CTF/Custom Themes Installation Guide

CTF/Custom Themes Installation Guide

1.A Computer, that's connected to the internet.
2.A USB Cable, or a Memory Stick Duo Adapter.
3.A PSP running a custom firmware. (GEN, or M33)
4.A Memory Stick Duo.

[title:Preparation]
Step 1: If you have a Memory Stick Duo Adapter plug it in, otherwise you can plug your PSP, in your computer via USB cable. (Go to "Settings", and go to USB)

Step 2: Backup your files, and folder's on your Memory Stick Duo to your computer.
wink2.gif
Just incase something happens.

Step 3: Download This.

Step 4: Run the program you have just downloaded in step 3.

Step 5: Now, where it says: "destination folder", select your PSP memory stick root. It's usually a Letter such as E:/.

ScreenshotStudiocapture003.png

Step 6: Click install, and then wait for it the program to finish.

Step 7: Unplug your PSP from the computer, and turn it off completely. (Hold the power button for 10 seconds.)
e2a4a77b.jpg

Step 8: While holding the PSP's R button, turn back on your PSP.

4a911f9d.jpg

Step 9: A menu should pop up. You can release the R button, and scroll down to "Plugins".

5c09176b.jpg

Step 10: Press X, and you should see "cxmb.prx [VSH]". Scroll over to it, and press X again. It should say "Enabled".

12cc649b.jpg

Step 11: Scroll to the word "Back", and press X. Then scroll down to "Leave Recovery Menu", or something similar.

Step 12: Plug your PSP into your computer, and go to your PSP's letter drive.

Step 13: Open the folders in this order PSP->Theme. If a theme folder doesn't exist create one.

Step 14: Go to this site, and select your Firmware version.

Step 15: Find a theme theme that you like. (Make sure it's for your version. GEN themes won't work on M33, and M33 themes won't work on GEN.)

Step 16: Download it, and put it in the THEME folder. (NOTE: Most theme's are in CTF format. That is what you want)

Step 17: Disconnect your PSP, from your computer, and on the PSP go to "Settings" then go to "Theme".

Step 18: Scroll down to whatever theme you downloaded, and press X, then scroll over to the apply theme option, and press X.

Step 19: Allow the PSP to apply the theme.

Step 20: The PSP will reboot, when it does your theme will be applied. Enjoy.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NOTE: This guide is a WIP. I'm contemplating on whether to add images or not. As well as to go more in depth to make it n00b friendly. If you have a nice site for getting PSP Theme please post them so I may add them to the "How To". Thanks.

Blaze163

The White Phoenix's purifying flame.
Trophies
XP
Country
Sorry if I'm sounding alarmingly pants-on-head-retarded about this but what kind of themes does Prometheus 4/5 (I forget which one I'm on) work with? M33, GEN, etc? On a PSP 1K if that makes any difference at all.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
Might want to un-center the steps, having to read each line in a jagged way is ugly.

Also might want to split it into sections, such as getting and adding the plugin, then activating it, then finding themes, then adding them to the PSP.

I took your advice.
happy.gif
I must say it looks a ton better.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
I have one final question. I followed the guide and everything's working so far. I added a custom dynamic 'Cloud' theme and set it, but it's giving me a little trouble. It all works fine, even if the startup video of Sephiroth getting his ass handed to him is a little stuttery, but it seems to take a LOT longer to boot anything up. The PSP itself takes about 10-15 seconds to load, and games take a few seconds longer than before with the custom gameboot that came with the theme. To be fair the theme file is about 15MB, huge for a theme. But should it slow the system down THAT badly? Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
I have one final question. I followed the guide and everything's working so far. I added a custom dynamic 'Cloud' theme and set it, but it's giving me a little trouble. It all works fine, even if the startup video of Sephiroth getting his ass handed to him is a little stuttery, but it seems to take a LOT longer to boot anything up. The PSP itself takes about 10-15 seconds to load, and games take a few seconds longer than before with the custom gameboot that came with the theme. To be fair the theme file is about 15MB, huge for a theme. But should it slow the system down THAT badly? Is there anything I can do to improve performance?

I'm not quite sure, but I'd try to switch your theme back to the regular menu. Does it still take longer to boot? If so, like you said it's the theme. As for improving the performance, someone else might have to help you with that.

Blaze163

Trophies
XP
Country
Devin said:
Blaze163 said:

I'm not quite sure, but I'd try to switch your theme back to the regular menu. Does it still take longer to boot? If so, like you said it's the theme. As for improving the performance, someone else might have to help you with that.

It was never slow before I did this. I suspect it's the theme. I'll switch over to the Mario one, see if that makes any difference.

Incidentally, how do I add Gameboots? I assume it's part of the theme since the Cloud one came complete with video gameboots. How do I use them?

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Blaze163 said:
Devin said:
Blaze163 said:

It was never slow before I did this. I suspect it's the theme. I'll switch over to the Mario one, see if that makes any difference.

Incidentally, how do I add Gameboots? I assume it's part of the theme since the Cloud one came complete with video gameboots. How do I use them?

MyRandomGameboot.

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
Blaze...DO NOT DO IT THAT WAY!

Just modify the CTF, NOT your flash0.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
Blaze...DO NOT DO IT THAT WAY!

Just modify the CTF, NOT your flash0.

Ah. I just saw the date on the thread. As said above don't try my previously found method. Would the MyRandomGameBoot plugin be a valid solution to his problem? If he only has one Gameboot in the folder?

xist

ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ
Trophies
XP
Country
If this is a CTF theme guide why not include instructions on modifying the CTF's gameboot? Customising CTF's is a great thing to do and can turn a so-so theme into a great one.

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
xist said:
If this is a CTF theme guide why not include instructions on modifying the CTF's gameboot? Customising CTF's is a great thing to do and can turn a so-so theme into a great one.

I was thinking about do just that. Updating the How-To now.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    I @ idonthave: :)