Tutorial Converting 3DS/DSi AC charger to USB charger (Very easy)

Does this help?

• Yeah!

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • NO

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
When you mention GBA, please keep in mind the original GBA is rated at 3.3v.
Both GBA SP and Micro are rated 5.2v.

I don't recommend doing this for the original GBA.
SP, Micro are fine.
I tried this one time with GBA SP charger, and converted in USB, and worked as normal .-.
also, i tried with this chargers:
GBA SP/ DS (fat)
DS Lite
3DS/ DSi
GBA Micro
works normals ._____________.
EDIT: I have this cables for a loooong time, and always worked .__.
what's wrong :c

hi I did this and i bricked my charger halp i get black screens should i reinstall alh9

edit: but seriously... electrical tape + soldering is a must.
B-But i didn't soldered and works fantastic .___________.
Why most thinks this can cause *A BIG TROUBLE* when i had this cables since 2014? xD
and never had a problem!

Sometimes in El Tianguis por mi casa sells broken DSi/3DS chargers.
Next time I see one I'll make me one of these.

And, I HIGHLY suggest you to solder those cables, they'll last longer, the tape wont burn, and i'll be safer is you use Cold silicon or that gun-like thing that melts bars of silicon to encase the soldering.
Well, soldering is for bring more life to the charger, someday the cables will won't work anymore, so... time to solder
but soldering is nah requried :I (i never soldered my usb chargers, i always separate + and -, so no need to panic :P)

MrHuu

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Please don't get me wrong. Your tutorial is correct. It works with all devices rated at ± 5v. (or lower but resistors are required or higher using transistors)
What stings me more is the level of professionality, or the lack of it.

The method you're describing works fine for testing purposes for those who know what they're doing.

Your tutorial seems to be aimed at people with little to non experience on working with electronic devices. (experienced users obviously already know this)
When an inexperienced user doesn't twist the wires well and isn't securing the tape well there's zero pull resistance on the cable and a short is easily made.

I use a USB cable (bought one: €1,50) connected to my PC to charge my 3DS.
If a kid with no money and an flimsy untested homemade USB charger cable uses his on a PC or cheap (car) charger, it could do some serious damage. Maybe not to the console, but definitely to their PC or cheap charger. (edit: or Powerbank)

When making a tutorial, make sure you present how it's done the RIGHT way (with soldering and secure insulation), for best durability and reliability.
Obviously you could suggest twist and taping (no solder) or using a thermoplastic connector. Just warn the user it's not the best method.

But please make sure, for the inexperienced user, you make a tutorial with minimal risk and try to educate users the right way.

Last edited by MrHuu,

TankedThomas

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
They're a dollar on eBay. Don't ruin your more expensive official charger by doing this. If you have to, for the love of God, use some fucking solder (and some hea. Tape doesn't cut it. Even electrical tape is not a great solution. But Scotch tape is a no-no.

We already have enough amateurs destroying things around here - we don't need to fuel the fire.
I get that you were just trying to help, and I get that everyone has to start somewhere, but that's why people shouldn't jump in the deep end with electronics to start with (and I say this because I learnt this first-hand).

I already found USB chargers for 3ds for sale but, is it safe to use powerbank in it?

Typically yes, as long as the rating is correct. Basically, if it's safe to use with your phone or tablet, it should be safe to use with your 3DS. I can't remember the ratings off the top of my head so I don't want to write something wrong and look like a dumbass nor misinform, but there's info on ratings in this thread already.

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone reading this, please do not follow this guide. While it might be technically correct, this is dangerous and not a good solution.

SonicCloud

miss americana.
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
But why? :<
I never had a problem with my usb cables :'/
What's wrong? :/
Beeeecause you are not using soldering and electrical tape and just leaving the + and - cables with tape is dangerous and overral its way better to buy a USB 3DS / DSI / GBA charger

Alex4U

i like pancakes
OP
Trophies
Website
www.google.com.mx
XP
Country
Mexico
Beeeecause you are not using soldering and electrical tape and just leaving the + and - cables with tape is dangerous and overral its way better to buy a USB 3DS / DSI / GBA charger
why all thinks this guide is bad...
and then why i sayed: Always separate + and -, no solderess requiered, and if you want solder, you can and you'll bring more lifeto your usb charger :<

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: