Homebrew *Concept* Wii system menu replacement

roku93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Actually I'm a little surprised there isn't any yet. So, I started thinking: What do I do with the Wii? I play games, of course. I watch movies and tv shows. I play around with homebrew programs. Wouldn't it be nice if there were a program to be started with preloader or bootmii that would do everything all in one? I'm no coder so I didn't start the devkitpro, insted I started a little photoshop session.

312xy13.png

artwork pictures loaded from sd:\\artwork\
goes through all the pictures in the folder and starts over.

256tt09.png

The icon changes in the topright corner according to your selection, as does the artwork on the left.

Boot homebrew loads /apps from sd, uses the same icon.png and meta.xml as the hbc, lists more applications per page and scrolls up and down. Works as expected.

Play games displays option Wii DVD and below that a list of games installed on wbfs partition. If Wii DVD is selected it asks do you want to boot it, or install it to the WBFS partition.

Play media browses SD, USB, SMB for media files and plays them.

The whole interface would be skinnable. The buttons on the lower corner are settings, Wii Menu and shutdown.

I think this would be something that would make the Wii almost totally independent of system menu. Maybe with the bootmii mini it would be totally independent of all the nintendo code. Expect I forgot all about channels.. But you can boot those with homebrew. banner.bin parsing is hard but maybe a savegame icon or something would be easier? Dunno, don't bother checking right now.

If I could code, I would be doing this. I can't, so I posted this to get the attention of a talented programmer. Unlikely, but my only hope at the moment. All the parts are there, someone needs to pack them togehter with a pretty interface. I'm willing to do all the graphics needed.

Thank you for your time. I understand this is pretty high-flying idea..

ddp127

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
it looks very nice, but to be independently from all ninty code, we would need to make it without or with a modified libogc because it needs a ios...

roku93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
From what I've understood, that's what bootmii mini is all about. Mini Is Not Ios.. And it doesn't have to be independent from nintendo code, just that system menu is a piece of shit..
biggrin.gif

dinofan01

Misses the old days...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Easier said then done. Custom firmwares are a while off if it ever comes at all.
And because someone was going to say it eventually.

The Wii isn't a PSP.

Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
This is actually the first "good" system menu "replacement".
Because it will actually just be another homebrew app, and no "real system menu hack", and there are sources avaible on the net, responsible for loading media, games and homebrew... so I think people should be able to do this!

Wish I could help, but I'm not a great coder, and never coded something for the wii
smileipb2.png

zidane_genome

My sword has a +2 bleeding... wanna test it out?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Basicly you want XBMC, but for the Wii, so it'll be NWMC (Nintendo Wii Media Center)

I really like this idea, and would help in any way I can, which would be graphics, and testing... not so much on the coding side... I'm just learning how to compile code that others have made...

roku93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Dinofan, I think you misunderstood something. It's not a custom firmware. It's a homebrew program that is started at boot. We can start any program at boot and we can do everything this program is supposed to do.

@zidane_genome: Yeah.. Kinda
biggrin.gif
We have two graphic guys if you're in.. Now we need the coders..
biggrin.gif

roku93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
The problem is that none of us can code.. Expect for a terminal ruby program that asks your name..
biggrin.gif

I think I can handle the graphics if someone would start coding on this. Snappy startup sound wouldn't be bad though..
biggrin.gif

Just don't get your hopes up 'till we have at least someone who can code..

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
roku93
you have a good thing going here, maybe this could be pile WiiCrazy's Crzy Intro, where it's the autoboot file of preloader, and like you're images gui, a selection of tasks, media, games, etc. could be good. not a system menu replacement, but a autoboot file for great looks and quick good looking use straight to autobooting media app etc.

UranusKiller

TranceMaster
Trophies
Website
djdynamite.freeforums.org
XP
Country
roku93
you have a good thing going here, maybe this could be like WiiCrazy's Crzy Intro, where it's the autoboot file of preloader, and like you're images gui, a selection of tasks, media, games, etc. could be good. not a system menu replacement, but a autoboot file for great looks and quick good looking use straight to autobooting a media app etc.

roku93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Custom firmwares are a while off, yes. Read what I responded. Can you argue on can we boot our own .dol at boot or not? Didn't think so. If there's something else that makes you think this is impossible or otherwise unrealistic, please, tell me.

Wii isn't a psp. I don't want it to be. Closer to xbox maybe.. However, this has nothing to do with this. I don't want a custom firmware, if it really seems that way, I'm sorry for being unclear. Thank you.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
i love your idea and i would highly appreciate a port of xbmc to the wii or something similar.

btw. i like crediars idea too but i think it's a bit to PS3
wink.gif

thc42O

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
i really like that bro its gunna happen soon, softmii team is working on gui alot
currently running the matrix reloaded theme

Posts merged

THE XBMC PORT IS GEEXBOX!

WBFS NEEDS TO BE IMPLEMENTED INTO GEEXBOX CORE ASAP
geexbox can be customized visually aswell.

Screemer

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
the biggest downside about geexbox that its functions depend on the underlying wii linux. wii linux lacks a lot of stuff i wish to work for a good mediaplayer. my biggest problem with gexbox is that wifi doesn't work. i don't want to buy a wired ethernet connector for my why.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Communism lol
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    OUR products
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    +2
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    @LeoTCK is your partner the sascrotch or smth?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Good morning
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Out of nowhere I got several scars on my forearm and part of my arm and it really itches.
  • AdRoz78 @ AdRoz78:
    Hey, I bought a modchip today and it says "New 2040plus" in the top left corner. Is this a legit chip or was I scammed?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    @AdRoz78 start a thread and post a photo of the chip.
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Yawn
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    and good morning everyone
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BakerMan, his partner is Luke
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    Sup nerds
    +1
  • Flame @ Flame:
    oh hi, Sickly
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh hi flame
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    @K3Nv2 what was your ps4 situation
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    did you always have a ps4 you never updated
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or were you able to get new ps4 tracking it \
    as soon as the hack was announced
  • S @ salazarcosplay:
    or did you have to find a used one with the lower firm ware that was not updated
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I got this ps4 at launch and never updated since 9.0
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You got a good chance of buying a used one and asking the seller how often they used or even ask for a Pic of fw and telling them not to update
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    Speaking of PLaystation. I see Evilnat put out a beta for PS3 CFW 4.91.2 on the 22nd.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't really see the point in updating it tbh
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Don't really see the point in updating it tbh