Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
psycoblaster said:
Gaisuto said:
See. He's obsessed with this game. If you speak badly of it, if you even get a single word of a quote wrong he goes off on ya. Now he's writing a god damn business-class essay about this. Look what you've all done!? brb hiding from massive wall of text.
D:
*Chuckles* Don't worry, I'm not going to "go off on ya'", I was always planning to write this review, you've just accelerated the process. Hopefully I hit the right note between the hardcore fan and the new player/modern player. I really just want to point out the factors people are overlooking. Not just you, but professional reviews, fans who might be on the fence, and so on. It's an all purpose comparative review/essay/buyer's guide/opinion piece.

psycoblaster

Divine
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ace Gunman said:
psycoblaster said:
Gaisuto said:
See. He's obsessed with this game. If you speak badly of it, if you even get a single word of a quote wrong he goes off on ya. Now he's writing a god damn business-class essay about this. Look what you've all done!? brb hiding from massive wall of text.
D:
*Chuckles* Don't worry, I'm not going to "go off on ya'", I was always planning to write this review, you've just excelerated the process. Hopefully I hit the right note between the hardcore fan and the new player/modern player. I really just want to point out the factors people are overlooking. Not just you, but professional reviews, fans who might be on the fence, and so on. It's an all purpose comparative review/essay/buyer's guide/opinion piece.
You are trying too hard
tongue.gif

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
psycoblaster said:
..What I was trying to say right there was that, well, there was no voice acting.
I mean - it's a review. I'm trying to basically look at all parts of the game.
I mean- it's a port, right? But does it have voice acting? well, no.
Does everybody know this fact? No.
So what's the reason behind why I can't say that the game doesn't have any voice acting?
I can tell you another fact: every single SNES game was limited through the hardware! So basically there was no way to have voice acting in a game like that at that time because there were limitations in the Filespace on the cartridges. If they intend to port Secret of Mana I guess nobody would expect something like that either. So why blame the game because of this...

But you could say: why didn`t SE take advantage of the DS-hardware, which is far superiors to the SNES-hardware. That would be what they obviously do in a Remakes. But as one could see through the wording "Game-Port" that this is not the case here. Why they didn`t do a Remake with updated graphics and some other upgrades I don`t know. Maybe to let the original charm of the game speak for itself, but that is risky, because it will never appeal to everyone... and that`s what a opinion could be about and not about fact, that were never intended to be in this game, nor in its port, because it was just a PORT and never wanted to be anything else(with knew controls and card
tongue.gif
).

I think you really should have really differentiated more between a Port and a Remake and what you could expect from them...

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Master Mo - He didn't say the game SHOULD have had voice acting. He didn't say he was disappointed the game didn't have voice acting.

HE JUST SAID THE GAME DIDN'T HAVE VOICE ACTING. I don't see why there should be three to five lengthy posts on the subject.

Psyco, I haven't finished the game but appreciate your review. So far I'm only just past the ruins (vague spoiler) and I'm thinking it's an alright game. I would say my most favourite RPG of all time is still Golden Sun. I completely agree with Ace about looking at the game from the perspective of when it was released, but realistically, it's nearly impossible to do that unless you played the game the first time.

kevenka

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I am glad it didn't have voice acting =/
Sometimes those are the worse things to add to a game -.-
Leave it to the imaginations sometimes may be better
biggrin.gif

sjeps

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Italy
QUOTE said:
- Replay value
I don't think this can stay in my microSD for long. Even though it's not bad, once you complete the game, that's basically it. New DS games are coming out, and this game is taking 128 MB of my space. It's just my opinion, but when the story is over, there is basically nothing else to do.
7/10

lmfao..

have you ever heard about its 14 different endings?

what do you think have replay value?

WoW, where you go around 10000 hours doing repetetive quests, killing mobs and collecting loot?

this game have a GREAT story and game twists, GREAT sound (best selling ost), AMAZING gameplay (the tech system is still one of the most elaborate i have played) and the graphics are colourful and stylish as many modern game may only wish to be (with characters drawn by Toryiama).

beside that i don't like the new release additions that much.

almost as much as star wars IV new grapich effects and so on

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Private|Parts said:
Master Mo - He didn't say the game SHOULD have had voice acting. He didn't say he was disappointed the game didn't have voice acting.

HE JUST SAID THE GAME DIDN'T HAVE VOICE ACTING. I don't see why there should be three to five lengthy posts on the subject.

Psyco, I haven't finished the game but appreciate your review. So far I'm only just past the ruins (vague spoiler) and I'm thinking it's an alright game. I would say my most favourite RPG of all time is still Golden Sun. I completely agree with Ace about looking at the game from the perspective of when it was released, but realistically, it's nearly impossible to do that unless you played the game the first time.
What I was trying to say is, that facts shouldn`t be mention, if they were never able to be accomplish in a SNES game. As I said before: Nobody expects Secret of Mana to have voice acting on an old 16-bit machine either
rolleyes.gif
. So it is needless to mention that. Be it neutrally or negatively IMO. If he criticize things, that could have been accomplished on the SNES it is OK
wink.gif
Like this one: "I found some sound effects that doesn't even fit the action."

