Hardware Cleaning GBC and GBA shell/buttons.

Pokepicker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hi

I just bought a GBA and would like to clean it. The buttons are kinda gross looking, and the bumpers are stained.
Is there any recommended way to clean the buttons and shells of GBC/GBA? I thought maybe I could drop them in a glass of isopropanol and let them sit a little while before wiping them clean.

Is isopropanol not recommended? Should I just use water instead? I understand isopropanol would be usable to clean PCB and stuff like the pins on GB cartridges. But I'm not sure how the plastics would react. I wouldn't want to strip them of colors or anything. Also I feel the bumper/shoulder buttons on the GBA are made from some other plastic then the d-pad and A/B buttons.

Are there any recommended methods to clean the shells themselves? I could always drop it in a bath, but I would as far as possible, like to do this without further damaging the stickers on the back. So I'm guessing I would have to to some manual labor on the case.

In short: What products do I need to clean my shells and buttons? How would I proceed to actually do the cleaning?

Peeteris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Best way to clean plastic is using very warm water and soap.
Let plastic sit in that water for an hour and then take a spare soft toothbrush to clean dirt off. Then wash plastic under warm water and dry them off.

doubledenim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there a good way to clean the metal area under the buttons? They have become dirty so you have to push really hard for it to react. Is it safe tog wipe with water or alcohol or can it be damaged then?

Pokepicker

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you sure its not just the rubber pads that are worn down or ripped?
As far as I know these pads are conductive. I swapped mine on a sluggish Gameboy Color and it was back in shape.

If the PCB is dirty, I would probly use isopropanol(?) to clean it. I wouldn't even contemplate touching any of the metal/electronic parts.

doubledenim

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
As far as I know these pads are conductive. I swapped mine on a sluggish Gameboy Color and it was back in shape.

If the PCB is dirty, I would probly use isopropanol(?) to clean it. I wouldn't even contemplate touching any of the metal/electronic parts.

I used LOCA to attach a frontlight kit and it got a bit messy, so i think that is it. Its a bit sticky at some places

Edit:
Maybe its possible to just wipe them a bit, i havent tried yet. Will let you know the result!

Last edited by doubledenim,

Peeteris

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I have washed my PBC's in hot water and detergents numerous times, so you should be alright with using rubbing isopropanol on PBC. People are so scared with using water on PBC's, though it's just electricity that damages everything if used in this combination.

Torci2008

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
In my payment was good, clean. Poorly worked schifty, wd40 all repaired)))
Well, and the body and buttons, I cleaned as seen in the photo)))
Снимок.JPG

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Sup