Hacking Code to Reorder GameCube Ports

bagelnomnom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be possible to write a code to use the player four slot as player one? My player one slot is ruined in a way where the Wii will shut off if anything is plugged into the player one slot.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I assume you have checked if the game responds to a controller in port 2 or something, quite a few will.

Hopefully you thread on replacement ports comes to something. That said shutting off sounds more like short protection, what is wrong with the port? Also are you sure it is the port and not the pad?

Anyway yes it should be possible to hack the Wii, there are four things I would consider

1) Manually rewire port 4 into port 1's points. Granted this is not a software fix but I have to mention it. There are several ways you could set about this, looking at ( http://tr1.cbsistatic.com/hub/i/2006/12/07/4f3061c9-c3bf-11e2-bc00-02911874f8c8/38943.jpg , the best underside PCB shot I could find) it is fairly basic soldering.
2) I am not sure how far the use a GC pad instead of the wiimote stuff came along as far as the general public being able to buy/make something. Again not a software thing, this would come with the bonus of being able to use the GC pad even on games that did not support it.
3) As you are on the Wii a lot of things are governed by IOS (wii) and MIOS (GC stuff). This would require big boy hacks (one does not edit IOS or MIOS without knowing what one is doing) but if you are actually using hacked games (or can be persuaded to) then this could be good.
4) Hack the games themselves, 3) would do for all games and might even be able to do some 2) like stuff if you are really good but let us not go there right now. Anyway this would need to be done on a per game basis. Reading chapter 9 of http://hitmen.c02.at/files/yagcd/yagcd/frames.html and http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Hardware/Serial_Interface it would seem it is not likely to be that hard and may be able to be done with cheats (all the reads, protocol and decoding stays the same, you just have to make sure it reads from port 4 rather than port 1*).

*note that the Wiibrew docs start numbering at 0 so you do actually want to read at 3 rather than 4, the maths stays the same though.

All these require some effort though, I am not away of any simple things you can do as far as homebrew launchers or StartPatch/starfall type options.

bagelnomnom

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The middle tab is broken off so a bunch of tiny metal rods are inside the port. Writing a cheat code sounds like the best idea but I don't really know how.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: The cybertruck is a death trap.