Citra - Unofficial \ Chinese builds discussion

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by masaki88, Jun 23, 2016.

1. drwhojan

drwhojan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Where I Am!
    Think 2/3DS might have few years in the old girl yet lol ;)

Game would be much better on switch :)

Time will tell.
    -------

Got a email, my R4I gold RTS will be shipped in a day!, then get my new 2ds xl hax .

Last edited by drwhojan, Aug 30, 2017
  2. drwhojan

drwhojan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Where I Am!
    Seems this audio should have fixed the "Closed" listed games.
    https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2858

If can report is as an issues, It works fine under Mingw compile without this one branch.
    -----
    Edit: Tested its still at it, issue: Close down game then emulator, stalls and crashes, but can close down by cmd faslter.

Last edited by drwhojan, Sep 2, 2017
    NiagA likes this.
  3. NiagA

NiagA GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2016
    Brazil
    in your mind
  4. DaMan

DaMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    Last edited by DaMan, Sep 1, 2017
    drwhojan likes this.
  5. StripTheSoul

StripTheSoul GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Quick question because I haven't been up to date on Citra lately: Are bleeding edge builds no longer happening? At least mine hasn't updated in quite a while...
    And what's canary? Some new branch?

6. NiagA

NiagA GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2016
    Brazil
    in your mind
    As far as we know, Citra Bleeding Edge has been discontinued now is Citra canary man, @jroweboy listed some improvements with respect to citra Bleding edge some time ago you can check below:

* the library used (squirrel) is overly opinionated for no benefits. it installs to one specific location and thats it. the new installer doesn't have this limitation, you can choose where to install to.
    * the old updater is hard coded for windows. there was no chance to bring it to other platforms without rewriting it from scratch. the new installer works on win, mac, and linux.
    * the "Would you like to update dialog" gives no progress indication. People with slow internet click yes and then nothing happens. Because its compiled in mingw its not possible to use TaskDialog for it either (which would let me add a download progress bar). new installer has a progress bar.
    * bleeding edge rewrote two files meaning if the master branch touched either file, it would conflict meaning bleeding edge would "break" all the time. its a headache to have to monitor it to make sure its working. new installer only changes 1 line of the build scripts meaning it won't ever conflict (and it only changes the deploy key line which won't change in master either)

also canary is still going to have the merge of in progress branches like bleeding edge does. thats not going anywhere.

drwhojan likes this.
  7. StripTheSoul

StripTheSoul GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Ok, so where can I find a working build of canary (DaMan's build doesn't work for me)?

8. NiagA

NiagA GBAtemp Fan

Sep 23, 2016
    Brazil
    in your mind
    StripTheSoul and drwhojan like this.
  9. StripTheSoul

StripTheSoul GBAtemp Fan

Apr 3, 2016
    Gambia, The
    Whoops, I could have seen that. Sorry and thank you! :)

10. DaMan

DaMan Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 24, 2016
    United States
    I forgot the GCC runtime dlls. I reupped with them.

11. John1234

John1234 GBAtemp Regular

Feb 26, 2016
    can you add cheat to your build?

12. legend80

legend80 GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2016
    United States
    The one super frustrating thing they are doing with the new canary builds is not allowing the 'batching' branch to be merged, which has a workaround that unfuc*s NSMB2, Mario Kart, etc.. So those games will have big, annoying, broken effects for a long time now, which really, really sucks. I chatted with jroweboy on Discord about it and it doesn't sound like they are going to change their mind. There are obviously valid 'developer reasons' for it, but in the short term at least, the end user will suffer.

That's the one big thing we'll need to rely on unofficial builds for: merge the batching branch to keep these awesome, high profile games looking proper.

13. jselby

jselby Member

Newcomer
    Nov 29, 2016
    Australia
    We aren't going to be merging hacks into Canary. It is a staging ground for Nightly. Or, you know, you could wait for a proper fix which will mean we won't need a hack like that?

14. drwhojan

drwhojan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Where I Am!
    @jroweboy

Could you check on a Mingw build error in #2897 ?, Issue is only under Mingw Compile, It Stalls and Crashes when you exit A Game in Citra Emulator, are Change Game Over to Other Game..

https://github.com/citra-emu/citra/pull/2897
    --------
    Here is a Mingw build, (Note) without #2897 it dose work fine, here is the upload citra_qt.rar
    You will find, citra-qt_With_#2897.exe and citra-qt_Without_#2897.exe to test the builds.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/1ry9j2y5f5utc8r/citra_qt.rar

"(Note) to others this Is NOT a release", A test with and without #2897 for Build only in Mingw Error Only.

15. legend80

legend80 GBAtemp Regular

May 1, 2016
    United States
    I know, but the fix though doesn't sound like it's imminent at all. I understand it's a hack, but it's also a temp. fix for a bad bug in a lot of big games that's been in BE for like a year, which is what I'm sure almost all Citra users used and are now accustomed to.

Anyway, we don't have to get into that - I won't win so it's ok. I just hate that I'm stuck on the last BE for all those games until a proper fix is implemented. That or we can get jrwhojan to merge it into any other future unofficial builds, which is why I posted all that. ;)

My conversation with jroweboy who was very generous with his time on this topic (for posterity):

8:44 PM] jroweboy: @wes the batching changes were submitted to master but were rejected. They probably won't be in canary
    [8:50 PM] Wes:Thanks for the update. It really sucks that the batching "temp solution" is being rejected. Without it, major games are too annoying to play.
    [
    8:50 PM] jroweboy: The reason why bleeding edge was taken offline is it's possible that the changes made for canary could push a bad build for bleeding edge, one without the updater which is way worse than a few weeks with no updates
    [8:50 PM] Wes: ok, i get it
    [8:50 PM] jroweboy: Yeah I'm aware. The problem with the batching fix is no one will research what's actually the reason it's broken. We know it's broken, but by all means, it shouldn't be
    [8:51 PM] jroweboy: So adding a hack like "just redraw after the batch" just hides the problem and will make it harder for people to figure out what is wrong
    [8:54 PM] jroweboy: I put the batch fix in bleeding edge because at the time the goal was to compete with the myriad of unofficial builds. The goal post for what bleeding edge is for has changed though. What started as a competitor to unofficial builds turned into a way to crowd test incoming changes. Since that batching hack got rejected again, it looks like it's not going to be in citra proper any time soon
    [8:54 PM] jroweboy: So there's no need for it in canary.
    [9:03 PM] Wes: Thanks for the details. So it sounds like, for those games at least, I'm stuck using the last BE build for many, many moons. That's unfortunate.
    [9:11 PM] jroweboy: sad but likely true. I care way more about the long term health of the project than I care about game playability. If we decide to add a "all hacks here" release, then the new installer supports that, so it wouldn't be hard to add.
    [9:13 PM] jroweboy: To give an idea of what this hack is, the 3ds game submits a batch of commands to the 3ds gpu. One of these commands is a draw command. At this point citra draws what's there as expected. Well some games put more stuff after that without a final draw.
    [9:15 PM] jroweboy: The patch just adds one more draw to the end of a command list. It's unknown what the hardware does. It's possible that one of the other commands does a draw. It's possible that the 3ds always draws at the end of a command list, but no one has tested either assumption. We know a draw is missing, but where?

16. Gu3DS

Gu3DS Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2017
    Brazil
    My PC "i3, GTX960 and 8Gb Ram" is running Pokemon OR at 30Fps out of cities and in battles, in cities it is running at 15fps, Inazuma Eleven is running at 15Fps practicing the entire game, only a few places run at 30fps, as said previously I'm interested in just these 2 games, would it be worth buying an i5, or a New2DsXL? I know piracy is wrong but in Brazil it is difficult to have a console, SORRY FOR MY ENGLISH :D

17. warweeny

warweeny Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Apr 25, 2011
    Netherlands
    An i5 won't change anything as Citra is single-core only atm, maybe 2 tops.

18. carlosfg

carlosfg Newbie

Newcomer
    Apr 2, 2017
    Are you sure that going from an i3 to an i5 wouldn't be much of an improve in Citra performance? A few years ago I upgraded from a core 2 duo E4500 to a E7500 and there was a notorious increase in performance (specially in pcsx2).

Why the way, I'd like to make a speculative question about citra. Do you people think that, when the official citra version finally manage to get Dragon Quest XI to run, it will be possible to play it at a more or less playable speed if you play it only in the 2D mode? Because I've managed to play a few roms in citra on my E7500 at default speed (2,93ghz), at more or less reasonable speed (Zelda OOt and Majora, the two Bravely Defaults...).

Thanks.

Last edited by carlosfg, Sep 5, 2017
  19. drwhojan

drwhojan GBAtemp Psycho!

Jul 14, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Where I Am!
    After a test, it only happens in mingw, when "Telemetry" share anonymous usage data with the citra team, is enabled.

20. DarkKnightPT

DarkKnightPT GBAtemp Regular

May 18, 2014
    With DaMan build in pokemon ORAS i have 22fps in citys and 30fps everywhere else :) i have core i5 6500 3.2@4.3GHZ