Hacking corrupt firmware?

d0gf00d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have two Acekard i on two DSi 1.4.1E's. One card suddenly stopped working and now has the infamous "an error occured" black screen. I swapped the flash cards and the problem still exists. Is there a way to reinstall the firmware on the adapter? I could only find info on updating the firmware.

Thanks!

EyeZ

Trophies
XP
Have you recently updated your DSi as that's the error message you receive when the cart will no longer work on a DSi with an updated firmware?

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The problem persists on the same Acekard (regardless of DSi) or on the same DSi (regardless of Acekard)? If the former, you might want to try reflashing the Acekard, which is accomplished the same way one would flash the Acekard's firmware for an update. If the latter, you likely updated your DSi.

d0gf00d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Problem persists on same Acekard regardless of DSi. Card is hardly ever removed, contacts are clean, PCB is still in good position.

Another World

Emulate the Planet!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
wiki.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Colombia
if you insert the acekard and it is displayed in the nintendo ds firmware (you can see an icon and click it) then the problem is probably not the bootloader. if, after clicking, the acekard fails to load then the issue is more probably a contact issue. i have about 30 acekards (due to various testing needs) and i have experienced more unique contact issues than anyone else, except for maybe the akaio devs and acekard themselves. i have cards that work perfectly fine but will lose contact for no reason, and display that error. i have cards that simple need to be reseated. i have cards that work until i hold the dsi upside down. etc...

first try moving the dsi around before you click on the ak2i icon. see if you can force it to lose contact. try holding the dsi above your head with the screens facing down, try shaking the dsi a little, etc. if you are unable to force a contact issue that doesn't mean one does not exist. you should next examine the PCB a bit closer. the paper trick may help you, just make sure you use very thin paper and build it up one layer at a time. i find that really thick magazines and things like phone books provide the best type of paper. if you build the PCB up to high you can risk damaging the slot-1 contacts. you can also cause a different type of contact issue by applying to much pressure on the slot-1 pins.

reflashing the bootloader will not hurt anything. it is a great step in debugging because we have seen it get corrupted and cause issues. all of the old bootloader files and instructions on how to reflash can be found in the wiki article: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Updating_the_AK2i_Bootloader

-another world

d0gf00d

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I have tried everything. All sorts of paper, upside down, other DSi. I give up. I don't have a DS Lite and if I can't get the card booting on another DSi then I can't reflash it either. So I start looking for a new card then...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjK2lPBzGzo