Hacking Cobra Ude!

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
mite b cool
I'm open to the prospect. There are a lot of games on the WiiU that I would rent but not buy. But being in red cabbage land makes renting impossible.

Enigma Hall

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
My question is, we will can play online with cobra too?
I think if both come at same time i will choose the one who less modify my console. I remember some ode versions with cables and digital boxes outside the console. I think it is very fragile and ugly. I expect they can make a version incorporated even if i need to cut some part of my wiiU to fix it.
And about homebrew, even with a ode device i will can use homebrew when it comes, Right? Because will be a very bad thing choose between ode or homebrew. Im thinking in possible emulators like saturn and dreamcast.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cobra has been providing much more support for their users. Since Sony released OFW 4.55 back in february, it has introduced a new verification check that made the odes not work on PS3 Super Slim models. Cobra was the team that offered a real working solution with the swap disk in march, while 3k3y only released their fix (using cobra tools), only five days before Sony releasing OFW 4.60 . Last week (06/24/2014) Sony released its new firmware 4.60 that blocks all kind of odes (Cobra, 3k3y, E3 Ode). For now, we are waiting for a fix, while they reverse engineer the new firmware to find out what sony did.

Odes are good, because they allow a Stealth method to play online, with less risks of being banned, but they are not a definitive solution, becasue firmwares updates can block them.

Cobra milked the PS3 scene for a long time with that Cobra USB dongle, claiming that was the only way to play PSP backups on the PS3. Cobra had the answer all along as to loading PSP backups on PS3 CFW but chose to make money from it instead. We all know how that story finishes up. No way in hell I'd send any money in their direction.

razielleonhart

RazzyDee
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't care for piracy or homebrew. Just remove the region lock so I can buy games anywhere without a problem.
Can't see much info about that :(

i want homebrew and region free and be able to back up all my games like i do with my Wii because i know one of these days my Wii U laser will give out

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
and you know this HOW?
crediar said so
while stripping unused data will surly come, a hardmod will never be able to make a game play on a different region.
The region information now is in an signed area and obtaining the private key is considered impossible.

The only way for region free is a softmod.

jammybudga777

Trophies
XP
Country
i guess the reason behind this is because it only emulates and does what the original disc drive is capable off. or soo i guess anyway

justinkb

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Think I'll hold off on this, on second thought... Some of the wii u titles are really so extremely fun to be definitely worth buying at their price point. Disclaimer: This post is not an admonishment of pirates... ;-)

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Still not buying either WiiUkey or Cobra and would rather sit it out and wait for software hacks instead, as I got 100's of games and other countless consoles to mess with for the time being. Plus there is too much drama as usual and money making DRM strategies.

Just look at the Cobra Dongle for PS3 and then the source code gets surprisingly released afterwards and a bit of a coincidence that after OFW 4.60 blocks their PS3 ODE, they then announce this.

"Scratches chin":wink:

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
If it actually comes out, or they provide proof, great!

Till then, I'm gonna call total bullshit. :P

It's probably real and done to compete with WiiuKey, as they did to compete with X3key on PS3. It is all shady practice like with the 3DS scene and earlier PS3 scene (Cobra & True Blue Dongles), as I think devs are paid off a percentage to not release exploits to enable piracy/homebrew, yet instead use them for DRM products. I could be wrong and is just speculation on my part but like my previous post, the Cobra PS3 Dongle was a major example of this.

TeamScriptKiddies

Licensed Nintendo (indie) Game Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the original wiikey allowed you to play any region games on the wii that's what these type of devices do.

This is really unknown at this point whether or not either of these devices will enable region free gaming. My guess is for now, probably not, as neither team has announced such a feature (and if they did have that functionality, it would be a major selling point, so why withhold that information)? It could be possible that this could be achieved later on using 'on-the-fly' patching which could be implemented in firmware updates for both devices but as of right now, it looks like we're stuck putting up with Nintendo's prehistoric region locks :(.

When a true Wii U homebrew exploit is released and somebody develops a region free loader, this certainly could be used in conjunction with these drive emulator devices for region free gaming off a usb hdd as well. As far as the console is concerned (and any software running on it) its just going to see an 'unmodified drive' playing original games. So in terms of using in conjunction with a region free loader, functionality and compatibility would be pretty much the same. This is another possibility. We shall see who comes up with a solution first :P

Quicksilver88

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's just insane logic.....first off MK8 already sold 2mil units and will go on to likely sell another 2+mil more in the life of the WiiU. Almost every game Nintendo releases reaches financial success. I used to keep images of about everything ever made good or bad, and every territory. Then a few years ago I decided it was a waste as who wants to play a shitty game from Japan (or anywhere for that matter) so started only keeping titles with a meta score over 70, unless they were some niche shit I was interested in.

I wouldn't worry too much about piracy. All the squawking about it killing sales is BS and propaganda. The numbers don't meet out. A very small, small percentage of users pirate and it isn't enough to greatly effect sales (especially not mainstream titles like Nintendo's). In the USA piracy and system modding has become so passé that I only know a handful of people (mostly old school techie types like myself) that even mess with it. Most these youngsters today just stick out their hand to mom and dad and say buy me COD or Just Dance that is the end of it. Sadly today's youth are largely too lazy, stupid, and spoiled to mess with something as complex or challenging as system modding and pirating......just saying.

These newer devices will never be pirated on like systems of the even the last generation. Generally the % of pirating is thought to be in the low single digits (like 3% or less).

Reactions: TeamScriptKiddies

naxil

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Wait wait.... the region can be changed on the disc data... probably crediar know lot of info we dont know... for sure for 100% compatibility and. Stealth is better use 1:1 backup without any modification..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: They really wanna get the head