Tutorial  Updated

Complete 3DS/2DS Customization Guide

THIS GUIDE IS OUTDATED

WARNING: This can and will cause your device to BRICK if you do something wrong. Always make a NAND backup before attempting to make any modifications to your device!

EUR uses 11.3 Menu on 11.4!

uNY21V3.png
Index:
  • Modifying Your Home Menu
  • More coming...
Modifying Your Home Menu

1. Download 3DSNUS 1.9
You are going to want to find the Home Menu version that is compatible with your Device's Firmware & Region. You can find this on the Nintendo Update Title List

Once you have the Title ID and Version put those into 3DSNUS 1.9 & Download it as a .cia file. Then, rename it to "HomeMenu.cia"

KKezsCA.png

2. Decrypting the .cia on your 3DS/2DS

You can do this with GodMode9 or Decrypt9, whichever suits your fancy. Make sure your HomeMenu.cia is on your SDCard in your device. Boot up your 3DS/2DS while pressing START to enter GodMode9, Decrypt9. If you are on Luma3DS you will enter the chainloader to choose any of them if you have multiple installed.

For Decrypt9 make sure your HomeMenu.cia is in /files9 on your SDCard

Once you booted into the method of choice you can now decrypt your .cia file.

GodMode9 - SDCARD > Find your HomeMenu.cia > CIA Image Options > Decrypt file > Decrypt Inplace > Done!
Decrypt9 - Content Decryptor Options > CIA File Options > CIA Decryptor (Deep) > Done!

3. Decompressing your HomeMenu.cia

For this step you are going to want to use DeKay's Rebuilding Tool.

Once downloaded extract the contents to a folder on your desktop. Open it and drag your HomeMenu.cia inside it.

r4Bn00z.png

You can now run the Home Menu Rebuilding Tool.bat file. It should open and give you a list of options to choose from. Go ahead and choose Full Rebuild. It should now decompress everything and give you new files in that folder.

3ZsFSfq.png

4. Actually Modifying the Home Menu

Things you will need:
  1. HxD
  2. Every File Explorer
  3. MSBT Editor Reloaded
  4. Cheat Engine 6.6
  5. Cheat Engine Table (By DeKay)
  6. Color Hex's
  7. Offsets & Hex Codes (By the guys over at http://www.homemenu.co/)
  8. Knowledge of how Coordinates works

Home Menu Modding Index:
  • Text on the Sleep Screen
  • Colors on the Sleep Screen
  • Icons on the Home Menu (Notes, Friends, Notifications, etc.)
  • Home Menu Status Bar (Time, Date, Battery, etc.)

• Modifying the Text on the Sleep Screen
Go ahead and open up MSBT Editor Reloaded that you downloaded from the bullet points above. You will need to Open within MSBT, "menu_msbt.LZ"

uiVKHQR.png

68NJusG.png

This is where the Text on the Sleep Screen will be located.

Specifically,
  • lau_b_shutdown
  • lau_press_pow_u0
  • lau_press_pow_u1
  • lau_press_pow0
  • lau_press_pow1
  • lau_press_pow2
  • lau_press_pow3
  • lau_press_pow4
  • lau_press_pow5
  • lau_press_pow5_flw
Let's say you want to change, "In Sleep Mode, the system can..." to something different. Simply, goto lau_press_pow_u0. Then, change the text in the left box to whatever you would like it to say.

FmylTyp.png

You can do this for each of the bullet points noted above. Once you are done click File then Save.

• Modifying the Colors on the Sleep Screen
This is the point where you will need either HxD or Cheat Engine to modify the Colors on the Sleep Screen. HxD is a bit more tedious as to where Cheat Engine thanks to DeKay is very straight forward. All up to you. I will be showing the HxD method.

First lets open up HxD then drag sleep.LZ inside HxD.

n5Uz9sf.png

UcKocnE.png

Offsets for each asset,

TOP SCREEN

• Background - 0x00001CD4
  • Background Glow - 0x00001CD8
  • Background Stripes - 0x00001CD0
  • Header Color - 0x00001D70
  • Text Color - 0x00001DA4
  • Footer Color - 0x00001EA8
  • Line Color - 0x00001E24

BOTTOM SCREEN

• Button Text Color - 0x000014D4
  • Button Text Mask - 0x000014A0
  • Button Color - 0x0000132C 0x000013E4
  • Button Glow - 0x00001330 0x000013E8
  • Background - 0x00001260
  • Background Glow - 0x00001264
  • Background Stripes - 0x0000125C
  • Mask - 0x00001508
  • Text Color - 0x000012FC
  • Footer Color - 0x0000122C
  • Line Color - 0x00001554
I am going to show you how to edit the background color of the Sleep Screen. Then, you can follow those steps for changing the other assets and text colors of the Sleep Screen.

