Hacking Creating "Patches" for Cia-installed games?

DarkFlare69

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can find NTR-CFW on GBATemp, I guess.
No, you don't need the eshop version, but I have to use this version because:
- I've bought the eShop version 2 Years ago
- I don't own any flashcard
- I don't have this Game as Retail Cartridge
Thanks. Do you know the average times it takes to boot NTR?

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
whats this e-shop patch you speak of?
eshop-patch?
no no no,

I bought the Game "HArvest Moon 3D - A New Beginning" two years ago via eshop.
Now I want to modify this game (add new NPC, new Events, new maps) and build a patch for this that I can install as cia on my CFW.
The Patch should not be contain the whole game, it should only contain the modified files and overwrite the old files with the new files via installing as a patch

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
oh i know what your asking but i cant help you. i seen others mention to you a patch to access e-shop that what im asking about sorry
ah, understood.

Would be epic if someone could help me to find out how to create a Patch without need NTR-CFW+LayeredFS or something else.

Right now, my SD-Card reader is defect and I'm not able to load files onto my SD-Cards (only via FTP).
I've three SD-Cards. One with PalantineCFW (4.5) one with EmuNAND 9.7 and one empty one which I want to use with NTR-CFW. But right now, I'm not able to load FIles onto the empty SD Card. Why? Because SD-Card-Reader is defect, FTP won't work because I can't switch the SD card while I'm using FTPony or FTbrony.
I'm not able to get a new SD-Card-Reader until next month.
Any Ideas?
And I guess I'm not able to use NTR-CFW one the same card as PalantineCFW because of different Launcher.dat-files. I could replace my PalantineCFW-Launcher.dat with the NTR-CFW ones BUT after this, I'm not able to open FTBrony/FTPony anymore because I installed it as cia...

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would also like to know if it's possible to create patches from scratch.

There's NTR to do it, but I think it would be good to see other method to patch games.
Not learning how to create patches from scratch to patch games because it can already be done with NTR is not how we should act.
Exploring and understanding how everything work is what hackers want, not just sticking to what's already possible and giving up on other things.

Creating patches could be useful for Translation team, or releasing custom maps for games, etc.
Not everyone are using NTR cfw, some users already have EmuNAND and don't want to setup another one or multiple on the same card.
Providing choices to users is always better. NTR patches, cia patches, etc.

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I would also like to know if it's possible to create patches from scratch.

There's NTR to do it, but I think it would be good to see other method to patch games.
Not learning how to create patches from scratch to patch games because it can already be done with NTR is not how we should act.
Exploring and understanding how everything work is what hackers want, not just sticking to what's already possible and giving up on other things.

Creating patches could be useful for Translation team, or releasing custom maps for games, etc.
Not everyone are using NTR cfw, some users already have EmuNAND and don't want to setup another one or multiple on the same card.
Providing choices to users is always better. NTR patches, cia patches, etc.

That'S exactly that what I wanted to hear :)
I really want to find a way to create a Patch for any game I want.
That would be awesome because it would be much easier to share mods (translations/custom maps, etc).

Reactions: soneek

soneek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been looking for a way to make custom Patch CIAs as well. I haven't gotten anything info other than LayeredFS, which I'm unable to use.

Correction: Which I'm unable to use for Smash Bros.

Reactions: ChrisX930

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I've been looking for a way to make custom Patch CIAs as well. I haven't gotten anything info other than LayeredFS, which I'm unable to use.

Correction: Which I'm unable to use for Smash Bros.
yea, this is weird x__x
Just want to know how to create a "real" patch without the need of NTR-CFW...
A Cia-Patch is almost enough for PalantineCFW

Reactions: Margen67

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
official game patches downloaded from eshop can't be unpack and analyzed to create new ones?
On the previous page I saw a link to Item duplication patch for MH4, but it needs an official game patch as base?

Also, I didn't know there were already released patches in this form.
I wonder what's provided inside that cia, as it could be illegal to share on the forum.
a 18MB patch is probably illegal and the link will have to be has been removed.

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
official game patches downloaded from eshop can't be unpack and analyzed to create new ones?
On the previous page I saw a link to Item duplication patch for MH4, but it needs an official game patch as base?

Also, I didn't know there were already released patches in this form.
I wonder what's provided inside that cia, as it could be illegal to share on the forum.
a 18MB patch is probably illegal and the link will have to be has been removed.
I'm not good in analyzing things like that :/
Would be awesome if someone could find out how the patches are working and if it's possible to create own patches.
I know that some patch-cia's are working on SysNAND if it was installed via PalantineCFW. Tested it some months ago with Fantasy Life

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not good in analyzing things like that :/
Would be awesome if someone could find out how the patches are working and if it's possible to create own patches.
I know that some patch-cia's are working on SysNAND if it was installed via PalantineCFW. Tested it some months ago with Fantasy Life
As in game updates downloaded without having to go to the eShop? Does that mean patches don't get checked against ticket.db like normal game/dlc cias?

Reactions: Margen67

ChrisX930

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
As in game updates downloaded without having to go to the eShop? Does that mean patches don't get checked against ticket.db like normal game/dlc cias?
it seems so.
The only thing you don't should try is to go to "Downloadable Contents" in the Main Menu after you started the game.
Only tried it with Fantasy Life yet.

ubergeek77

Post editing world champ.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to look into this more, but I need a good way to decrypt an update.cia. I'm not completely knowledgeable on .cia hacking, as most of my experience is ripping apart .3ds files. Does anyone know how I can generate a ncchinfo.bin and decrypt/extract the romFS from, for example, the Mario Kart 7 1.1 update? If the inside is merely files that are used to overwrite old ones, then it would be very easy to create a brand-new .cia 100% from scratch without needing to use one as a base. I just need to know how to look inside an update .cia first.

Allied

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm also very interested in this. I'd like to perform a few modifications to games myself, and utilising a patch cia sounds an ideal method. If it worked anything like it typically does when modding PC games, any newer file in a patch archive is loaded instead of an older file in the main game archive. So, you get to have very small patches including just what is necessary rather than including a total copy of the game database (many GBs typically).

KingOfHell

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking at the differences between the exheader for majora's mask, and the update for it,
it looks like you need to set:
flag to 03 [compressed][sd app]
Remaster version: 0001 or whatever
jump id: whatever the titleID of your patch is
program id: title id of the game you're patching

it looks like you can set the jumpID in the rsf file, but how you set a specific full titleID in makerom, I don't know. Not sure aout the remaster version either.
Try setting the jumpID to the titleID of your patch, and try to see if you can change the applicationID to the one for the game you're patching?

I'm going to bed. Will look at this more when I get up and can comprehend things.

Reactions: Allied

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: It will actually make it worse