Hacking cIOSX rev21d2x: Yet Another Hot Fix!!!!

Did d2x work for you?

• Yes, I had an issue with the official cios and d2x fixed it

Votes: 93 48.2%
  • Yes, but everything was already working for me with the official cios

Votes: 82 42.5%
  • No, and I posted what goes wrong

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • No, and I won't report what goes wrong because I am a troll

Votes: 9 4.7%

• Total voters

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
Can this EHCI module just be swapped for the buggy one in an existing .wad of the cIOS, or would doing it manually require other steps? If so, which .app is it for each given base IOS? I would like to use this, but I would like to fix it in all of my cIOSes, not just 249 and 250 (since those are the only options in ModMii...), so I would like to be able to just dump all of my cIOSes, patch them and reinstall. Here's what I have installed:

IOS246[56]
IOS247[57]
IOS248[58] (I'm assuming base 58 uses Nintendo's EHCI module, so no need for it here).
IOS249[38]
IOS250[37]

How can I do this? Or would it be easier to use ModMii to create the cIOSes and just modify the tmd to change the install slot?

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
the easiest method,
just use ModMii's Advanced Downloads feature, select the cIOS u want to modify, then enter the new cIOS slot and version number when prompted, then install the new wads like normal

about what u were asking, u can check the .app file using a hex editor, if u look near the very end of the file, the authors typically title the files, like mload or ehci, etc. Then just unpack the wad, and repack it using the modified ehci module

jesquinas

Trophies
XP
Country
eN-t said:
@.44magnum, @jesquinas:

OK, I'll try to explain the whole situation as detailed as I can.

First off, my Wii setup:
4.3Ev2
all IOS and cIOS up-to-date (Hermes 5.1, Waninkoko rev21, IOS58 rev6176...)
boot2v4, BootMii as IOS, PriiLoader installed
SD Card for Homebrew
USB-Drive for Games and Media

My homebrew apps:
HBC 1.0.8 running IOS58
USB Loader GX 2.0 rev1067 (on SD Card)
WiiMC 1.1.2 (on SD Card)
and other, but that doesn't matter

My cIOSes:
202[base60] (Hermes 5.1)
222[base38] (Hermes 5.1)
223[base37] (Hermes 5.1)
224[base57] (Hermes 5.1)
249[base57] (Waninkoko rev21 OR d2x v2)
250[base38] (Waninkoko rev21 OR d2x v2)

My problem in detail:
When I start games (through any cIOS via any Loader) or homebrew (mostly IOS58, but also others) which make use of the USB drive, I encouter...
- NO problems in ANY situation with my "WD My Passport 250GB" (formatted WBFS for games and FAT32 for other files [roms, movies...])
- NO problems in ANY situation with my "32 GB Transcend HighSpeed USB Stick" (formatted WBFS for games and FAT32 for other files [roms, movies...])
- sth. like LAGS in almost EVERY situation with my "WD Elements 500GB" (formatted WBFS for games and FAT32 for other files [roms, movies...])

Those LAGS only appear when using the "WD Elements 500GB". For games (started with Hermes and Waninkokos) and for homebrew apps (started with IOS58 and others). These LAGS sometimes do not appear for a while but sometimes it lags really often. These LAGS are best seen in WiiMC and also in Zelda: TP.

For the ones who try to reproduce the LAGS with a WD Elements drive, try this:
EITHER
- format the drive to FAT32 and put some files and folders onto the drive
- then start WiiMC (1.1.2) through HBC running on IOS58
- just navigate through the folders and files a little, start some files, end playback, navigate again
--> you _should_ encouter some "lags": it takes long to open files or folders, sometimes when trying to open a folder there is a timeout ("could not be opened"), but after trying a second or third time it works like a charm - THIS is what I get
OR
- format the drive to WBFS (although I think you can also use other formats)
- install Zelda: TP
- start the game through any USB Loader (I use USB Loader GX 2.0 rev1067, but the problem already encountered in version 1.x rev938) using any cIOS, I used Waninkokos official IOS249 rev20b and rev21 [base57, but base58 or base56 made no difference for me]
- run around a little in the game and do some things, e.g.
--> kill some enemies, pickup blue, yellow, red, purple, orange or silver rupees,
--> transform to wolf,
--> teleport, show map,
--> do some fishing...
- you SHOULD encounter LAGS when
--> picking up certain rupees for the first time (it takes several seconds to display the rupees when picked up)
--> transforming to wolf or human (Link transforms to the wolf and you see the shape, but it takes a while to display the textures or model)
--> teleporting (it should take a while to display the map, the map menu opens up fast but there is no map for some seconds)
--> fishing (it takes seconds to display the text string saying "Super!" or sth. like that when you catch a fish).

I think that's because the HDD spins down because I tried everything (other format, other cIOS versions, other base IOS, other sector size/cluster size for HDD, other partitioning for HDD...) and nothing helped. But with my new HDD or USB stick, there are no problems, no matter what.

