Hardware Considering Buying Another PS3

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A little under two years ago my original ps3 suffered the YLOD. Now after all this time I'm considering buying another phat model. The auction I'm looking at stated arctic silver thermal paste was applied. Realistically would this application go a long way towards preventing another overheating issue? Also what are some preventive tips towards preventing the YLOD (such as where to place the unit). Thanks.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That's the thermal paste between the processors and fans. Sometimes the old paste can stop working and adding new paste can get the heat to transfer better. It's a solution to help prevent it, since the YLOD is a cause of heat and rising temperatures. There are also a few things that can be done to help prevent YLOD, but the ultimate solution would be to apply new solders (leaded ones for best result. Original solders are non-leaded).

Basically what you can do to prevent your YLOD in terms of hardware:
Thermal paste
Thermal pads
19 blade internal fan
Updated power unit (the first versions weren't really efficient in terms of heat)

As for in terms of location:
Keep the unit in an open space
Don't block the sides of the unit
Don't keep the unit in a closed space of any kind
Keep it horizontally

Btw, is there a reason for a new phat version? I'd personally recommend the Slim PS3 for the smaller size and similar functions as the original PS3 Phat (and still no top-loading like the Super Slim!).

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Btw, is there a reason for a new phat version? I'd personally recommend the Slim PS3 for the smaller size and similar functions as the original PS3 Phat (and still no top-loading like the Super Slim!).

Phat version is the only one which can be softmodded. Honestly I'm not fond of Sony and the poor build quality of their consoles (a ps2 of mine broke down back in the day). So while I am willing to pay for nintendo software, i prefer to give sony as little of my money as possible.

Reactions: MegaBassBX

dekuleon

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Don't buy it, sooner or later it will YLOD. I had a Phat with Actic 5 Silver, the best thermal paste, at it Yloded, and the curious part is that It Yloded after 15 minutes playing... After about 4 years3 years of use.

In my opinion they are designed to fail, so the users will buy new units. The newer models are designed to last longer because they already sold millions.

I think I'll buy the launch "xbox 720" and put watercooling on it.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Don't buy it, sooner or later it will YLOD. I had a Phat with Actic 5 Silver, the best thermal paste, at it Yloded, and the curious part is that It Yloded after 15 minutes playing... After about 4 years3 years of use.

In my opinion they are designed to fail, so the users will buy new units. The newer models are designed to last longer because they already sold millions.

I think I'll buy the launch "xbox 720" and put watercooling on it.

how often did you use the phat model though? realistically i'll only have time to play the ps3 on the weekend (in two hour or so sessions). wouldn't this go a long way towards extending the longevity of the console? plus i wont need to use it as a blu ray or dvd player.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Phat version is the only one which can be softmodded. Honestly I'm not fond of Sony and the poor build quality of their consoles (a ps2 of mine broke down back in the day). So while I am willing to pay for nintendo software, i prefer to give sony as little of my money as possible.
You do know that you just need a PS3 with 3.55 or lower for a CFW aka softmod? Having an older console with 3.56+ firmware is just as worthless in terms of a pure softmod as you'd have to install 3.55 on it. That can only be done with a hardware solution.

The first slims were out around 2009 and the 3.56 firmware was out in the beginning of 2011 with retail units released with 3.56 installed during the spring of 2011. There is a good chance of getting a pre-3.55 PS3 Slim too if you happened to want one. It's a bit more stable compared to the original PS3 Phat sans the PS2 compatibility. It's still up to you, but the possibility is there :)

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica

They weren't designed to fail. It's just the non-lead solder that is the problem. It's illegal to sell items with leaded solder in Europe, so many companies have non-lead solders. The problem is just the non-lead solder is a lot frailer vs leaded solder. If the console is resoldered with a solder with lead, it should stay fresh for a bit longer. Still won't stop YLOD afaik.

The Slim would be a better option still. The heat produced by the PS3 is smaller and thus the probability of YLOD is smaller.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do know that you just need a PS3 with 3.55 or lower for a CFW aka softmod? Having an older console with 3.56+ firmware is just as worthless in terms of a pure softmod as you'd have to install 3.55 on it. That can only be done with a hardware solution.

The first slims were out around 2009 and the 3.56 firmware was out in the beginning of 2011 with retail units released with 3.56 installed during the spring of 2011. There is a good chance of getting a pre-3.55 PS3 Slim too if you happened to want one. It's a bit more stable compared to the original PS3 Phat sans the PS2 compatibility. It's still up to you, but the possibility is there :)

The firmware on the model i am looking at is in the 2's. i'm confused though. i thought the phat model ps3's were the only ones capable of being hacked (regardless of firmware version). honestly i would prefer buying a slim model to avoid the YLOD.

heres a quote from rydian "You're only seeing old info because only the old models can be hacked. You're not seeing a buying guide because none of the new models can be hacked, nor have they been hackable in a while. Sony was rather quick to put out a hardware revision that blocked most of the techniques, and software upgrades closed the rest. You'll need to aim for an older used model that hasn't been updated past a certain point. "

doesn't that imply phat models only can be modded?

