Controller look very uncomfortable

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by Youkai, Jan 11, 2017.

Jan 11, 2017
  1. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    I wonder why noone has made a thread about it yet ...
    For me it looks like the Controller will be VERY uncomfortable.

Even when it is stuck together it looks kind of small and weirdly shaped but if you take them off and have this thing in your hand which looks like you have to search for it with a microscope (yeah I know I am overdoing it a little) I doub't it feels good to have those in your hand and try to controll the game with it.

Like if you sweat a little and it slips around in your hand you would have more work not letting it fall out of your hand than anything else ...

I'd probably only buy the Switch if there are classic controller or I could test the controller and see for myself that it is not half as bad as I assume it to be

2. CallieMarie

Newcomer CallieMarie Member

Netherlands
    Yes, could be an 'interesting' mix of Pokémon Mini handheld and original NES controller ergonomics. ^^

3. leonmagnus99

Member leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Iraq
    i agree with the op.
    the on screen controllers look so tiny and fragile ( i hope that will not be the case on the actual thing )

best would be to actually hold it to feel it in the hand.

for example some people dislike the WiiU gamepad maybe becuase they feel like it is uncomfy for them or that it is too heavy? so they go on and purchase a pro controller to fix that issue.

i personally love the WiiU Gamepad, it is comfy to me and not that heavy.

(the switch on screen controller) will come down to how it will feel for us in the end i suppose.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  4. TotalInsanity4

Member TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    Nintendo is very good at making controllers that look awful and uncomfortable but are actually surprisingly ergonomic. I wouldn't fret because I suspect that's the case here as well

Last edited by TotalInsanity4, Jan 12, 2017 - Reason: Adverbs are a thing
    elBenyo, jpx86, cheuble and 7 others like this.
  5. BlackWizzard17

Member BlackWizzard17 Don't worry Captin we'll buff out those scratches.

United States
    Remember the N64?
    Remember the Gamecube?
    Remember the wii and wii u?
    All had some sort of weird controller design yet Nintendo made them feel comfortable, at least that's how I felt everytime I picked up any of the controllers.

Last edited by BlackWizzard17, Jan 11, 2017
    elBenyo, gamefan5, XRaTiX and 2 others like this.
  6. StarTrekVoyager

Member StarTrekVoyager Soon™

France
    Indeed, the Wii U gamepad seemed very uncomfortable and I was really surprised when I purchased my Wii U. So about the Switch controllers, I just would say 'wait and see'...

7. Veho

Global Moderator Veho The man who cried "Ni".

Croatia
    It does look uncomfortable. The GBA SP was uncomfortable, the DS was uncomfortable, and the 3DS is uncomfortable, and the Switch will probably be uncomfortable. Comfortable controllers are large and chunky, and you can't have that on a device that's supposed to fit in your pocket (not that any handheld after the GBA SP fit in any of my pockets, but that's another story). So yeah, it will be hand cramp land until you get used to it.

8. xile6

Member xile6 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    Well you know nintendo isnt about comfort, there about making new controllers ever system lol....

But really i would have to hold it and see.
    I thought the wii u gamepad would be a bit off but after a few days it was all good. And i went back to a ps3 controller at the time and it felt really small to me.

So i just gotta wait till i can hold one and see how it feels

Dgabriel and Rudelof like this.
  9. wiewiec

Newcomer wiewiec Advanced Member

Poland
    And they ruined good idea of playing on dual screens...

10. Pacheko17

Member Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Brazil
    Classic Controller is confirmed since well... The trailer.

11. KingVamp

Member KingVamp Great... AETHER!

United States
    Well, I been playing portable and console gaming since most of my whole life, and well, I don't remember ever having problems with the controls. Except maybe "the claw" with the PSP. So, I'm sure I'll be fine. I guess they could have made them a bit wider for other people tho.

12. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Well I liked the Gamecubes controller design ^^V and even though they N64 one was very weird it became one of my all time favorites ... Wii ... well the Wii is the reason I did not buy the WiiU so no idea about the controller (Wii mote and nunchuck is the worst controller ever made)

I guess with small Hands like the japanese probably have it could be good but if you have big bear pranks like me you could have lost in the switch :/

13. RemixDeluxe

Member RemixDeluxe GBAtemp Psycho!

United States
    Fixed for you. The classic controller is completely different from pro.

14. T3GZdev

Member T3GZdev head of T3GZdev

United States
    many said they wiimotes looked uncomfortable before release until they actually tried them..
    same for the wiiu gamepad many said it looks big & heavy before release, but when actually trying it, said it was comfortable & light.

have a feeling same with joycons, they look small on paper but in person will most likely feel just right. dont think nintendo releases these things without them being tested for feel & comfort.

15. IpsoFact0

Member IpsoFact0 GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    None of the systems you speak of are uncomfortable. It's just you.

Anyway don't really care what the joycons feel like, i won't be using them. Hopefully Pro Controller support is system wide.

Last edited by IpsoFact0, Jan 11, 2017
  16. TotalInsanity4

Member TotalInsanity4 GBAtemp Supreme Overlord

United States
    Question: Have you actually held a Wii remote/Nunchuck for an extended amount of time, or are you just basing this off of looks?

17. BORTZ

Global Moderator BORTZ Neighborhood Friendly

United States
    I guess I know know because I have never held one, but playing with the single switch paddle looks like it will cramp my hands.
    Not to mention my styleee

gamefan5 and TotalInsanity4 like this.
  18. zoogie

Member zoogie simple pimp tool

United States
    Yeah, I held it with my imagination too and I can confirm it's pretty uncomfortable.

TotalInsanity4 likes this.
  19. Youkai
    OP

Member Youkai Demon

Germany
    Yes I owned a Wii for 2 years until I gave it to a cousin and never got it back.
    I really didn't like it at all and always used the Gamecube Controller with Compatible games.

Smash and Mario Kart were just unplayable for me with that stupid wiimote. That thing was not a controller it was some weird stick you could put elsewhere and tha nunchuck was bad too as you had 2 seperate parts which was very annoying.

They should just do a Proper Controller like Playstation or the old ones like SNES or Gamecube

20. Mikemk

Member Mikemk GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    The Wii U GamePad is uncomfortable and hard to reach the buttons on.