Confirmed Nintendo Switch is using stock Nvidia Tegra X1, no modifications.

Discussion in 'Switch - Console, Accessories and Hardware' started by heartgold, Mar 16, 2017.

1. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    Unless they recompile the games to run on ARM with an "emulated" GameCube environment, e.g. a port of the Dolphin SDK to "Nintendo OS". IIRC this is what Microsoft is doing for Xbox 360 "compatibility" on Xbox One.

pelago likes this.

2. WiiUBricker

WiiUBricker Fake News Reporter

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Right. Because they totally didn't quit making 3D classic on 3DS because it takes too much time..

3. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Welp, there goes the whole "SAME POWER AS XBOX ONE!!" argument people keep spewing. Oh well, hopefully devs don't give up on the Switch like they did the Wii U

Not necessarily. The ARM CPUs the Switch uses is simply too weak to properly emulate most GC games regardless of how well an emulator is written. Some lower-demanding GC would probably run, but I doubt anything all that complex will be playable which would probably stop Nintendo from doing any GC VC at all.

Foxi4, death360 and gnmmarechal like this.
  4. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    To be fair, the dolphin builds for android is nothing compared to the official build from about a year ago. 5,0 i think? I been downloading nightly builds over and over, sonic adventure 2 still can't play at full speed. IS nothing impressive, i haven't try wii games cause if gamecube can't get 60 FPS no way wii can, maybe wii ware but can't find out how to get a wad file from my wii console to try one. Is just not as much progress as the pc emulators. IF this tegra x1 is supposed to be better than ps3 and xbox 360 or even wii u (Which uses nindendon't) To be honest not quite sure how that homebrew works on wii or wii with no official GC compatibility. But as of now, i don't have much hope for dolphin on android unless a new tegra system is made, same for the dreamcast emulator which again not all problems is based on the hardware, is the emulation programming as well. Playstation is probably flawless, epsxe is great on this system. Saturn is getting better to my surprise, but dreamcast and gamecube/wii isn't seeing much progress, even ppsspp is getting some leadway. Too bad if the switch had a rear touch pad, it could maybe been a good ps vita emulator, but if one ever gets made, we be stuck with that dumb analog type thing from psvita tv has with the touch screen emulation :)

5. Retroboy

Retroboy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 28, 2015
    i think nintendo need to focus on making switch games run smoothly before trying to port older consoles to it.

6. WiiUBricker

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Also keep the portability factor in mind. The battery of the Switch would be dead before you even reach the first save point in Metroid Prime.

jpx86 likes this.
  7. air2004

air2004 Air

Oct 24, 2008
    United States
    Anytown
    A over priced and over hyped shield.

goldensun87 and Subtle Demise like this.
  8. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    More like making games period. We all know the eshop will always have more content than retail games ever will, and those carts aren't cheap too. It probably will be unlikely to be common for people to buy them. :P

Eshop every thursday get like 8 games, and once every few months a retail game will come out. Probably less than 30 before year end. Even more waste if the games on cart even using more than %50 of the total capacity :creep:

9. Retroboy

May 28, 2015
    que revised model, longer battery, followed by new model with padded docking station, then next new model with better joycon receivers, then new model with improved wifi card, and new joycons with better design so it cant be clipped on the wrong way.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  10. T-hug

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    I've just arranged a return for my Switch as the battery only lasts one hour now from 100% down to sleep mode battery drain. It used to last 2.5-3hrs.

2Hack and Subtle Demise like this.
  11. Retroboy

May 28, 2015
    i think this will be another issue, i mean look at zelda.... £55 fuck off, PS4 games dont cost that much, so we will be seeing the N64 all over again, games that are big and require large cards will end up costing more.

Subtle Demise likes this.
  12. omegasoul6

omegasoul6 ಠ_ಠ

Aug 16, 2007
    Canada
    Toronto
    Is anyone actually surprised? Nintendo always makes their consoles weak as hell. (Barring the SNES and N64)

That being said I'm fine with the power the Switch has. I have my Gaming PC for demanding titles.

Xabring likes this.
  13. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Mar 8, 2012
    United States
    With the difference being Switch runs actual games instead of worthless apps.

14. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    No, no one is surprised. Nintendo never did advertise how powerful the console was, just how good it looks and how fun it is to play. That was genesis who did that "BLAST PROCESSING" bit and now playstaion and xbox will too. Nintendo didn't survive on making a power console, they survived on having casual gamers buy a game for the first time even though they haven't played a game before. If your over 60 year old parents are buying it, the job is done right. Meanwhile people who buy playstation and xbox are probably between 20-50, nintendo selling to even the earliest of ages to the oldest of ages. :P

gnmmarechal likes this.
  15. McHaggis

McHaggis Fackin' Troller

Oct 24, 2008
    Why is everyone acting like this is a surprise? We all knew it would be underpowered. It's a mobile device, for one thing.

Underpowered? Obviously.
    Overpriced? Definitely.
    Stopped me from buying one? Not a chance.

Good graphics do not a good game make. Or something.

16. WiiUBricker

Sep 19, 2009
    Argentina
    Espresso
    Possible, but we are talking about the launch Switch here.

That doesn't sound good. Maybe your battery was faulty. The battery of my left Joy-Con always dies way ahead of the right one.

17. heartgold
    OP

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    There was a report once where it stated nvidia had too many tegra x1's dusting away on the warehouse shelves, and Nintendo got a good bargain. :rofl2:

All makes sense now. Cheap as chips, no need to even touch them, just put them straight into the Switch.

Mizo, Online, Xabring and 1 other person like this.
  18. Hells Malice

Hells Malice Are you a bully?

GBAtemp Patron
    Hells Malice is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 9, 2009
    Canada
    Whatever is in it, it runs BOTW flawlessly in handheld mode so I couldn't possibly give less shits.

Zorua, pelago, Amadren and 11 others like this.
  19. jefffisher

jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

Dec 17, 2006
    United States
    I'm not surprised the shield TV is still selling at $200 and it doesn't have a screen or battery or dock or joycons did people really expect to get all that and a better chip for only $100 more

TheCyberQuake, Cortador and Riga like this.
  20. Fire_Slasher

Fire_Slasher GBAtemp Regular

Feb 6, 2015
    Brazil
    It was in our faces all along!

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.