Hacking CIOS 202 NeoCD USB Question

mojo-hand

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys, I'm trying to use the NeoCD emulator app and I keep getting the "NO IPL" error. I can run games from the SD card just fine, but when I switch to load from USB in the settings I'm stuck with this error and the app doesn't recognize there are games on the drive.

I think I've finally narrowed the issue down to not having the required cIOS 202 installed.

So I've been doing a little research but it's very confusing. Which Hermes installer do I use v4, v5, v5.1? Some say you need IOS 236 installed first, but other say you can just use 249. Also I've seen some say to install cIOS 202 with base 38, others say to use base 60? Does it matter? Just want to make sure I know what I'm doing before I mess something up. Thanks!

DaMan4169

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never used NeoCD before but...
Both Modmii (computer program that creates a modding guide) and Guide:Softmod ANY Wii recommend using cIOS202[60]-v5.1R, it's the Rodries mod of Hermes v5.1.

If you are on SM 4.2(?) or later you could have a Nintendo stub installed as IOS202. At the time the installer was written programs couldn't install a cIOS with a lower version number than the currently installed one. Because IOS236 is a fakesigned version of IOS36 installed into 236 (technically making it a cIOS) it could bypass that restriction. Now installers like d2x and other programs use another method, AHBPROT, to gain full access so no more need to fakesign.

As long as you don't touch any IOS below 100, you'll be fine. The lower ones are the only ones needed for the Wii to function. IOS 60, 70, and 80 for SM 4.0/4.1, 4.2, or 4.3 and the majority of others are just for games.

Any IOS from 202 - 254 is for homebrew. If you install a cIOS with the wrong base you might have an app or game that won't work but you can just relaunch your cIOS installer or WAD manager and install a different one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtu.be/MddR6PTmGKg?si=mU2EO5hoE7XXSbSr