Gaming Corsair or Kingston memory?

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My laptop needs an upgrade so I'm going to try upgrading it from 1gb to 2gb RAM. My question is, which is better, Corsair or Kingston?

juggernaut911

GBAtemp Slut!
Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
i heard corsair was good for gaming but I used kingston to save a couple bucks. my machine games fine with kingston. I'd stick with kingston for my next build too

Trolly

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Kingston is usually the cheaper option, just make sure you're getting a decent bit of RAM from them, as some can be a bit slow. Corsair is just that little bit faster. Unless you're going to notice that split-second difference, I say don't bother.

The price of high speed RAM is ridiculous for the miniscule amount of speed gain you get anyway.

xJonny

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Corsair's XMS2 is excellent and great value for money, Kingston Valueram is good if you want to save a bit, hyperx, etc. costs quite a bit more.

Harsky

Madmin
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In the end, I ended up going for a Kingston 2gb RAM. My previous setup consisted of 2 x 512mb RAM so I just put in the single 2gb RAM alongside with one 512mb RAM to get 2.5GB RAM.... and it doesn't feel any different. Sure, it started my Vista up a little faster but what situations would having more RAM help?

Lee79

Hyper...Active...Team Fortress 2 Addict
Trophies
Website
steamcommunity.com
XP
Country
Harsky said:
In the end, I ended up going for a Kingston 2gb RAM. My previous setup consisted of 2 x 512mb RAM so I just put in the single 2gb RAM alongside with one 512mb RAM to get 2.5GB RAM.... and it doesn't feel any different. Sure, it started my Vista up a little faster but what situations would having more RAM help?

Gaming loading times and running multiple applications/programs at the same time which not many people do anyway.

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Harsky said:
You can have a lot more open applications, and resource intensive programs will be faster/more efficient (especially games).

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
Trophies
XP
Country
Gman 101 said:
Lee79 said:
Gaming loading times and running multiple applications/programs at the same time which not many people do anyway.

Program loading times is more of an HDD speed thing I believe... but it's definitely a must to have more ram if you wanna multitask (which I do all the time).
I know BF2's loading times really depended on the amount of RAM.

TheWingless

Wafuu~
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I used to have 2X512MB with Vista, but I upgraded to 2.5GB with a Patriot and now there's enough RAM to play some newer games and be able to alt-tab without it taking so long to get back to my desktop. Probably because Vista was not using all of the RAM it needed at first with 1 GB? So if you have a game that takes a while to Alt-Tab out of, you could see if that goes faster I guess. Not too sure about this.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Morning