Corruption In Games Journalism, or "Five Guys Burgers and Fries"

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got the paper plates and cups. We gonna do this?

I'd recommend some rope to strap yourself down, because the wild ride's nowhere close to done.

wn2e1ku.png

Onto some more shenanigans...

So Zoe Quinn/Literally Who claimed that proceeds from her Depression Quest would be donated to iFred, a charity based around suicide prevention. That's all well and dandy... except that iFred says she never once donated anything. Oops.

And now the game's page has been altered to try and cover up the fact.

Picking on the wizards, lying about donating to charity... how low can one person go?

I'm a Canuck and I just wanna say that I don't think this way at all. ;O;

Of course not. Most Canadians are too busy with their hockey and their igloos to give a hootenanny. :P

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Onto some more shenanigans...

So Zoe Quinn/Literally Who claimed that proceeds from her Depression Quest would be donated to iFred, a charity based around suicide prevention. That's all well and dandy... except that iFred says she never once donated anything. Oops.

And now the game's page has been altered to try and cover up the fact.

Picking on the wizards, lying about donating to charity... how low can one person go?

Hold your horses there, could all still be a mixup. Also it was changed on the domain landing page between the 20th and 24th:

2014-08-20: iFred https://web.archive.org/web/20140820180647/http:/www.depressionquest.com/

2014-08-24: NSPH https://web.archive.org/web/20140824180435/http://www.depressionquest.com/

Also this is not necessary sinister. Let's just see how this plays out.

edit: As usual: Popcorn time.

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
The iFred reference was still up as of earlier today. There's no need to jump the gun right away, but it's all adding up to some shady looking shenanigans.
True, but thats the game page. the home/main/landingpage was changed in the timeframe I stated earlier. So this (different charities) might really be just a fuck up.

Instructions unclear. Got dick stuck in ceiling fan.
Thnaks, havent heard that one for quite some time. Put a smile to my face :)

Have a triforce in return

▲▲
Oops.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

bkifft

avowed Cuthwaldian
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Demanding a shred of proof instead of blindly believing her outrageous claims is "batshit crazy"? I see.
Yeah. But we (or better they) already had this when Donald Trump offered a million (?) dollars if Obama would present his "real" birth certificate or something along these lines.

Granted, there is some indications that the august threats were a self fabricated fundraiser (time, neither logged in nor searched, etc. We've all seen the picture).

But investigations like this are not not handled by shouting "Prove it!" but checking the authorities if reports have been filed (which is currently happening). Innocent until proven guilty and not guilty until proven innocent.

Still: If this holds true (no report filed) I'm looking forward to her wiggle out of it.

edit: so goodgame.us went up, the new game review site born out of #gamergate's cry for less corruption.
And what's their first review?
CoC <3 (NSFW: http://www.goodgamers.us/2014/09/11/corruption-of-champions-review/).
(If you are no minor and are up for some really strange shit give the game a go, it's free).
Shoutout to /h/ and /v/ I suppose :)

edit the second: Someone sitting on the fence and throwing stones at GG and anti-GG people tries to compile a list of GG and anti-GG statements. If you are anyway involved in this (or want to be) check out http://pixietalksgamergate.wordpress.com/

DCG

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Haven't seen any mention of this, but one of the cameralady video's has been removed and the other one has been made private :s
It's starting to get real quiet all of a sudden.

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Haven't seen any mention of this, but one of the cameralady video's has been removed and the other one has been made private :s

Apparently they fucked something up legally one way or another. The video's are supposed to be revised and reuploaded eventually, but that's not really important. The charges of favoritism in popular independent competitions are, as far as I know, still pretty legit. People are still looking into that.

It's starting to get real quiet all of a sudden.

Partially my fault for not posting here for a few days, partially due to the fact that it's the weekend, so the information slows down. Milo and others are still investigating Zoe Quinn's potential donation fraud and Anita Sarkeesian's fake police calls, so we have to wait and see what else they turn up. The Gamergate hashtag is still on top of the charts, beating even Destiny, so the conversation's hardly died. Plus, Christina Sommers is supposed to come out with a video on the subject soon, so I imagine that'll be posted here as soon it's out.

I meant to post this before but forget, so... An actual, professional journalist (PhD, too!) discusses integrity in the field of journalism, backs up everything GamerGate has been calling for. It's still an interesting, insightful video on its own.

Also, a transwoman indie developer recounts her experience for being shunned and attacked for disagreeing with the Zoe Quinn/Leigh Alexander clique.

Reactions: Sterling

Gahars

Bakayaro Banzai
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Gahar Common misconception: those writing for kotaku, rps & co are not "journalists" but "bloggers".

Except if they want press passes to industry events, conduct interviews, etc., of course. They call themselves journalists until they receive criticism/backlash/questions, and then they suddenly become bloggers.

There's a smattering of examples of these people waffling back and forth between calling themselves "journalists" and "bloggers." I don't have any on hand, but I'll be happy to post them as soon as I find them.

Also: The Best Gamers break character, deliver smackdown.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

eof

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    fuck ubisoft, and fuck activision
    +1
  • realtimesave @ realtimesave:
    Nintendo needs to release a new console, switch is getting such shitty little games lately lol it's pathetic
  • Purple_Heart @ Purple_Heart:
    Lmao a new flashcart... The Unlock Switch... I knew it's not fake xD
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    A new consoles won't solve that problem
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    It will actually make it worse
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    well actually
    a new console won't do anything right now, because the games are still in development, that's why there are few games being released
    it won't make the games finish any faster
  • Veho @ Veho:
    2/3rds of launch titles for the Switch 2 will just be lazy ports of Switch games anyway.
    probably
    maybe mario kart 9 will be a launch title
    i really want a new mario kart
  • Veho @ Veho:
    What, you mean the endless stream of DLCs doesn't count?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Why develop a new game when you can just sell season passes forever?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm still on MKDS so I'm not bothered :tpi:
    i like the dlc tbh, i'd like a new game more
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    but the current version is still selling fine at full price
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hello
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    sup
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @realtimesave, You seen the Unlock Switch flashcart yet?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll see the 19.0 update that blocks use ability to it
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lol newegg+
    Screenshot-20240423-053504-Gmail.jpg
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    does update 19 really block it
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Update 19 never came out yet. Just the 18.1.