Hacking Creating a North American, non-XL New 3DS

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would be happy to do it for someone, but seeing as at the moment there's seemingly no way to fix the eShop... I'm honestly wondering if this is dead. :/

Artemis-kun

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I would be happy to do it for someone, but seeing as at the moment there's seemingly no way to fix the eShop... I'm honestly wondering if this is dead. :/
I wouldn't say it's dead. There are those of us who are entirely uninterested in eshop access. I've been in the midst of a move over the past few weeks, so I haven't had much time to give this all a go yet, but I plan on using what's gone on in this thread to change my emunand using a public secureinfo. If I ever felt like going whole-hog to sysnand with it, I'd buy up another 3ds and get a secureinfo of my own, but in the mean time it will be nice to at least be able to understand the messages I see, and the menus themselves. Honestly, though, I'll probably just continue to always use my gateway to play my game backups, since it's easier than carrying around several carts, and I can keep the originals all safe and sound in their cases on my media rack.

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I can confirm that, even if the shop is 100% dead it allows carts of a region. As it stands this (albeit updated...) and GW are the only way to get US Xeno on a JP N3DS atm, so there's that.

I'll just use a CFW to make unsigned updates run with my retail US carts. Problem solved!

I don't believe that's even possible on N3DS atm, barring GW... I'd love to be wrong, but I digress.

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are definitely workarounds, but I was really hoping to be able to get a fully-working change that then wouldn't need to be exploited. I mean, assuming you don't mind permanently relying on memory patches, I guess the other option would be to patch CTCert with NTR as well.

I personally own many hundreds of dollars worth of eShop games on my Old 3DS that I was eventually hoping to transfer over.

Reactions: Ichii Giki

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found a way to get eshop working (on my old nnid account nevertheless) but it's EXTREMELY complicated and very hard to use. I don't have the time to go into details but let's try to do this:

1) On N3DS, patch act to use your original serial number. Create and link NNID
2) On N3DS capture the act request. Remember the device cert, and serial.
3) On O3DS, patch act to use N3DS device cert and serial. Also patch it to use your N3DS NNID & password. Attempt to enter the eshop.
4) On N3DS, patch nim to replace return SOAP requests to be US/USA region.
5) On N3DS, patch nim to bypass updates

Every time you reboot, redo step 4-5. You can now enter eshop and buy/download things and they will run. (Not sure if step 3 is needed. When I tried to get the service token from my N3DS, it just fails. Now it works. Maybe it was because of server issues yesterday).

dkabot

Better With Others' Systems Than Their Own
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I found a way to get eshop working (on my old nnid account nevertheless) but it's EXTREMELY complicated and very hard to use. I don't have the time to go into details but let's try to do this:

3) On O3DS, patch act to use N3DS device cert and serial. Also patch it to use your N3DS NNID & password. Attempt to enter the eshop.

Every time you reboot, redo step 4-5. You can now enter eshop and buy/download things and they will run.

Shame my O3DS is past hackable range (that, and not actually having knowledge, but still). Hopefully maybe someday we can do it nicer, but at least it's something.

Scarftail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What's dead? Isn't it only the Google Docs version of the guide that was incapable of fixing the eShop?

Wowfunhappy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one has tested the one that requires a hardmod, but chances are that isn't going to work either.

Here's the problem, as I understand it: EU and JP New 3DS's come with at least one game preinstalled: Swapnote in Japan, and Tomodochi New Life in Europe.

These games are tied to your 3DS's device certificate, a read-only value stored in the CPU which is impossible to modify.

So let's say you change a JP N3DS to NA and connect to the eShop. The eShop sees that your 3DS's certificate owns a copy of Japanese Swapnote. Because Japanese Swapnote doesn't exist in the US eShop, it throws an error and doesn't let you in.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Every time you reboot, redo step 4-5. You can now enter eshop and buy/download things and they will run. (Not sure if step 3 is needed. When I tried to get the service token from my N3DS, it just fails. Now it works. Maybe it was because of server issues yesterday).

So let's assume that step 3 is unnecessary (as speculated due to server issues at the time of connection attempts). For step 4, I assume this would require some local server PHP trickery like we did with patching NIM to update to a specific software version? Would it be PHP code as simple as capturing return SOAP requests and throwing out (or changing?) any NON-US/USA region ones to just have a US/USA region flag? Does this method just try to throw away any invalid (out of region) ticket requests like for JPN Swap-Note 3D?

