Homebrew coverflow snes/nes games

bebs

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
is it possible to add roms pictures of snes9xGX/Fceu like usb loaders?

is anyone interested to do it?

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
Tantric mentioned before he'd like this sort of thing with info for the games EG number of players etc. BUT he's so busy he won't do it himself anytime soon and imho if anyone else does it would also be crazy because we don't really want 115 different versions of the different emulators coming out.

If anyone could do this imho the BEST way to go about it would be to start on the code, contact Tantric, eke-eke or other Dev and tell them your intentions. Then once your code could be implemented best to get it implemented in the "official" builds.

Some of these Devs are one man armies at times and I don't think they wouldn't want the help, I'm sure they'd appreciate some extra working code that was efficient and tested to some degree and they would probably add it in to a future builds. Remember the most emulators coded are open source so you could submit your code to them and if they liked it and hosted it on google code, you might even get others to help.

There are no "really hard problems" here except for the one massive factor of TIME, it would take a LOT of work to get a good working DB of info for games as there are soooooo many with different covers per region too. They would need all resized to a standard that didn't mess up the interface, and also you gotta consider the size of them for users with no USB HDD who would be using SD cards.

The SEGA emulators coded by eke-eke would be nice to have this type of feature too, but I've never saw him mention he wanted it, and I'd think he'd maybe rather get things like SMB integrated first.

As for lots of the other emulators out there coded by other devs, it's easy to ask them if they wanted help everyone I've ever spoke with are friendly and appreciate help where they can get it.

Covers could be identified by several different things like the CRC or other header info and I'm sure there are many coders on lots of sites that could do these type things, but as I said before It's a LOT of work, don't underestimate that your talking about emulators that might have nearly 10,000 games (Snes has close to this I think). I just hope if anyone does this, they help with the "official" builds rather than make seperate builds that would look nice but quickly become outdated.

btw, this should have been posted in the Wii - Emulation section really
tongue.gif

typo99

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not use the filename as the basename for the image file?

Ex) Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA).zip ---> emulator looks for---> Super Mario Bros. 3 (USA).png

Using the no-intro ( http://www.no-intro.org/ ) files for which have a standard naming convention, a basepack of images could be distributed that would work for a comprehensive library of nes/snes titles.

Might make the entire process easier to implement.

Also, theming would be nice. I would like nes/snes emulators with the same look and feel of Oggzee's configurable usbloader.
biggrin.gif

Pyrofyr

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Because a lot of people changed their file names around.

You could also say "Why not use Good Tools?" since Good Tools is a lot more thorough and includes all of those other random half-extracted versions and only (!) versions would really work fully.

In any case, it would be nice to see, but we'd have to get a standard convention around and everything and then find a good dev around here willing to mod the program so that it has the look of Coverflow?

Jacobeian

Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Since emulators have internal screenshot features, it would be easier to let the user make screenshots themselves then use these for ROM snapshots. Files will obviously be named according to the ROM filename.

Otherwise, if you think of public image sharing, using ROM checksum is the only good alternative.
GoodROM or NoIntro naming scheme are not used by the majority of people but CRC never change and if the game have multiple variant, you simply make screenshots for all of them.

Anyway, I really don't think the main problem is how to name image files or where to store them, it's more in adding the available functions in the emulator interface to display those images in pure sexyness.

rizzod

Not a New Member
Trophies
XP
Country
this is exactly what i would love to see for classic emulators, a GUI with a coverflow interface would be awesome as.

riddle43

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
didnt the emus on the xbox let you put a sdreen shot up so as you went throu the list you saw the shot that would be fun im all for a good coverflow emu
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif

Leiw

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Luxembourg
It would take a considerable amount of time to do that but I'd be awesome
Well who knows, maybe it'll happen some day
smile.gif

Retrievil

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
riddle43 said:
didnt the emus on the xbox let you put a sdreen shot up so as you went throu the list you saw the shot that would be fun im all for a good coverflow emu
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif
moogle.gif

They did and I spent a lot of time taking screenshots of the title pages of roms.

The problem with that method is the time factor + the fact that a lot of 'title screens' of roms tell you nothing about the game itself.

I suppose it would be better than nothing though.

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i have already made a version of the coverwall used in USB loader GX that will work with tantric's emulator ports. but i don't have a collection of images to use to test it and bug fix. does somebody have a link to a rar/zip or something with a shitload of snes covers?

giantpune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i am wanting to test out the buffering and loading of images while the program has to search through a folder with 10,000 images on the SD because you know everybody that has an emulator went and torrented every game ever made for that system.it isn't the same if i just use 20 or so images for 10,000 games.

roku93

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
If you can get hold of the surreal 64 emulator package (for original xbox), it comes with pictures for all N64 games ever made. Or at least pretty close to it. I think they are pretty low res but they were fine on xbox, why wouldn't they be on wii..
biggrin.gif

Valguerra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For which system do you need box art? I got some for nes, snes, atari, sega, genesis. Just let me kow. Would love to see a cover flow for the classic emaulators.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night