create full ubuntu 17.10 install using wubi efi and wubi move.sh

ok for one this is a little long i tested it and it works great for people with no dvd/usb and stuck on windows 7/8.1/10

things you need
1)windows computer MBR partition preferred though GPT should work with tweaks to the tut
2) Wubi efi ( https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi ) official wubi only supports up to 12.04 iirc uefi can get the latest in sevreral flavors)
3) gparted (in ubuntu)
4) wubi-move (https://github.com/bcbc/Wubi-move)

thats all now for the actual process

In windows)

1) use virtual disk service to partition 2 sections (1 for the ext4 file system and 1 for swap space leave unformatted NOT unallocated) just select "do not format" when creating the partitions
2) using Wubi Uefi create a 14-16 GB virtual file (located in C:\wubi fyi) put in your password for the ubuntu install and click install it will automaticly download the 17.10 iso when done reboot
once rebooted it will automaticly enter stage 2 of ubuntu install dl required files and install grub

OK thats it for the windows side let's move on shall we?

1)download gparted in terminal type sudo apt-get install gparted if you get into trouble with it scroll down
2) download wubi-move and extract all of it
3: note your partitions in my case sda4 was the disk file sda3 was the small unformatted swapspace and sda2 is for the FS
4) cd into wubi-move dir (make sure only you'r V file is the only partition mounted)
5) type sudo bash wubi-move.sh /dev/sda2 /dev/sda3 (first is FS 2nd is Swap) it will ask if you want to format push Y in about 5 minutes it will copy all directories including saved files,it will also update grub for you
reboot and select your new fs partition in grub
6:once in your new one open terminal and get into gparted
delete your win partition (don't worry it's fine I assume your partition for win is sda1)
7: go back to wubi move and do sudo wubi-move /dev/sda1 it'll copy everything (again)
8: reboot into the sda1 partition and go into gparted delete your old ubuntu partition and resize sda1 to take up sda2's deleted space
DONE you now have a fully functional Ubuntu 17.10 distro

Trouble shooting

Q:HALP I get a cannot connect to DISPLAY:0 error when trying to open gparted
A: I assume you tried gparted by terminal using sudo gparted, well it's an easy fix though temporary in terminal type xhost +x note there is no sudo it will clear xauthority display so any user can use X applications like gparted until logout

Argonitious

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What are the benefits to this from a bootable usb
  1. You don't have to rely on a USB drive. (Sorry, just had to say it. :P)
  2. You don't lose everything when you shut your computer down, since Ubuntu is actually installed on your PC this way. (Technically you can accomplish something similar if you know how to set up persistent storage on your Ubuntu USB drive.)
  3. More storage, since you are using a full HDD/SDD instead of a USB stick. You could use a USB HDD or SSD if you wanted, though.
Personally, I think Wubi is not really the best way to use Ubuntu. A full install in an actual partition on your HDD/SDD is generally better for performance and reliability. Either option does have its own issues.

I'm not saying Wubi is all bad. I do appreciate chrisrlink's effort in writing this guide. I'm just saying that Wubi is better as a trial run of Ubuntu. It's a great way for people to introduce themselves to Linux without completely devoting themselves to a full install.

Sorry if that was overly wordy. :lol:

gnmmarechal

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
gs2012.xyz
XP
Country
Portugal
  1. You don't have to rely on a USB drive. (Sorry, just had to say it. :P)
  2. You don't lose everything when you shut your computer down, since Ubuntu is actually installed on your PC this way. (Technically you can accomplish something similar if you know how to set up persistent storage on your Ubuntu USB drive.)
  3. More storage, since you are using a full HDD/SDD instead of a USB stick. You could use a USB HDD or SSD if you wanted, though.
Personally, I think Wubi is not really the best way to use Ubuntu. A full install in an actual partition on your HDD/SDD is generally better for performance and reliability. Either option does have its own issues.

I'm not saying Wubi is all bad. I do appreciate chrisrlink's effort in writing this guide. I'm just saying that Wubi is better as a trial run of Ubuntu. It's a great way for people to introduce themselves to Linux without completely devoting themselves to a full install.

Sorry if that was overly wordy. :lol:
It has disadvantages. You may be unable to boot Ubuntu if you force-shutdown Windows.I prefer to keep Windows and Linux independent.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I guess Ancientboi would be Peter
    +2
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Loooooool :rofl2:
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    So true
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @K3Nv2 Snow Day is pretty fun. My only bitch would be the camera controls, when you move around, say down, you have to move the right stick left or right to get camera to turn and get your view, other than that I like it so far.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    From what people say pvp isn't even worth it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I just been playing offline, and they give you a few bots here n there on your team to help battle. I don't think it's as funny as the other games tho, more battle oriented than humor, which kinda sucks, but I'm still early in it
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, doesnt the game have a campaign mode?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, and co-op, but you can also start a pvp session and battle just with friends. You get special skill cards (powers) the more you play. And higher value cards, but you can only enable so many cards at a time.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If you can find enough for it
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Toilet paper is considered the money, you collect and buy stuff with TP, kinda funny. Graphics are def better than the other games tho, I think they used Unity 5 engine.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Look if I zoom in enough I can see the herpes!!!
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    In fact I'm gonna go make a drink, roll a fatty n play some, good night to all!
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    I bet most people at the time still watched it in black and white
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, Many of them did before colour television was common.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Likely because black and white TV was in-expensive.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It certainly wasn't inexpensive it cost the same as a new car back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How much did a 1965 color TV cost?

For example, a 21-inch (diagonal) GE color television in 1965 had an advertised price of $499, which is equal to $4,724 in today's dollars, according to the federal government's inflation calculator.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @K3Nv2, take into consideration how economy was back then
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah that's why they listed inflation rates
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Sorry didnt read that part
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking
    +1
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @LeoTCK don't worry i knew he was joking +1