Clear vs Black Gameshark

Discussion in 'Other Handhelds' started by theskipster, Jan 10, 2017.

1. theskipster
    OP

theskipster Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    Hello! I have two Gameshark devices for the GBA. One is clear, and one is black, as can be seen in the linked images. Other than the obvious fact that they look different, is there any difference in functionality between the two devices? I asked this almost two years ago on another website, but I never got an answer. I sort of forgot about it until now. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

2. Biduleman

Biduleman Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    The revision changes the codes that are preloaded in the Gameshark, if that. Those are Interact Gameshark, not to be mixed with Datel's Action Replay. Codes need to be encrypted to be used, but both version you have use the same encryption, so no difference there.

3. theskipster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    Thanks for the reply. So, they're the same other than what cheats came preloaded? If I want to enter codes manually, they both work the same right? Thanks :)

4. Biduleman

Newcomer
    May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    Yes, both of them uses the same codes.

5. theskipster
    OP

Newcomer
    Jul 15, 2015
    United States
    Awesome, thanks a ton!

6. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Gamesharks that have the doughnut handle are made by Mad Catz. There are 3 hardware versions under the Mad Catz brand.
    The clear one with the doughnut handle is version 2. The black one with the doughnut handle is version 3. The version 2 and 3 hardware use different hardware and obfuscation from the Interact/Datel versions.

Gameshark like the one below is made by Interact, which are rebranded Datel Action Replays.
    [​IMG]

If you want to know what hardware revision you got, you can go here to identify which you got or going to get: http://gamehacking.org/wiki/GameShark_(Game_Boy_Advance)

7. Arecaidian Fox

Arecaidian Fox Foxeh furry X3

Sep 5, 2013
    United States
    Snohomish, WA
    I still have my old GameShark SP laying around. I boot it up on my GBA on occasion, it still works =3 . I did a hefty amount of customized codes on it.
    [​IMG]

8. Biduleman

Newcomer
    May 3, 2006
    Canada
    Québec
    My site had everything backward then, thanks for the correction.