One other question, if I may. When you say the system-transferring systems need to be on the same firmware because of 3 changes to the system transfer protocol, do you mean over the whole life of when system transfers have been available, or just recently (like within the 9.x versions). I ask as my data on my O3DS is at 9.6 EmuNAND with RxTools and obviously my region-changed N3DS is on 9.2 SysNAND. Were there any changes in system transfer protocol between 9.2 and 9.6 that could cause an issue with the System Transfer? Assuming this fix for filtering the return SOAP requests works to allow eShop/System Transfer access, of course. Thanks you for all your help, we couldn't do this without you!

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So let's assume that step 3 is unnecessary (as speculated due to server issues at the time of connection attempts). For step 4, I assume this would require some local server PHP trickery like we did with patching NIM to update to a specific software version? Would it be PHP code as simple as capturing return SOAP requests and throwing out (or changing?) any NON-US/USA region ones to just have a US/USA region flag? Does this method just try to throw away any invalid (out of region) ticket requests like for JPN Swap-Note 3D?

One other question, if I may. When you say the system-transferring systems need to be on the same firmware because of 3 changes to the system transfer protocol, do you mean over the whole life of when system transfers have been available, or just recently (like within the 9.x versions). I ask as my data on my O3DS is at 9.6 EmuNAND with RxTools and obviously my region-changed N3DS is on 9.2 SysNAND. Were there any changes in system transfer protocol between 9.2 and 9.6 that could cause an issue with the System Transfer? Assuming this fix for filtering the return SOAP requests works to allow eShop/System Transfer access, of course. Thanks you for all your help, we couldn't do this without you!

I'm not sure when the protocol changed but only that 9.6 at at v4 and 9.2 is at v3

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not sure when the protocol changed but only that 9.6 at at v4 and 9.2 is at v3

I guess that means I would need to extract the save files/ticket.db from my 9.6 EmuNAND and dump them to my 9.2 SysNAND on my O3DS before system transferring then... Hmm, or could you just downgrade the System Transfer applet in 9.6 EmuNAND?

Scarftail

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No one has tested the one that requires a hardmod, but chances are that isn't going to work either.

Here's the problem, as I understand it: EU and JP New 3DS's come with at least one game preinstalled: Swapnote in Japan, and Tomodochi New Life in Europe.

These games are tied to your 3DS's device certificate, a read-only value stored in the CPU which is impossible to modify.

So let's say you change a JP N3DS to NA and connect to the eShop. The eShop sees that your 3DS's certificate owns a copy of Japanese Swapnote. Because Japanese Swapnote doesn't exist in the US eShop, it throws an error and doesn't let you in.

If this is truly a dead-end, then isn't the only option left to physically swap the CPUs? Seriously, if anyone can do reworking and wants money, let everyone know. I guess it may be possible to find some sort of service for that online, but I'm not sure they're willing to accept anything but repair.

cjm5

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
So is it not worth it anymore to hold out hope that we'll be able to system transfer US n3DS XL > PAL n3DS without a lot of nonsense? I have a lot of virtual console games but I'm thinking of just selling my XL with all the games and rebuying some of those games on the european eShop. Then all I have to worry about is breaking the region lock with Cubic Ninja to play my US carts, but not the whole process of making it a US system and getting a working transfer, because from this thread it seems like you'll at the very least need a whole other 3DS to sacrifice for the US serial # etc to make a small US n3DS that only kind of works.

jefffisher

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

if this were the case would an old system with something else preinstalled also not work? like say one of those ds's with pokemon x/y? maybe someone could test.
also could it maybe be fixed by doing a system transfer before a region change?
just throwing ideas out there

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

When you have the chance, would you be so kind as to point us in the direction of the memory offset in NIM for step #4, patching NIM to replace return SOAP requests as US/USA? (I'm on 9.2.0-20U.) I'm looking through my memory dump of NIM at the moment and haven't quite found it yet... Thanks for any help you can provide! ^_^

yifan_lu

@yifanlu
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know any of the offsets. The way I'm doing it is that I have a debug proxy (Charles) with breakpoints set on nintendo requests. Then I patched NIM to use my SOAP server.

Ichii Giki

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know any of the offsets. The way I'm doing it is that I have a debug proxy (Charles) with breakpoints set on nintendo requests. Then I patched NIM to use my SOAP server.

Aha, I see. So we would patch NIM in a way similar to the 8.1-9.2 updating process (to point at our local servers) and filter responses from there. Thanks for the input as always.

AquaX101

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

What i believe, is that the eshop only allows you at one eshop at a time, on my o3ds, I region changed my us 3ds to europe 3ds and the eshop worked, (SecureInfo_A was from someone else). But then i region changed from europe to japan and eshop didn't work. I did a method to make the eshop work on region changed consoles and the eshop worked. But then i tried to go back to the europe eshop and it didn't work.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    rvtr @ rvtr: Spam bots again.