We are going to be changing the Sleep Screen background to a pitch black. That way you don't have any of those white lines making it in my opinion a bit ugly.

Start off by press CTRL+G then going to the the offset of Background Glow for the Top Screen.

CKbnnia.png

You will be brought to the bytes, "3C 3C 3C." To make this black change the bytes to, "00 00 00." If you would like to change it to another color you can get the color of your choice on http://www.color-hex.com/

r8c6oR1.png

Now lets do the same thing for Top Screen Background, Stripes, Bottom Screen Background, Glow, and Stripes.

Top Screen,
qfZIVzm.png

Bottom Screen,
U7eQuP2.png

Now we should have made the background pitch black with no white lines on the Sleep Screen. You can now click File then Save and close HxD.

• Modifying the Icons on the Home Menu (Notes, Friends, Notifications, etc.)
Start off by doing the same thing as we did previously by dragging this time launcher.LZ into HxD. Most of the stuff located on the bottom screen can be found in the launcher.LZ file.

We are going to be changing the Miiverse, Internet, Notifications, Friends, and Game Notes icons all to Blue with a white background for a nice minimal look. Like before you are free to change things up a bit and use different colors than I am for this tutorial.

Offsets for each asset,
  • Miiverse Icon - 0x00031DA8 0x00031DAC
  • Internet Browser Icon - 0x00031E84 0x00031E88
  • Notifications Icon - 0x00031F60 0x00031F54
  • Friend List Icon - 0x0003203C 0x00032040
  • Game Notes Icon - 0x00032118 0x0003211C

Color Hexes we will use,

I will show you how to modify the Miiverse Icon then you can try changing the others by yourself without my help step by step.

Go ahead and CTRL+G then goto the offset, "0x00031DA8" You should have been brought to the bytes, "30 B7 0E" Change that to the Dark Blue, which is, "03 39 6C"

You should see the next set of bytes one byte over, which is where we will replace the Light Green with Light Blue. Change the bytes, "49 E4 15" to, "00 5B 96"

G7KCaGR.png

Just do the same thing for each of the other Icons and they should be successfully modified! We are not done yet though. We need to change the banners that go with them.

The Banners are located in the 3D folder inside ExtractedRomFS.

G0ZSLTW.png

Offsets for each banner asset,

Main Color (Light Color)
  • Friend - 0x00001D80
  • Game Notes - 0x00001D80
  • Miiverse - 0x00001D80
  • Notifications - 0x00001D80
  • Internet Browser - 0x00001D80
Secondary Color (Dark Color)
  • Friend - 0x00001D7C
  • Game Notes - 0x00001D7C
  • Miiverse - 0x00001D7C
  • Notifications - 0x00001D7C
  • Internet Browser - 0x00001D7C

Color Hexes we will use,
For each of the banners you will have to goto the offset in the designated .LZ file.

Let's open up BannerAppletFriend.LZ in HxD then goto the offset, "0x00001D80" for the Main Color. Should bring you to the bytes, "FF 84 00" Change those to, "00 5B 96" Now, let's goto the offset, "0x00001D7C" for the Secondary Color. Go ahead and change those bytes to, "03 39 6C"

mjeEecz.png

Now, just do the same thing for each of the BannerApplet*.LZ files using the given offsets. Just like like the previous parts of this tutorial feel free to use other colors! Get creative! Make it unique!

• Modifying the Home Menu Status Bar (Time, Date, Battery, etc.)
This part will be pretty trivial, because we will be using Cheat Engine. The two separate screens on the 3DS & 2DS have separate coordinates. Instead of 0x,0y being in the middle of the hinge of the device each screen has its on center. Use this picture as a guideline when changing the positions of the assets.

CicWQW5.png

Lets go ahead and open up Cheat engine then load the Cheat Table inside it. Cheat Engine and the Table can both be found at the beginning of Step 4 in the bullet points.

