGOD said:
are there any developments on the whole c64 injection? cause if i remember correctly you were still looking to do the D64 file injection for files with more prg files...

Well I lost my all interest when the frodo emu launched
smile.gif

Though I still have my word to keep I guess
smile.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
FGOD said:
well, as the emu is there and is pretty good, i still use the wads i made more. and with me lots of other people i think... I think the option of making wads for them will always be much apreciated...

Hmm, is this because of channel interface or because of compatibility?

Maybe we can integrate the frodo emu into the homebrew launcher, which supports parameters... then launch the homebrew launcher using CrazyIntro... launch the game using channel like interface of homebrew launcher... profit
tongue.gif

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
I'll look into the snapshot format if I find time... with your reports it seems it's changed... we don't know yet if the emu itself changed too... maybe they put some checks or extra compression/obfuscating/encryption stuff on that...

Though I don't think they did much to protect the games since the pal ones even contained cracks (with crack intros still in the game executable)

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hmm... I actually think this might be an improvment assuming we can figure out the format. The 5.app actually looks a lot cleaner. Have you tried decompressing the snapshot and doing a byte comparison with a frodo created snapshot? It could be that the big N actually removed some of the craziness from the snapshot format that caused you guys issue when hacking frodo to make the images.

HowardC

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've compared the two files and they are extremely similar, which is good news as that means they are fixable.

The pal version of ikarate is slightly smaller than the ntsc version once decompressed, but the file structure, at least at first glance, is identical. The last sections of the two snapshots are identical, it's the first part (is that the header??) that is different. I looks like that structure of this first section of files is the same, but the data itself is merely different. Also the ntsc version has the addition of a "tsr" file. Judging by the name alone it could be a resident prgram loaded into the emulator, but I don't have a clue really. This new file could be the key to getting things working again as it appears to have taken the place of the d64 file but is definately NOT a rom.

I hope this helps out.

WiiCrazy

Be water my friend!
OP
Trophies
Website
www.tepetaklak.com
XP
Country
HowardC said:
I've compared the two files and they are extremely similar, which is good news as that means they are fixable.

The pal version of ikarate is slightly smaller than the ntsc version once decompressed, but the file structure, at least at first glance, is identical. The last sections of the two snapshots are identical, it's the first part (is that the header??) that is different. I looks like that structure of this first section of files is the same, but the data itself is merely different. Also the ntsc version has the addition of a "tsr" file. Judging by the name alone it could be a resident prgram loaded into the emulator, but I don't have a clue really. This new file could be the key to getting things working again as it appears to have taken the place of the d64 file but is definately NOT a rom.

I hope this helps out.

Yeah I compared those two too, they have some differences, similarities... but tried to load the new snapshot... got no display but just crashed... that implies vic state is not loaded...
Debugged the frodo, It gives me access violation errors... It tries to fill in a 16 byte long color table indexing it with 213... rather nasty on frodo part... If the savegames for vc games were copyable to sd then it would be a good candidate to getting custom ppc code run on wii
wink.gif
Since wii probably would just gracefully write to the area instead of giving access violation error like windows.. (Though I assume the wii emulator shares this piece of the frodo)

Back to business, thorough examining needed to get states loading correctly before we can do anything... for the pal ik I spent lots of time with my commodore's programmer's manual to get them right... If anyone else curious my modified source of frodo for windows is in the first post of this thread

Added 2304 bytes is added Prefs and 1541 drive states 256 bytes and 2048 bytes respectively summing into 2304 bytes... Loaded prefs suggest that 1541 emulation is active...

In the first IK there were no snapshot information for drive, those state information needs to be converted in endianness...

Off..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    cearp @ cearp: Welcome hazbeans