Homebrew CIA on 9.2

robbyrobot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't slept the last 3 nights working on my 3ds. So far I have used ninjhax on my 9.2 Old 3ds XL to get homebrew set up, and mostly that is it. Not because I haven't been trying though, there is so much to go through.

I am trying to get to the point where I can run CIA files. I have read various things but mainly that I want to install rxtools. When I install rxtools I get a message saying that i do not have emunand and that it will use sysnand, "press a to restart". I press A, and the system freezes.

So Question 1.) Is that a known bug and is there a way around this?

The next thing I did was follow several walkthroughs to install Emunand, thinking maybe this will work around rxtools freezing at the Sysnand screen. Every guide I find on installing Emunand is in Spanish or has replies / updates saying the guide no longer works. I have attempted to follow these guides anyway with no luck.

I know there has to be away to install all of this, I believe the problem is I am getting lost in the lingo used in subject titles and replies. If this forum works like the rest of the internet someone will say "use the search function.", thing is, I have, I have a lot. Like hundreds of searches. I probably have even ended up on the correct information a few times, it's just hard separating the old stuff from the current, and the lingo means nothing to me when an entire idea is being summed up in a single word.

Question 2.) Do I want to install Emunand?

Question 3.) I don't mind doing the research and reading (I've been doing this pretty much non-stop for 3 days) but could someone just come out and say "Install X Y Z and you can now install CIA files. With accompanying links.

Thanks for anyone that helps out.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure rxtools is outdated by now.

Use this guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

You could pretty much stop at the end of part 3. If you just want menuhax+emunand. But I'd say just go through it all and get A9LH set up. Basically you won't have to deal with emunand//rednand, and will have an updated sysnand with cfw.

Last edited by Temptress Cerise,

robbyrobot

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pretty sure rxtools is outdated by now.
Haha, yes this. This would have saved me about 8 hours and no sleep.

Use this guide:
https://github.com/Plailect/Guide/wiki

You could pretty much stop at the end of part 3. If you just want menuhax+emunand. But I'd say just go through it all and get ALH9 set up. Basically you won't have to deal with emunand//rednand, and will have an updated sysnand with cfw.

I started looking into ALH9, honestly I was scared to do it. Sounded like I could bricks my 3ds. I will work through this guide up to step 3, then hit the brakes and see if it does what I need.

You say, "you won't have to deal with emunand//rednand". What do you mean? Are you saying I will have to "deal" with these if I don't set up ALH9? If so, what does "deal with" them mean?

Thank you so much for you help. I have wasted hours and hours on all sorts of things that apparently don't work anymore. I really appreciate your help.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well menuhax doesn't have a 100% bootrate. Some people can live with that. Emunand//Rednand also take up space on your SD Card, so there's that as well. But again, if you don't mind those things, then you could stop there. I personally don't recommend it, but the choice is yours.

Anyways the guide is pretty thorough, so long as you don't deviate or skip steps, you should be fine. Most bricks are user error from people skipping steps or trying to rush up the process. Just take it slow and go through every step, and you'll be fine.

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
My first A9LH setup took me 7 hours, 3 of those hours were me over-checking the guide and my steps like a paranoid freak. Guide went smooth as butter for me though. Did the second 2DS with A9LH, and it only took 3 hours. Now I'm confident enough with it to mod my friends' O3DS systems. A9LH modding on a N3DS for me is a no-go until I own one myself.

Temptress Cerise

Miss Magic~ <3
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My first A9LH setup took me 7 hours, 3 of those hours were me over-checking the guide and my steps like a paranoid freak. Guide went smooth as butter for me though. Did the second 2DS with A9LH, and it only took 3 hours. Now I'm confident enough with it to mod my friends' O3DS systems. A9LH modding on a N3DS for me is a no-go until I own one myself.

I did a friend's N3DS system. As well as 6 o3DS systems. Will be doing a seventh o3DS system, maybe today. And I'll probably buy a normal n3DS, not XL, and do AL9H on it as well. :)

Pretty sure the only thing to watch out on an N3DS system is to not close it while it's on 2.1. The OTPHelper "One Click Setup" unbricks 2.1 on N3DS for you, so that's no longer needed to do manually.

Reactions: Jayro

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Que dices?