EC1AUtf.png

Make sure to press, "Yes," when it asks you to keep the current address list/code list. Once you have hud.LZ opened up click on HUD down in the Table View.

You should see; Playcoin, Steps, Net, Battery, Time, and Date. I am going to show you how to center the Clock in this tutorial and you can try the rest of the modifications for yourself so you can get the hang of it.

Expand the Time category and you will notice that the coordinates are in the Value section following their respective description. All of the assets are in the perfect Y coordinate, so unless you want the clock somewhere other than in the Status bar it is best not to mess with the Y coordinates.

This part took me a lot of trial and error when I was experimenting with it, and it will probably take you a lot of trial and error as well if you want to get it in the perfect position you want it.

The 2DS, 3DS, and XL Variants will have different sizes. That means perfect positions for the 2DS will be way off from a 3DSXL

Go ahead and double click on the value for, "Hours X." We are going to want to start off by putting the value at a, "-27" Now, lets change the, ": X" value to a, "-8" Finally, lets set the value of, "Minutes X" to a, "5" Hopefully that will be somewhat center. If not you can change them little by little after you follow Step 5 learning on how to Compress, Encrypt & Install your modified Home Menu.

98fntbR.png

If you would like to remove assets you can either make them invisible by changing the color alpha or you can just do like I did and move them off of the screen. That is how I got rid of the Date, Steps, Playcoins, and Internet Bar.

jZ7h5Dh.png

RifiVPD.png

5. Decompressing, Encrypting, and Installing your Modified Home Menu

KeBgVVn.png

We are now back at the HMRT Folder and the Rebuilding Tool bat file. You can now press any key to continue with re-compressing and rebuilding the HomeMenu.cia file.

Once you get to the following message just press any key again to close the Rebuilding Tool and finish compiling everything.

V87Hbwv.png

You should be left to your HMRT Folder with a new file titled, "HomeMenu_edited.cia" That is the modified Home Menu with all the modifications you just made. You will want to move that onto the SDCard of your 3DS/2DS.

With the edited Home Menu on your SDCard boot up your device into either GodMode9 or Decrypt9 and encrypt the HomeMenu_edited.cia file, so you can safely install it with FBI.

Once you have it encrypted open up FBI and navigate to the now encrypted HomeMenu_edited.cia file. Click it and install it. You MAY or MAY NOT get a black screen with an error. It is okay! Just reboot your device and you can enjoy your new custom Home Menu!

To install an updated version of your modified Home Menu you will have to install the original Home Menu over the modified version you already installed, so always keep a encrypted original copy on your SDCard.

More will be added to this guide...I have work in 5 hours and need some sleep. Sorry if there are grammar errors. I was half asleep writing this. Enjoy! Need any help just visit my discord or post a comment.

Last edited by xXPaulMCXx,

Taffy

jdfiehgvrhfvhfjkvgrjhfejvgrjkbjvr
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This has to be the coolest thing I've seen, will try later tonight!

make my friends even more jealous of my 3DS :P

TheDeKay

I call it research
Trophies
XP
Country
It's public information posted by you already. Stop being mad DeKay and piss off already. Should be thanking me for giving you credit.
Yeah I should be really glad for being credited for things I did and trying to help you to understand.
I totally agree. I am so happy I was credited for my work.

Please don't put every negative post on me instantly.

On topic: The tutorial looks better than the old one and should probably get more people into this again.

Last edited by TheDeKay,

Just_Another_Player

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
If i do a nand backup and screw up wouldn't restoring the nand save me from brick?

A9LH is a must here. If you break your Home Menu, you essentially softbrick, because if you can't load the Home Menu, you can't load anything beyond there either. Therefore, you should have a recent NAND backup and a way to restore it, either via Decrypt9 or Godmode9.

Reactions: jockep

jockep

Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
A9LH is a must here. If you break your Home Menu, you essentially softbrick, because if you can't load the Home Menu, you can't load anything beyond there either. Therefore, you should have a recent NAND backup and a way to restore it, either via Decrypt9 or Godmode9.
Got both Decrypt9 and A9LH and a NAND backup from following 3ds.guide. So i guess making a new NANDBackup makes me safe then? Thanks.

Reactions: Just_Another_Player
D

Deleted User

I already asked this in the original thread, but is home menu editing compatible with luma's layeredfs?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: 👈 Always touching 🍆 +1