Earl

Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Private|Parts said:
Dont go trying to act all dumb on us, unless you actually are that dumb, then i guess you are excused, it is quite obvious to anyone that he was listing up bad good sides off the sound/music (actually only bad sides, despite the fact that the music is fucking amazing) And that he thought that it having no voice acting was one of the bad things, even though there is about a 1000000000 to 1 chance that the voice acting would do chrono trigger just, if they tried to add voice acting.

As for all the "Oh it was great back then but now it cant hold up to the games of today" that is BS, I first played this game long after it was released, when its graphics etc where outdated and the sounds were not as"high quality" as they could be in other games on n64/ps 2 etc, yet i still thought it was one of the best games i had, and still, have ever played, and i had not heard talk of it before i played it.

In conclussion, if you are a person who thinks things are not good just because they are old, and actually consider the amount of hardware/resolution and whathaveyou relevant to how good a game is, then chrono trigger is not for you. (Note, Grahpics matter,but there can be snes games which has graphics that are more enjoyable than ps3 games.) But if you are able to apriciate greatness, you should check it out, and you will most likely love it!

Private|Par

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
psycoblaster said:
- Sound
The BGM sounds are midi-ish, and the sound effects are kind of plain. I found some sound effects that doesn't even fit the action. And there is no voice acting.

@Earl I apologise, I didn't fully remember the context that psyco put it in when I made that post. In the above context, I agree with you.

@Mastermo I understand what you're saying now. I think you just worded it poorly.

But when you say that "the facts shouldn't be mentioned if they weren't able to be accomplished on the SNES,"

I think that you should say the facts, but not in the way that Psyco has done. If he had done say, a "for-the-record, this-is-what-Chrono-Trigger-is" section, then it could have come under there.

Understand, Psyco, I'm not criticizing your review at all. I just think it could have been worded better.

Shakraka

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What you're doing is comparing this classic game to today's video game standards. I read through your review, and it's quite obvious to me that you have never played it before on the SNES (assumptions) and are unfairly reviewing it.

For example, you say the sprites could have been redone, but have you actually seen the sprites on the SNES and compared them to the port? The sprites on the port are smoother, however it could just be the fact that the DS screen is smaller than a TV.

And then you go on about how the sound is midi-ish, which I believe Nintendo left on purpose because the music was one of the highlights of the game back then and it gave a nostalgic feeling to returning players.

In my opinion, you're giving this game a bad review by comparing it to today's video gaming standards, even though it is a port of a classic in which Nintendo purposely retained it's original features to give a nostalgic feeling.

Oh, and please note I am just giving my opinion, and I mean no offense in any way.

Edit:
I just did a quick read through each of the posts and I have a big problem with your post:
psycoblaster said:
the reason for a review is not to rant about a game, nor to praise a game, but for informing the people that wants to read about the game before actually grabbing it.
And let's try this - forget about the SNES. Say chrono trigger for the SNES wasn't even made. So let's say chrono trigger for the DS the only chrono trigger made.
THAT is where a review needs to be written from. I've tried to do that for this review, but I just felt I needed to give some more bonus points for graphics.
You're missing the point of why Nintendo bothered to port the game. They didn't make the game so they can grab some extra money (not that they need it) by rehashing a classic RPG, they made it so they could give older players a deep feeling of nostalgia and offer younger and new players a chance to experience a classic video game.

Nintendo didn't port this because they wanted it to crush other RPG's on the market, they ported this because they wanted to return a classic to both old and new players.

Rod

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
Chrono Trigger is far from being my favorite game (heck, I wouldn't even put it on my Top 10 RPGs), I kind of agree to the fact it's somewhat overrated as a whole by an gaming audience and I know and respect the fact that different people have different opinions, but... I really think that was a pretty weak, if not a plain bad review.
You've barely scratched the surface of the core game analyzing it's pros and cons, what and how it does and doesn't, instead you just emphatized on the shortcomings of the game. Plus, some statements directly contradict what the game has to offer - if anything, saying the game "doesn't offer anything else to do after finishing" when you have a New Game + and more than 13 endings at your disposal is simply nonsensical.

I agree with some points you touched on the review (such as the crappy stylus controls and blimpy sound effects) and disagree with some others (Yasunori Mitsuda's score might just be the better thing the game has to offer), but overall, I still believe you were more motivated in writing this review just to poke the whole "it's not that good kinda overrated" thing than to actually make an informative summary about the game itself.

That last aspect, regardless of what you opinion about the game is, haven't been archieved in this review.

Master Mo

F.R.E.E.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
psycoblaster said:
Louisiana said:
Silly boy Chrono Trigger on the DS is the exact same game as it is on the SNES as it is on the PS1 as it is emulated on my graphing calculator.
no, the DS version has more features.
do some research before you post.

As far as I know it was just customised for the DS... or does anybody want to play this game with a black upper screen
tongue.gif
Oh and TS-controls were added as well. Other then that this is the PS1 game...

Louisiana

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's essentially the same game. Their are no major changes, if any, to the mechanics. All that was necessary of this review was to review the SNES version, then say whether the two new areas (this is minor revision) are good or bad. (oh, and take off like a point for being a console to handheld port)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram ple bs lol