I will try cIOSX rev21 249[57]d2x v2 wednesday in Zelda: TP with the laggy HDD and tell you, if the problem's gone. For instance, I can't say if there is a difference in homebrew using IOS58 (I think there is no difference, why should there be one?!). Would be cool if that Ashampoo works or if the WD Software works now. The first time, it did not.

Thanks!

Have you tried to format your WD Elements disk with NTFS format?

Greetings.

eN-t

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
@jesquinas:
Not yet, I liked WBFS best, yet. Also, why should it work with NTFS when both FAT32 and WBFS fail while on the other HDD everything works fine?

But I will try it on Wednesday, as I said. Maybe today, but I do not think that I'll have the time.

netspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sock99 said:
Thanks Dave - you rock! A quick test of v2 shows no problems with 249-56. Also, it may be spurious but even GH6 with the wifi on didn't stutter at all as it did with v1 & Wanins original 249v21 (as reported by netspy).
yaywii.gif

I found the time to test GH6 with 249[56]v21d2x v2, and the lags specific to GH6 are still there.
I don't use wifi but the official USB LAN Adapter, I don't know if matters.

If you don't understand what we're talking about, here is what we wrote in the old topic :
netspy said:
If you look carefully at this video (gh6_lag.mpg), the picture seems to be shortly freezing at 0'10 (focus on the grey background, it's easier to see it this way).
No matter the version of cIOSX rev21 you are using, here is the fix :
QUOTE(sock99 @ Jan 29 2011, 05:42 PM) when I came to GH6 & played Burn it stuttered every 30 secs or so. However, I unplugged my Wi-fi & restarted the Wii and played the same track with no problems. So can you try with disconnecting your wi-fi & see if it's any better?

sock99

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France
netspy said:
sock99 said:
Thanks Dave - you rock! A quick test of v2 shows no problems with 249-56. Also, it may be spurious but even GH6 with the wifi on didn't stutter at all as it did with v1 & Wanins original 249v21 (as reported by netspy).
yaywii.gif

I found the time to test GH6 with 249[56]v21d2x v2, and the lags specific to GH6 are still there.

If you don't understand what we're talking about, here is what we wrote in the old topic :
netspy said:
If you look carefully at this video (gh6_lag.mpg), the picture seems to be shortly freezing at 0'10 (focus on the grey background, it's easier to see it this way).
QUOTE(sock99 @ Jan 29 2011, 05:42 PM) when I came to GH6 & played Burn it stuttered every 30 secs or so. However, I unplugged my Wi-fi & restarted the Wii and played the same track with no problems. So can you try with disconnecting your wi-fi & see if it's any better?

I haven't got a LAN adapter but I tried GH6 again for 30 mins with Wifi on and no problems.

PPSainity

Blinded by Science
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
eN-t said:
@.44magnum, @jesquinas:

My problem in detail:
When I start games (through any cIOS via any Loader) or homebrew (mostly IOS58, but also others) which make use of the USB drive, I encouter...
- NO problems in ANY situation with my "WD My Passport 250GB" (formatted WBFS for games and FAT32 for other files [roms, movies...])
- NO problems in ANY situation with my "32 GB Transcend HighSpeed USB Stick" (formatted WBFS for games and FAT32 for other files [roms, movies...])
- sth. like LAGS in almost EVERY situation with my "WD Elements 500GB" (formatted WBFS for games and FAT32 for other files [roms, movies...])

Those LAGS only appear when using the "WD Elements 500GB". For games (started with Hermes and Waninkokos) and for homebrew apps (started with IOS58 and others). These LAGS sometimes do not appear for a while but sometimes it lags really often. These LAGS are best seen in WiiMC and also in Zelda: TP.
Have you considered the health of the drive? Does the drive lag when connected to a PC? You would have to disable caching to catch this as PC apps tend to pre-fetch data. I recommend connecting the drive to a PC and running a sector scan and a stress test. The drive might be failing. If the drive is a DUD, get it replaced under warranty if you can. Seems like you have exhausted all other possibilities as far as cIOS and different Homebrew combinations are considered.

-[]D

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
IceIceBird said:
Maybe the new nand emu save file not working issue could be fixed to?
(running wiiware games trough Might Channel, ex: Tetris. Rev17 works r21 dont)
It seems to work for me with Mighty Channels beta5 and cios249[56]-v21d2x-v2.
Please can you tell me how to reproduce your problem exactly?

netspy said:
sock99 said:
yaywii.gif

Please can you try through a wireless connection?
I need to know if the problem comes through usb only

netspy said:
QUOTE(sock99 @ Jan 29 2011, 05:42 PM)
when I came to GH6 & played Burn it stuttered every 30 secs or so. However, I unplugged my Wi-fi & restarted the Wii and played the same track with no problems. So can you try with disconnecting your wi-fi & see if it's any better?

netspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
davebaol said:

Not easily (so not in the next few days I guess), but I'll do my best.

