Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by heartgold, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Yil

Member Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada

2. Pluupy

Member Pluupy Woof!

United States
    Nintendo better make a stronger revision I fuckin swear to god. I'm sick of this bullshit. If any Switch games lag just like the 3DS I'm done.

I don't care if the hardware itself isn't top-of-the-line, if I wanted a powerful machine i'd play on my PC. I want a device that will actually play the games as it advertises. None of this silly-assed lagging because there is one extra pokerman on screen or because Bahamut used Meteor. Enough.

3. geodeath

Member geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Because of availability of parts and dev time. It is easier to dev for one (essentially) platform that 2.

Also, in case you still think i was talking about the same thing when you quoted the 2 completely different things, look here, this comes from the nvidia announcement:

"Nintendo Switch is powered by the performance of the custom Tegra processor. The high-efficiency scalable processor includes an NVIDIA GPU based on the same architecture as the world’s top-performing GeForce gaming graphics cards."

There lies the Nintendo lie. The xbox lie is something people brought out.

4. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    Excellent work my man!

So we have 0.5gflop machine in console mode and in handheld mode just slightly above the Wii U in power. I can see it struggling to run demanding ports running from PS4/Xbone. hmm... I also believe memory bandwidth is a bottleneck, 25.6GB/s?

5. Retroboy

Member Retroboy GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    thing here is, its only just launched, its launch games never tap into the consoles potential, it takes a few years when devs start taking advantage of the consoles hardware to push its games further.

so this has only jsut released and its lagging playing games already..... so what hope do devs have if they try to run anything more demanding.

unless nintendo have deliberately locked resources away and plan to unlock access at a later date, or dont nintendo understand its own consoles infrastructure or will they release a new model with better hardware.

Pluupy likes this.
  6. Saiyan Lusitano

Member Saiyan Lusitano GBAtemp Addict

Portugal
    So it's a "Nintendo Shield" I brought up this made-up name before and now it's somewhat official. :P

They couldn't just port it as if it were nothing, there are games like Mario Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion that wouldn't work properly on the Switch anyway (lack of analogue triggers).

Ditto.

Zelda:BotW sometimes runs like crap on the Switch.

Xabring likes this.
  7. ov3rkill

Member ov3rkill GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Australia
    Sad, but true. I'm always gonna be a Nintendo sucker. I just freakin' love their games even if it's the same first party titles over and over again. Surprisingly, some of their new IPs are still fun. Hopefully, they will keep on making fun games for me... I mean us... for us to enjoy. haha.

8. FAST6191

Reporter FAST6191 Techromancer

pip
    United Kingdom
    You mean the three pillars thing was right after all?

20 years ago in an industry that quite often measures in quarter years and probably single years for most things, also with a fairly radical departure from storage norms and increased difficulty in coding? Is that relevant here in today's world?

Why not call for them to go third party then?

9. heartgold
    OP

Member heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

United Kingdom
    I can't confirm that with you, it comes from another source which I linked. Sorry.

@Yil
    Switch is indeed using the same X1 as shield 2017, hence why they are similar.

Last edited by heartgold, Mar 16, 2017
  10. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    That's not the problem. They could make Joy-Cons gamecube edition.

11. memoryman3

Member memoryman3 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has improved loading times, 2.25x the Wii U resolution, and better post FX. Plus the extra RAM allowed for double items + Mario Kart TV running at the background for all 12 racers.

the_randomizer and leonmagnus99 like this.
  12. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    That's not a big hurdle to jump, it's as simple as re-binding analog stuff to two different actions/inputs.

13. leonmagnus99

Member leonmagnus99 GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Iraq
    could be man, let's just hope for the best :/
    it's kind of depressing because i love nintendo.

but i think the tons of bashing they are getting , alot of it may be justified because people will keep comparing consoles whether we like it or not.

they will say "Well Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 both run splendidly at 60fp (on the PS4), where as on the switch it will drop from 30 to 20 everytime you are engaging in battles/or in certain areas of the map."

Last edited by leonmagnus99, Mar 16, 2017
  14. geodeath

Member geodeath GBAtemp Regular

Greece
    Hopefully they will.

15. Saiyan Lusitano

Portugal
    On a positive aspect, £279.99 is cheaper than what the WiiU was priced at launch (£299.99 - Premium) but even so, if I hadn't gotten a Switch for £198.50 I'd have skipped it.

Calm the hell down. And you're wrong.

http://www.polygon.com/2016/10/20/13347910/nintendo-switch-home-gaming-system

Even the loyalists end up disliking the company they so much defend.

16. TeamScriptKiddies

Member TeamScriptKiddies Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer

United States
    Oh boy.... This can't be a good sign...

17. Saiyan Lusitano

Portugal
    That is a problem, that would mean people would have to buy an additional controller just to play a game. GC games that require analogue triggers have to be remade or something for the Switch.

18. Yil

Member Yil GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Canada
    Nintendo really need to come out and clarify now before devs are driven away.

Saiyan Lusitano likes this.
  19. Xzi

Member Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

United States
    Nintendo already has third-party stuff releasing on Shield TV in China and on mobile. I don't think they need to go fully third-party any more than Sony does, but I guess that's why we've got Playstation Now on PC. I would prefer ports of the good games, of course, to achieve higher resolutions and frame rates.

20. WiiUBricker

Member WiiUBricker Insert Custom Title

Argentina
    It's not a technical limitation. They could also make the Wii U GC adapter work with the Switch.