CISPA has been passed by US House

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by AlanJohn, Apr 27, 2012.

Apr 27, 2012

AlanJohn Fuck you and a happy new year! :3

Message Count:
    Ukraine
    [IMG]

The US House of Representatives has just passed the controversial Cyber Intelligence Sharing and Protection Act, or CISPA (HR 3523) by a vote of 248 to 168. The bill passed mostly along party lines, backed by House Republicans. While the bill is intended to safeguard the US against "cyber threats," critics say that it is too vague and broad, and would give government and military intelligence agencies the ability to inspect private data without the use of warrants. While the bill hasn't garnered the same level of outrage as SOPA did in recent months from companies like Google or Facebook (Facebook supports CISPA), web advocates have been vocal in their opposition to the bill.

The Obama administration has already strongly opposed CISPA and threatened to veto it, so it's not likely that this particular version of the bill will pass. The White House says that the bill lacks civilian oversight and privacy protections, and that "without clear legal protections and independent oversight, information sharing legislation will undermine the public's trust in the government as well as in the internet by undermining fundamental privacy, confidentiality, civil liberties, and consumer protections." Still, the White House has signaled that it is interested in some form of cyber security bill, so this won't likely be its final act.

:arrow: Source

X_XSlashX_X New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Meh.... All I gotta say

ScarletCrystals Useless Bunny of Paradise

Message Count:
    Canada
    Fugu....
    Thank you Obama.

Hyro-Sama I'm from the fucking future.

Message Count:
    Japan
    Ah FUCK IT.

Apocalypse 2012!
    [IMG]

FAIL.

This isn't Obama's fault. He has no control over the US House of Representatives. Moreover, he most likely going to veto the bill.
    1 people like this.

AlanJohn Fuck you and a happy new year! :3

Message Count:
    Ukraine
    I think he meant that Obama hates CISPA a lot, and has threatened it multiple times already.
    So Obama is our only hope.
    1 people like this.

Message Count:
    Japan
    [IMG]
    4 people like this.
    • Global Moderator

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Message Count:
    United States
    Well, guys. I suppose it's time to cut the cord. I'll be calling my ISP to cancel my contract if this doesn't get vetoed.
    3 people like this.

Message Count:
    Japan
    It was nice knowing you.

Snailface My frothing demand for 3ds homebrew is increasing

Message Count:
    Engine Room with Cyan, watching him learn.
    United States
    Lol, that makes about as much sense as a hunger strike.
    "I'll show them ... by hurting myself!" :rofl:

It'll get vetoed, so relax. :P
    2 people like this.
    • Global Moderator

TwinRetro Don't start nothin', Won't be nothin'

Message Count:
    United States
    I'm not doing it as a protest, I'm doing it for my own protection. No data in or out means no data to monitor.

Yuki Amano New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Obama, if you don't veto, I'm going to throw my computer out of the window, destroy my 3DS, and hunger myself until the government changes the law.

DDTarZan New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Help me Obama-Wan Kenobi, you're my only hope.
    2 people like this.

Sora de Eclaune The Famicom-Eyed Beast of the West

Message Count:
    United States
    If this gets passed, I will gather a group of people. We will go to the white house.

And we will all wear fat suits and attempt to enter the white house all at the same time, so we get stuck in such a way that it takes hours to get us out.

We will do this with the reasoning that we were going to tell Obama not to pass CISPA.

We will do this repeatedly until they decide to veto the bill.
    2 people like this.
    • Reporter

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Message Count:
    United States
    You know what always cracks me up? The people who complain about legislation like this and claim that our government is horribly broken... and can't be bothered to get out and vote at the same time. Seriously, refusing to vote is about the worst political statement (if you can even call it that) you can make.

I'm not attacking anyone on this thread, but if this riles you up, don't sit on the sidelines. Vote for Representatives who opposed it, and vote out the ones that supported it (here's a handy list of who voted for what). Even if you can't vote, write to your Representatives and Senators about the issue, and spread the message to others. Otherwise, you're not going to see much in the way of progress.
    2 people like this.

CollosalPokemon ばん。。。かい

Message Count:
    United States
    Meh. I'll keep some web debugging tools and tunnelers on the side to be safe, but if the big man (President Obama currently) is strongly against making this a law (mentioned in the OP's quote) I highly doubt it will get passed.

smile72 NewsBot

Message Count:
    United States
    Yay!!!!! Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, Sheila Jackson Lee and Judy Chu voted no! Where's the speaker John Boehner though???????? I know he probably voted yes, like the ass he is, but, he's not on the list.

Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

Message Count:
    United States
    I think he's getting a "Boehner" over this bill.

Sorry, Boehner puns are always classic.

But it will probably get vetoed and if they can't get a proper majority then we're saved once again.
    1 people like this.

smile72 NewsBot

Message Count:
    United States
    Before, anyone starts attacking liberal Democrats (as some Republicans might do). The only Democrats who voted aye, were all DINOs or moderate. Like Daniel Lipinski,whom I have a deep hatred for, and if I'm still in district 3, will vote for a Republican rather than have to vote for him. I hate Republicans, but I hate fake Democrats even more.

Edit: WOO HOO, just found out due to redistricting I'm in district 4. I love you, Luis Gutierrez!!!!!!!!!!

Message Count:
    Japan
    I thought changing districts was made illegal by the Capitol?
    1 people like this.

alphamule New Member

Message Count:
    United States
    Or better yet: You vote against the Orrin Hatches of the world and then you get the Carl Levins. Some choice there... bah. And of course practically everyone only votes Rep/Dem. We're severely screwed no matter who we vote for. Notice 'for' and not 'against' which is by design of a 2-party system.

I should probably not post anymore on this topic as it'll probably start a flame war. Actually, sc**w it, if you get mad because of this, then you're probably just the type that's putting yourself into an early grave due to blood pressure.

SPONSORED LINKS