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
doesn't that imply phat models only can be modded?

Nope. The revision of the Slim that had 3.56+ can't be hacked as the CFW runs on a modified 3.55 firmware. The thread was updated so that people wouldn't expect to be able to hack a new PS3, since the older versions still capable of 3.55 CFW are pretty much all sold out. At least from retailers. Ebay and the likes can have a console with 3.55 or lower, but pretty much all new consoles have 3.56 since the older versions have to be pre-2011 spring. That's almost 2 years already. :(

The PS3 Slim with 3.55 CFW is a possibility and I would recommend it a lot more than a PS3 Phat. Just the size difference is huge. I like my consoles small so I can hide them from view :D

EDIT: Link to the new model revision and shipping times:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/new-ps3-slim-model-cech-3001a-ships-1293/

EDIT2: Link to different versions and serials for them:
http://www.ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=SKU_Models

MegaBassBX

The Noble Sate User
Trophies
XP
Country
I bought mine back in 2009 and still works like a charm just keep it clean by removing any dust from the fan and try not to leave discs inside the console.

Prior22

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. The revision of the Slim that had 3.56+ can't be hacked as the CFW runs on a modified 3.55 firmware. The thread was updated so that people wouldn't expect to be able to hack a new PS3, since the older versions still capable of 3.55 CFW are pretty much all sold out. At least from retailers. Ebay and the likes can have a console with 3.55 or lower, but pretty much all new consoles have 3.56 since the older versions have to be pre-2011 spring. That's almost 2 years already. :(

The PS3 Slim with 3.55 CFW is a possibility and I would recommend it a lot more than a PS3 Phat. Just the size difference is huge. I like my consoles small so I can hide them from view :D

EDIT: Link to the new model revision and shipping times:
http://psx-scene.com/forums/content/new-ps3-slim-model-cech-3001a-ships-1293/

EDIT2: Link to different versions and serials for them:
http://www.ps3devwiki.com/index.php?title=SKU_Models

are there many instances of YLOD with the slim model? i would hate to get screwed over by sony for the third time in terms of a console breaking down. it is amazing though when i go onto ebay and type in ylod how many broken down models there are. i wonder if this will lead to enough disgruntled consumers to effect ps4 sales down the road.

God, you'd better not buy any game console from Microsoft...

Never bought an x-box in my life :) i'm pretty much a nintendo gamer that occasionally uses a sony product. and the funny thing about that is that for my psp i use it more for the GBA and SNES emulators than the actual PSP games.

NES SNES V.B. N64 G.C. Wii WiiU

Now with extra redundancy!
Trophies
XP
Country
Never bought an x-box in my life :) i'm pretty much a nintendo gamer that occasionally uses a sony product. and the funny thing about that is that for my psp i use it more for the GBA and SNES emulators than the actual PSP games.
Well, you should consider yourself lucky. On a survey conducted on 5,000 people, 54% said that they have had a hardware failure on their XBox 360.

Qtis

Grey Knight Inquisitor
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
are there many instances of YLOD with the slim model? i would hate to get screwed over by sony for the third time in terms of a console breaking down. it is amazing though when i go onto ebay and type in ylod how many broken down models there are. i wonder if this will lead to enough disgruntled customer to effect ps4 sales down the road.
I've yet to see any slims getting YLOD, but the internet tells me of some people getting one. As for the amount of YLODs for the PS3 Phat, it's well in the limits of any hardware to have problems (sub 10% failure rate after 2 years of use). If that's taken into account, the PS3 Phat wasn't that bad. It's just that it's quite clearly the biggest fault there is for the console just like 360's RROD. Both have been fixed, but still people remember them :P

But as I mentioned, the PS3 Slim has a vastly superior track record in terms of YLOD problems. I'm just updating my PS3 Slim (sadly the 3.56 fw model (2504A)) and I've yet to see any kind of heating problems so far with the original 160 GB. I doubt the 1TB will have any problems either as it's more efficient than the previous HDD.

I don't take into account the time I played Crysis 2 and forgot to open my cupboard door. That was quite a natural reaction and can happen to any device - be it a computer, console or a DVD player - which doesn't have proper air circulation available (it was technically a sealed box in this case).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr