Homebrew Official Citra - New 3DS Emulator

Blobx1

Trophies
XP
Country
The project isn't mature yet, to enjoy good speeds. Although adding the hw render boosts up the speed a lot, that only takes care of the gpu aspect. It is still running on an interpreter( dyncom) and I haven't seen any branch working on a recompiler. Memory management needs a lot of work and most games can't boot up. Finally, the dsp isn't implemented, and it will have a huge impact on speed when it is implemented. Frameskip isn't ideal, esp when the project isn't accurate enough. If you still wnt to more speed now, try tfarley's hd ogl branch, it has major improvements on the gpu side but you will need to build it yourselves.

Can you proof that a recompiler(Idk what you mean by this you can recompile the whole Application or just jit the most used(or some important) code sections) will improve the performance alot? It also costs alot of dynamic abilitys for the debugger. I mean see how Citra works It provides all Kernel functions already in the code itself so that takes a huge amount of work away. So I highly doubt the cpu will be anything critical currently. I think the Gpu is a major problem here as the Hw Renderer branch was proofing it already.

Remember the 3ds Cpu always has to execute the kernel functions itself and a modern desktop cpu will beat the 3ds arm cpu by far distance. So some profiling would probably show why if It's required.

Another cool option would be to recompile the whole rom with llvm or something similar and link the Citra Kernel functions properly as I said a few pages before. It wouldnt take that long to recompile a 3ds application I think.

loco365

Trophies
XP
what are your specs? the only big issue here is the lack of a recompiler or something more powerful than an interpreter. software renderer part was already taken care of by some good ol' opengl :)
Strange that I didn't get a notification for this...

Anyway, my specs are an Intel i3 dualcore with 8GB of RAM on Windows 8.1 (Ubuntu Vivid as well, although that's on a USB 3.0 external drive), as well as Intel integrated graphics. If you need more info, my computer is an unmodified Acer Aspire V5-571P.

I'd also really like to hook up a USB controller, but it doesn't seem to support it, unless I've missed something.

Last edited by loco365,

zecoxao

Trophies
XP
Country
Strange that I didn't get a notification for this...

Anyway, my specs are an Intel i3 dualcore with 8GB of RAM on Windows 8.1 (Ubuntu Vivid as well, although that's on a USB 3.0 external drive), as well as Intel integrated graphics. If you need more info, my computer is an unmodified Acer Aspire V5-571P.

I'd also really like to hook up a USB controller, but it doesn't seem to support it, unless I've missed something.
damn, looks really bad :(
maybe you have a chance though, when a recompiler is implemented

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Can you proof that a recompiler(Idk what you mean by this you can recompile the whole Application or just jit the most used(or some important) code sections) will improve the performance alot? It also costs alot of dynamic abilitys for the debugger. I mean see how Citra works It provides all Kernel functions already in the code itself so that takes a huge amount of work away. So I highly doubt the cpu will be anything critical currently. I think the Gpu is a major problem here as the Hw Renderer branch was proofing it already.

Remember the 3ds Cpu always has to execute the kernel functions itself and a modern desktop cpu will beat the 3ds arm cpu by far distance. So some profiling would probably show why if It's required.

Another cool option would be to recompile the whole rom with llvm or something similar and link the Citra Kernel functions properly as I said a few pages before. It wouldnt take that long to recompile a 3ds application I think.
I don't know much about the interactions and the processes in the CPU core. But I have been following citra development for a long while now and also other emus like dophin. And I don't think you would say that modern systems will beat the ppc CPU of the gamecube, as current archs have better optimizations. You wouldnt play your games on the interpreter, would you?
Now citra has very little features other than CPU,gpu and other background stuff. It doest even have a dsp core. It may be coping with it interpreter now, but when all the features in their to-do list is introduced, it will need the speed and improvements a recompiler can give. The project is just bare bones now, and nowhere near even nogba is, and nogba can be said to be an emulator with very good emulation but the least size for a modern emulator.
All emulator that I know of started with an interpreter for accuracy, as they try to get all necessary CPU instructions down and bare usability, then move on to recompilers, as they they now try to improve what instructions they can and boost speed.

ignika98

Trophies
XP
Country
Cyprus
So, apparently Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate sees Citra as a New 3DS and crashes on startup. I read something on Github about "stubbing the APT command 0x01010000". Anyone have any idea how to do that?

sonicsleep

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Is there any progress on re-texturing ability yet? I don't think there's an emulated console that needs it more. We'll be able to make ocarina of time 1080p, but the pixels on those 2d menu and display elements are going to be shocking if we don't have texture packs :O.

shinyquagsire23

SALT/Sm4sh Leak Guy
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there any progress on re-texturing ability yet? I don't think there's an emulated console that needs it more. We'll be able to make ocarina of time 1080p, but the pixels on those 2d menu and display elements are going to be shocking if we don't have texture packs :O.
I'd rather see dynrec sooner than random emulator features to be honest. No point in retexturing things if they run super slow.

dubbz82

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd find it very unlikely that you'll EVER be able to run citra on that sorta of machine at anywhere near full speed, tbh. That's pretty low end specs for even running win 8.1, let alone trying to do something cpu intensive such as emulation for a relatively modern system.

Reactions: Deleted User

vayanui8

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wonder if I can run anything fullspeed when I get my new 5960x/980Ti SLI build up and running. Lol, wonder if anyone has even tested on specs like those :P
Its more of a processor issue for speeds, so unfortunately it still won't be playable for you. I don't think theres any processors available that will run games full speed either

emmauss

Trophies
XP
Country
Ghana
Its more of a processor issue for speeds, so unfortunately it still won't be playable for you. I don't think theres any processors available that will run games full speed either
Current systems can potentially run citra at full speed. even a 1.7 ghz haswell can run it as long as the necessary optimizations are coded. But currently citra doesn't even have all 3ds services implemented and it is running on an interpreter, so even the fastest system 20 years from now will not run anything at full speed( except homebrew) the way citra is now.
I regularly test citra on my i5 4210u with geforce 840m and my system doesn't not even turbo-boost on all cores for citra, and when I run dolphin, everything is pushed to the maximum, and some games run slow even with that. Citra will run at the same slow speed even if you use an overclocked K-series and a 980ti

Romsstar

Operation Decoded
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Even Cubic Ninja runs with roughly 5 FPS on my i7 4710HQ and GTX 850M. So I guess that's roughly the minimum, the way Citra currently is. But this will all change once it gets JIT Dynarec.

Tjessx

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
While programming an 3ds homebrew app i get this error message: "unmapped Write".
The homebrew runs fine though, any idea what could cause that?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: @NinStar I like it gentle, then rough, then gentle again. Then I nap. +1