Hacking Could I rip a partially working GameCube disc successfully with CleanRip?

Akzomp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I've been looking around on eBay for a while for a good deal on a copy of Melee, and I stumbled across an AS IS listing for a Melee disc that "occasionally works, but then crashes, and sometimes doesn't start at all". This listing has a price I would be willing to pay.

I was wondering if I would be able to rip the disc via CleanRip to run off a backup loader, or since the disc is somewhat broken, it wouldn't be able to complete the rip or would get corrupted in the process or something.

If anyone that knows about stuff like this, please reply.

Thanks in advance!

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, it will just be a copy of what it can read. If the disc drive can't get a clean read, due to damage to the drive or damage to the disc, you'll get corrupt data. You could see about having the disc repaired. Either way, compare the md5 checksum against GameTDB when you dump it.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
So, I've been looking around on eBay for a while for a good deal on a copy of Melee, and I stumbled across an AS IS listing for a Melee disc that "occasionally works, but then crashes, and sometimes doesn't start at all". This listing has a price I would be willing to pay.

I was wondering if I would be able to rip the disc via CleanRip to run off a backup loader, or since the disc is somewhat broken, it wouldn't be able to complete the rip or would get corrupted in the process or something.

If anyone that knows about stuff like this, please reply.

Thanks in advance!
I managed to use cleanrip to get a really damaged copy of NKJ [Gamecube game] ripped. It took 19 different tries [found the log] but eventually It finished successfully. From there I compared md5 to wiki of gc games.

worm28

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well its a gamble either way i have personally ripped some pretty scratched and beat up discs ones that would not play or had issues and they turned out to be good rips if you do buy it check the iso hashes md5 ect, If they match your good to go.

medoli900

Open the Benzenes;Gate
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
In my experience, I did a backup of FF CC and Meelee with USBLoaderGX. These games crashed very often (I think it was because of my disc drive that is failing), but after many failed attempt, I actually did my backup and they are 100% working.

Akzomp

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@TecXero @jonthedit @worm28 @medoli900 Thanks for the replies! I just got the disc today, and it is a LOT worse looking than I anticipated. It has pretty severe scratches and even a small crack on the bottom, which seems to slightly go through one of the shiny rectangles/squares surrounding the hole. When I try to boot it up, my Wii says that it can't be read once pressing Start on the Disc Channel. I once even got the "Unable to read disc" message in the Disc Channel. Not having any luck with CleanRip either. Everytime so far that it hits 59MB completed and 4%, I ether get "Unrecovered read error" or "No seek complete". I'm pretty sure this a 100% dead disc unless I repair it in some way. Do you think that is doable? I attached a few pictures of the disc also (it looks a lot worse in real life than in those pictures).

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    84.5 KB · Views: 827
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    134.1 KB · Views: 837
  • Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    142.6 KB · Views: 1,551
Last edited by Akzomp,

TecXero

Technovert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Google around for online services or DIY kits. It's usually cheap to just send in a disc. It might not work, but you'll never know until you try. My guess is it's a lost cause, but you never know for sure. If you decide to look into it, read up on whatever you decide to go with, see what they'll do to your disc and if they're successful with heavily damaged discs.

jonthedit

Trophies
XP
Country
Bangladesh
Hate to say it, but since you were just going to make a backup anyway... now you have the disc, go grab the iso. You fulfilled your moral obligation of having to own the game :evil:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sak is a fishy pineapple