Hardware computer slowing down

notrustinsasuke

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
when i first got my computer my pcsx2 games can reach 60 fps, but as time passes for some reason the fan starts working harder and the games get slower anybody know what the problem is?
plus for some reason my pcsx2 crashes with games when I play in hardware mode for a while.

Specs
4th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4500U processor (4M Cache, 1.8 GHz)

ram:16GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600MHz (8GBx2)

hard drive: 1TB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive

video card: Intel® HD Graphics 4400 (I KNOW NOT A VERY STRONG GRAPHICS CARD)

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't fancy opening the laptop yourself, you can usually spray a can of compressed air where the exhaust fans are. You'll see a woosh of dust if it's in need of cleaning. I dunno how great you'd be able to clean the laptop out without opening it up yourself :/

There are some other basic diagnostic things you can do, like make sure your system isn't bloated, that the drives are not overly fragmented, and that your drivers are up to date. It used to be that after extended months of use a OS would get a bit sluggish with its many installs, and some would recommend a fresh install every year. Dunno about the legitimacy of it, but there's that to consider too.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
Disable anything non-essential in MSconfig at startup. This includes both apps, AND non-Microsoft services.

Defrag your system with some sort of third-party tool, like Defraggler, Auslogics, JK Disk Defrag, etc.

Video drivers are essential to keep updated about once a month or so. Try updating these first.

Update as many other hardware drivers as you possibly can. One quick way to check for driver updates is using Windows Update, under the "Optional Updates" section.

Install the latest DirectX and .Net updates.

Run the latest version of Ccleaner, to unclog your internet tubes and free up orphaned registry files. It also removes accumulated clutter from abandoned software after an app has been uninstalled, regaining back harddrive space.

I run all of these operations on my client's computers when they say it's been acting slow, and they say the difference is night and day. :)

Chocolina

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay i have a dumb question, how do you update hardware divers and video drivers.
Go to your PC maker's (Dell) support site as well as Intel support site and look for updated software and drivers for your PC Model/Chipset/Operating System, etc... etc...

You should be regularly clean your fan(s) as keeping airflow optimized keeps your processor as cooler, if only by a few degrees. Your processor won't have to work as hard and keeping your machine and parts cool is the best way to extend their lifespan. I personally use this: http://www.amazon.com/Metro-Vacuum-...e=UTF8&qid=1390783862&sr=8-1&keywords=datavac
Its stronger than compressed air, very versatile, and unlike compressed air, its cheaper over the long run, you won't taste any bitter-ants in the air, and is a great way to dust off your ceiling fan. I'd be more concerned of heat than fan noise. My fan gets much louder than I'd want it to be, but my laptop never gets more than warm, even when playing Gamecube games for a few hours.

If you've only had your PC for a few months, then I doubt defraging your harddrive will benefit you.

If you click start, and type msconfig and open the thing that shows up, you can disable certian Services you might not need like Print Spooler or Secondary Logon, but disabling your services isn't for the basic users, however Startup items on the other hand are mostly safe to disable, and if you disable all your startup items, then you won't have your PC flooded with background tasks/applications.

If you're using a laptop, plugging it in does/might contribute to your heat, but also may improve your framerate. My Laptop does perform a little better when plugged in.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • sp3off @ sp3off:
    @ZeroT21 tons of ingredients contains lactose more or less sadly. Makes them tummy aches and farts-o-lantern rocket launches
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My only gripe too many poppy seeds a cop may taze me
  • RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars:
    "Start your day with Cup Noodles Breakfast! This limited time flavor blends ramen with your favorite breakfast flavors, including pancakes, maple syrup, sausage, and eggs."
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    If our Walmart has them yours probably does
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I came to like french Camembert
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    People get way too self conscious about ingredients
    Grilled peanut butter sandwiches with banana, bacon, and marshmallow cream. YUM!!!!
    one of my favorites
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Okay elvis
    fuck elvis. lol :P
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    My type c cable is starting to die guess I better order one from my desk
    sounds like something Ween would play
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    And here I thought I was the only one that buy cables in bulk
    Nope. Theres two of you! Haha
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    They're so cheap now why not
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I like the L angle connectors which add more force to it I guess which defeats the point
    i only buy new ones when theres a new standard and I have gear that uses it. Otherwise my cables seem to last forever.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @RedColoredStars, Ween made a song about waving dicks in the wind.
    +1
    L angle cables are amazing when needed.
    @SylverReZ Yup. Been a longtime fan of Ween. Not a mega-fan by any means but I'm pretty familiar with most of their tunes.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    You like the wee
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I like electronics that use detachable cables, that way if the cable breaks you can just swap in a new one instead of replacing the whole unit
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @K3Nv2, Ween-er :creep:
    they make brown music. lol
    +1
    RedColoredStars @ RedColoredStars: they make brown music. lol +1