Hacking Configurable USB Loader

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm trying to get Configurable USB Loader to recognize a 500GB Western Digital My Passport Essential 2'5, formatted with Gparted as FAT32. It won't, it'll count down to 30 seconds, and then present the error:

ERROR! (ret =-6)
Press any button to restart

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fellow said:
... formatted with Gparted as FAT32.
You need to have at least one WBFS formated partition not FAT32.

I have a 32GB FAT32 partition for Homebrew and the rest given over to a WBFS partition.

EDIT: Ignor what just I said, tested Config ver 43 running on cIOS rev 14 and it happly formated my FAT32 8GB USB memory stick.

No disk or wrong USB port gives a different ERROR! (ret = -1).

Can you create a WBFS partition with WBFS Manager and test that?

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Fellow said:
I'm trying to format it using WBFS Manager but it isn't detecting any of my externals.
I'm using WBFS Manager on Vista and XP. If the OS can see the FAT32 partition, so should WBFS Manager.

If the OS can't see the FAT32 partition, I suggest using the default OS tool to create the partition/s and give it a drive letter.

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now WBFS Manager recognizes it, when it click the "Format" button, in a few seconds it says, drive sucessfully formatted to WBFS. In My Computer the drive is still seen as NFTS, but WBFS Manager allowed me to install Super Mario Galaxy onto the external, but when I put it in the Wii, it still doesn't recognize the drive.

WBFS Manager recognizes the drive as WBFS, but my laptop recognizes the drive as NFTS, so it's a mystery of whether or not the drive is actuall WBFS.

In the Configurable USB Loader it doesn't recognize still, it counts down to 30, and then asks me to restart after stating, ERROR (ret= -6)

In My Computer when the drive is connected it is,

"Name of HDD" E:

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
What is your OS, how did you create the partition?. It sounds like you still don't have a WBFS partition as Windows can't recognise a WBFS partition and asks if you want to format it.

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm using Windows Vista, I formatted the HDD using Gparted to FAT32, after that WBFS couldn't recognize it, so I used an older version of WBFS Manager to format it to RAW. After that WBFS Manager told me that the drive was formatted to WBFS, but even after that my computer only saw the drive as a RAW that still needed to be formatted. So appearantly WBFS Manager did not sucessfully format my HDD to WBFS, because it only did so in two seconds.

When WBFS is opened, it lets me install games on the HDD, but neither the Wii or my computer recognizes the drive as a WBFS HDD, it's quite confusing.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Fellow said:
I'm using Windows Vista, I formatted the HDD using Gparted to FAT32, after that WBFS couldn't recognize it, so I used an older version of WBFS Manager to format it to RAW. After that WBFS Manager told me that the drive was formatted to WBFS, but even after that my computer only saw the drive as a RAW that still needed to be formatted. So appearantly WBFS Manager did not sucessfully format my HDD to WBFS, because it only did so in two seconds.

When WBFS is opened, it lets me install games on the HDD, but neither the Wii or my computer recognizes the drive as a WBFS HDD, it's quite confusing.

yes WBFS Manager done the format correctly, ONLY a WBFS Manager and the WII(USB Loaders) can correctly see the WBFS file system, any other operating system will regognise it as a "Unformated Drive" thus if ask yous to format it to the OS's native file system FAT, FAT32, NTFS, and what ever linux uses? is short if you format the whole drive to WBFS it can no longer be use in windows, mac or linux until you reformat it back to another file sytem e.g FAT32 but once done it then can no longer be used for USB loading until its then again reformated to the WBFS file system

when your OS asks you to format just CLOSE any window related to the format

you can only use your hdd for your wii or pc NOT both unless you partition the hdd into 2 parts

1 for wii (WBFS)
1 for windows(FAT32, NTFS)

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've tried both ports on multiple occasions, if the USB port on the outer edge doesn't work I still try both. I have a problem with just formatting this HDD to WBFS.

I haven't found one method that legitimately does so.

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Right click on computer, select Manage. Once the Computer Management applet has openned up, select "Storage/Disk Management" to view the partitions on your Passport. A WBFS partition will be RAW. You need to have a healthy primary partition that's marked as active, it doesn't need to be formated as WBFS Manager and/or CFG USB Loader should be able to do that.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Fellow said:
I've tried both ports on multiple occasions, if the USB port on the outer edge doesn't work I still try both. I have a problem with just formatting this HDD to WBFS.

I haven't found one method that legitimately does so.

read my previous post

Fellow

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The drive is now, E: Simple, Basic, RAW, Healthy (Active, Primary Partition), there is only one paritition, that partition is completely WBFS, meaning all 500 GB of the HDD is for the Wii only.

It is WBFS, but the only problem is that the CFG USB Loader will not recognize it. WFBS Manager recognizes it as WFBS, my computer recognizes it as RAW, I believe this is correct?

I'm going to try to run CFG USB Loade again with the HDD plugged to see if I get different results.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
yes you are right you have it set up correctly, if a usb loader does not see your drive it means its not compatible with the cIOS

Ramzee

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I'm using a 500GB WD My Passport Essential with 4.1E, cIOS38 rev 14 and CFG USB Loader ver 43 and it works just fine. What's different in your case?

Dr. Clipper

Trophies
XP
Country
What revision of IOS249 are you using? Try the latest one in any case, as it has slightly better compatibility. If that fails, try IOS222 instead. My tutorial has both online and offline instructions for installing and/or updating both cIOSes and for configuring Cfg to use IOS222 at startup.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Or Genesis.