Hacking Could future updates ever potentially be blocked (or damage) A9LH systems?

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I understand that A9LH is initialized prior to the operating system being loaded and hence any updates are performed in the modified environment, however I can imagine that if Nintendo wanted to search storage and/or memory for elements of the exploit and simply prevent the system updating or introduce elements in their update that clobber required A9LH resources they could do so fairly easily. This would of course be circumvented with updated modules for CFW or A9LH but there's nothing I understand about A9LH which makes it 'future proof' (without constant updates from the authors) should Nintendo wish to engage in a game of cat and mouse with hackers.

sweis12

Trophies
XP
Country
Saint Kitts and Nevis
They could mess with hackers. It would not be hard to tell. (SD files, the fact is uses the 8.1 firm, unofficial title IDs, out of region games, ect..)
Will they? Probably not.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
My understanding is obviously somewhat crude but I wonder if there's any method they could employ to actually damage the A9LH installation itself. I would think that the system update process has permission to write to the same location on the NAND as the initial payload right? So couldn't they just 'reserve' that with dummy data and essentially brick all A9LH systems which are updated (essentially forcing A9LH users to execute, manually a customized update instead of just being able to use the standard OTA process)

Deleted member 386348

local death grips enthusiast
Trophies
XP
My understanding is obviously somewhat crude but I wonder if there's any method they could employ to actually damage the A9LH installation itself. I would think that the system update process has permission to write to the same location on the NAND as the initial payload right? So couldn't they just 'reserve' that with dummy data and essentially brick all A9LH systems which are updated (essentially forcing A9LH users to execute, manually a customized update instead of just being able to use the standard OTA process)
You can restore a brick with A9LH, and Nintendo isn't going to brick a chunk of users.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
You highly underestimate the skills of hackers if you think Nintendo can slip by a cfw uninstaller.

I meant more, that there's nothing inherently protected about the storage and memory used by any given CFW or system modifications. It sounds as though there's some level of self-preservation in (as the example provided earlier) Luma3DS - in that it prevents arm9loaderhax.bin being overwritten, this however is the binary which A9LH itself calls, likewise it would call Decrypt9 or any other binary if instructed to do so. I was referring to the underlying NAND inject that calls these binaries, that allocation , is it protected by A9LH itself? If so then it would theoretically be possible for Nintendo to perform checks against the ability to overwrite it and if it (the OTA update) were not able to do so, abort. I'm not saying they can ever stop a user running A9LH from updating system files out of band through some other means, I'm just asking if they could deliberately break OTA for A9LH users and if that could (deliberately or otherwise) destroy the hack itself.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
The payload (arm9loaderhax.bin) can be replaced. I assume you meant A9LH itself. Luma3DS and some other CFWs block this.
They could replace your arm9loaderhax.bin, but legally can not create an execute file without asking your permission first. And of course, the second they were to do that, word would spread and people would just delete the file from their SD card.
The only way Nintendo could remove it, would be for them physically go to your house and remove it by force. Otherwise, they can't do shit.
BTW, the update to 11 proved that Nintendo has been cornered. Their best bet now is just move on.

Last edited by The Catboy,
Reactions: Koko-Kun

phalk

Handheld Maniac
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
If they do introduce a brick code they would probably end up messing up and bricking legitimate users while A9LH users can just restore a backup because of the early boot control of the system.

So, in theory, yes, they can, but due to the nature of A9LH it can easily be reversed because of the FIRM protection CFW imposes early at boot. There's nothing Nintendo can do with this, really.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
They could replace your arm9loaderhax.bin, but legally can not create an execute file without asking your permission first. And of course, the second they were to do that, word would spread and people would just delete the file from their SD card.
The only way Nintendo could remove it, would be for them physically go to your house and remove it by force. Otherwise, they can't do shit.
BTW, the update to 11 proved that Nintendo has been cornered. Their best bet now is just move on.

Perhaps I'm further exasperating my lack of understanding on this matter but you're talking about replacing arm9loaderhax.bin, I'm talking about replacing the code which calls that binary, the code which installing A9LH inserts into the NAND memory. Also legality has nothing to do with this at all. All the files on the system are created and executed by Nintendo and they require no 'law' to do so.

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Perhaps I'm further exasperating my lack of understanding on this matter but you're talking about replacing arm9loaderhax.bin, I'm talking about replacing the code which calls that binary, the code which installing A9LH inserts into the NAND memory. Also legality has nothing to do with this at all. All the files on the system are created and executed by Nintendo and they require no 'law' to do so.
That would require them to modify files that they can't gain access to without accessing your hardware. They can't update the FIRM0/1 because it's being protected and the only way around that would be either new hardware or they go to your house and remove it.

Reactions: Koko-Kun

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
That would require them to modify files that they can't gain access to without accessing your hardware. They can't update the FIRM0/1 because it's being protected and the only way around that would be either new hardware or they go to your house and remove it.
I think what I'm trying to address is that A9LH works by modifying the NAND 0x96 sector, could Nintendo not correct that data in an OTA update? As I said I'm not fully aware of how this works and I'm sure someone with less understanding than yifanlu would be able to explain. I'm not clear why you say FIRM0/1 can't written, isn't that what A9LH rewrites?

EmperorOfCanada

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think what I'm trying to address is that A9LH works by modifying the NAND 0x96 sector, could Nintendo not correct that data in an OTA update? As I said I'm not fully aware of how this works and I'm sure someone with less understanding than yifanlu would be able to explain. I'm not clear why you say FIRM0/1 can't written, isn't that what A9LH rewrites?

If **I** understand correctly, a9lh boots very early in the boot process and loads LUMA, which protects itself by putting the a9lh area as readonly?

The Catboy

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Technically, if you were running a CFW without those protections turned on, it would remove A9LH. But with current CFW set ups, they protect the A9LH from bring removed through updates.
A9LH does rewrite the FIRM0/1, which means if it's not protected an update could remove your current install.

apoptygma

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
If **I** understand correctly, a9lh boots very early in the boot process and loads LUMA, which protects itself by putting the a9lh area as readonly?
I think you might have answered my question here actually - so depending on the CFW, it's likely that the CFW will protect the A9LH install. That makes lots of sense. So in theory if Nintendo attempted to remove the modifications the read-only lock in place would halt the upgrade.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Technically, if you were running a CFW without those protections turned on, it would remove A9LH. But with current CFW set ups, they protect the A9LH from bring removed through updates.
A9LH does rewrite the FIRM0/1, which means if it's not protected an update could remove your current install.

An update running without the protections in place on the CFW - thanks for the good answer.

Reactions: EmperorOfCanada

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/eJV6GaIEgd4?si=ciLPnlhfd7XcrxQn