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
netspy said:
davebaol said:

Not easily (so not in the next few days I guess), but I'll do my best.

Ok let me know.

davebaol said:
QUOTE(IceIceBird @ Feb 3 2011, 07:01 PM)
It seems to work for me with Mighty Channels beta5 and cios249[56]-v21d2x-v2.
Please can you tell me how to reproduce your problem exactly?
Ok, now I see what you mean. I was just blind.
biggrin.gif

qwertymodo

Trophies
Website
qwertymodo.com
XP
Country
United States
XFlak said:
the easiest method,
just use ModMii's Advanced Downloads feature, select the cIOS u want to modify, then enter the new cIOS slot and version number when prompted, then install the new wads like normal

about what u were asking, u can check the .app file using a hex editor, if u look near the very end of the file, the authors typically title the files, like mload or ehci, etc. Then just unpack the wad, and repack it using the modified ehci module

Ok, I was mostly just checking that I could just drop this over the top of the original EHCI module without any other modifications and have it work.

.44 Magnum

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
PPSainity said:
eN-t said:
@.44magnum, @jesquinas:

My problem in detail:

Have you considered the health of the drive? Does the drive lag when connected to a PC? You would have to disable caching to catch this as PC apps tend to pre-fetch data. I recommend connecting the drive to a PC and running a sector scan and a stress test. The drive might be failing. If the drive is a DUD, get it replaced under warranty if you can. Seems like you have exhausted all other possibilities as far as cIOS and different Homebrew combinations are considered.

-[]D
I totally agree. So far I've only had one HDD give me problems similar to the ones described and in the end it wound up being a faulty drive.

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
cIOSX d2x v3beta1

Ok guys, I'm back again with a new beta FFS module which should improve nand emulation by fixing this bug:
IceIceBird said:

This issue was due to free space check.
From my tests now the following games work using Mighty Channels (I would expect others too)

Code:
WiiWare....................rev17...rev21...rev21d2x v1/v2......rev21d2x v3beta1
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tetris Party.................OK.....ERR1..........ERR1...............OK
Brain Challenge..............OK.....ERR2..........ERR2...............OK
FFCC: My Life as a King......OK.....ERR2..........ERR2...............OK

ERR1 = Cannot save the game after each level
ERR2 = Black screen soon after the logo if the save doesn't exist already

How to build and install
IceIceBird said:
[*]Download FFS module d2x v3beta1[*]Download ModMii v4.4.8 or higher[*]Install ModMii[*]Copy the FFS module d2x v3beta1 inside ModMii folder modules\W21Modules overwriting the old module
NOTE: If ModMii was already installed before and d2x v2 has been downloaded already then you MUST remove from the COPY_TO_SD\WAD folder all the files whose name ends with "-v21d2x.wad"[*]Launch ModMii[*]Enter "I Agree"[*]Enter "4" to navigate to Download Page 4[*]Add to the download queue all the cIOSX rev21d2x v2 wads you need, for example "249dx56" and "250dx57"[*]Enter "D" to download selected files[*]Enter "Y" to start downloading[*]ModMii will incorrectly label the wad files as "invalid" and will try building them twice.
It's absolutely normal since the FFS module has been replaced and MD5 check fails.
It is safe to ignore the following error in this instance:
QUOTEChecking entries in COPY_TO_SD\Download_Log.md5
COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS[]-v21d2x.wad: Invalid
Results: 1 files processed, 0 good files, 1 bad files.
[*]Install the wad files with a Wad Manager
NOTE: despite the file name it's a real rev21d2x-v3beta1[*]You're done! Please test and report
yaywii.gif

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Here are the hashes for the new d2x v3 beta1 cIOSs so ppl can confirm they were built correctly before installing them if they wish
Code:
427ea2aae5f3ea03c5416fa6a5e3079b *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[37]-v21d2x2.wad
f976a0214803c44eb0f75f9ad8e33337 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[37]-v21d2x2.wad
19ae3bce56a6558b777051a7e2ccad02 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[38]-v21d2x2.wad
f916178999c6713820b52bd21e3b85ce *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[38]-v21d2x2.wad
dc5b07fe9be4486755b7c1906c87bbc6 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[56]-v21d2x2.wad
771fe3748a8e961d71401d897b02fb29 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[56]-v21d2x2.wad
f9c51f6e638586de4571dbbebcea4fcf *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS249[57]-v21d2x2.wad
973b5bb788717927a2190c057b96da31 *COPY_TO_SD\WAD\cIOS250[57]-v21d2x2.wad

@davebaol, great work buddy!

davebaol

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@XFlak
Thank you very much
smile.gif

@everybody
Now in my previous post you can find further info about the issue fixed by d2x v3 beta1

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped chinese crap
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @LeoTCK actually good quality products are dying out because they can't compete with dropshipped...