Could the Switch run a (N)3DS emulator in the future?

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I know that the Switch hasn't been hacked yet, but when it will, could it run a (N)3DS emulator (yes, I know the Switch hasn't got a 3D screen or two screens, but could it theoretically run)?

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In short: Nope, would be too slow. You need a pretty high-end PC to get your constant 30 or 60fps on Citra, and the Switch is not as powerful.
Very true, but that's assuming complete emulation. The switch runs on arm, just like 3ds, just a newer version. I don't know nearly enough about how many calls and the like are similar enough, but maaaaaybe partial emulation might be possible? I doubt anyone except nintendo would be able to pull it off though.

Last edited by osaka35,
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Very true, but that's assuming complete emulation. The switch runs on arm, just like 3ds, just a far newer version. I don't know nearly enough about how many calls and the like are similar enough, but maaaaaybe partial emulation might be possible? I doubt anyone except nintendo would be able to pull it off though.

Yeah... But very unlikely. For example, vWii and TWL_FIRM rely back on the console (3DS/Wii U) switching either on a smlaller number of cores, or on a secondary processor. The Switch hasn't anything like that, just its own CPU. Even though it's an ARM architecture, that's still quite different. And anyways, it would certainly be unpractical and useless, unless Nintendo would like to kill early a console that was quite success and still works.

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah... But very unlikely. For example, vWii and TWL_FIRM rely back on the console (3DS/Wii U) switching either on a smlaller number of cores, or on a secondary processor. The Switch hasn't anything like that, just its own CPU. Even though it's an ARM architecture, that's still quite different. And anyways, it would certainly be unpractical and useless, unless Nintendo would like to kill early a console that was quite success and still works.
Aren't the ARM9 3DS CPU and TWL_FIRM only used for NDS games?

Reactions: osaka35

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Very true, but that's assuming complete emulation. The switch runs on arm, just like 3ds, just a far newer version. I don't know nearly enough about how many calls and the like are similar enough, but maaaaaybe partial emulation might be possible? I doubt anyone except nintendo would be able to pull it off though.

Remember the N64 using MIPS?
Remember N64 being emulated on the PSP which happens to also run on MIPS?

Partial emulation/full emulation of some games may happen if the Switch does run on an ARM architecture.
Less translation in code, cause basically, that's all an emulator is.

GerbilSoft

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Remember the N64 using MIPS?
Remember N64 being emulated on the PSP which happens to also run on MIPS?
That doesn't matter. N64 emulators on PSP usually use either an interpreted CPU emulator or dynamic recompilation. They don't run the code directly. Besides that, the hardest part to emulate for N64 isn't the CPU; it's the GPU (RSP).

For 3DS games on Switch, even if you did manage to use an actual virtualization system (which would be necessary because Switch runs in 64-bit mode, not 32-bit like 3DS), you'd still need to emulate the GPU, since IIRC 3DS games access it directly, aside from some basic setup functions.

Aren't the ARM9 3DS CPU and TWL_FIRM only used for NDS games?
TWL_FIRM is used for DS(i) games. The ARM9 is also used for DS(i) games, but in 3DS mode, it's used for "security" functionality as well. (ARM11 can't access eMMC, SD, or Slot-1 directly; it has to go through ARM9.)

Last edited by GerbilSoft, , Reason: +GPU

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd like to see Nintendo release a new player for their handheld. Something like the Super Game Boy or Game Boy Player for the Super Nintendo and the Gamecube respectively. Thing is, if any of Nintendo's systesm was ever going to have an adapter to play their latest handhelds, the Wii U was much more well equipped for that than the Switch is. The Wii U has the two screens with the screen in your hand even being a touch screen. Seemed like the perfect set up to play your 3DS (or at the very least DS) games on our home TVs. And I guess we kind of got that with the DS VC titles, but it'd be so much nicer if we could just use our physical games and plug them into an adapter so that you don't have to buy the games again (or hack the system so you don't have to pay for the titles again).

With the Switch, while its more powerful, it lacks a true second screen, making the idea of playing many DS and 3DS games pretty unappealing. At best you could emulate both screens on the Switch which would leave a lot of empty black space on the screen due to the screen size ratios, or you'd just have to play the games that made little to no real use of one of the screens.

Reactions: RockRiver

Xenon Hacks

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
th_b6488ee3.gif

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With the Switch, while its more powerful, it lacks a true second screen, making the idea of playing many DS and 3DS games pretty unappealing. At best you could emulate both screens on the Switch which would leave a lot of empty black space on the screen due to the screen size ratios, or you'd just have to play the games that made little to no real use of one of the screens.
Or flip the handheld sideways...?

TheRedfox

blep
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
For 3DS games on Switch, even if you did manage to use an actual virtualization system (which would be necessary because Switch runs in 64-bit mode, not 32-bit like 3DS), you'd still need to emulate the GPU, since IIRC 3DS games access it directly, aside from some basic setup functions.

That doesn't matter; the switch uses armv8 which can run 32bit armv7 code natively.
The 3DS is armv6k but afaik there are no conversions needed for armv6 code on armv8. (only armv5 is really different)

+ it's not like the DS emulation on the 3DS, DS games depended on the clock speed of the CPU. The 3DS is more modern like and games don't suffer from a higher clock speed.

Only the GPU needs to be emulated, but seeing how citra uses opengl efficiently and doesn't waste CPU cycles on graphics i'm sure that won't be a big issue.

Roomsaver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, but do the measurements, unless you stretch the screens and lose their proper aspect ratio, you're gonna have a lot of black empty space, no matter how you look at it, it would be ugly and not ideal.
Stretch them vertically and horizontally by a factor of like 2, have black bars at the top and bottom (perhaps space for emulator buttons).

lAkdaOpeKA

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Yeah, but do the measurements, unless you stretch the screens and lose their proper aspect ratio, you're gonna have a lot of black empty space, no matter how you look at it, it would be ugly and not ideal.
Yes, of course you will. But I personally wouldn't care.

(perhaps space for emulator buttons).
The Switch has already got all the buttons you need.

Alkéryn

Moon Dweller ~
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That doesn't matter. N64 emulators on PSP usually use either an interpreted CPU emulator or dynamic recompilation. They don't run the code directly. Besides that, the hardest part to emulate for N64 isn't the CPU; it's the GPU (RSP).

TWL_FIRM is used for DS(i) games. The ARM9 is also used for DS(i) games, but in 3DS mode, it's used for "security" functionality as well. (ARM11 can't access eMMC, SD, or Slot-1 directly; it has to go through ARM9.)
Switch is arm not 64 butts! But no a 3ds emulator for switch won't happen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +1
    Veho @ Veho: @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip. +1