• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Chick-fil-A President is Against Same Sex Marriage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Typical argument. So you are in support of outlawing divorce I presume? If one of the parents leaves the picture (arrest, military, death, etc) then shall we take the children and give them to a "whole" couple?

I would love to see your citations for the studies that show a causal link between same-sex parents and poor child outcomes. Being religious necessitates the ability to accept bold claims without evidence. I, however, will not.
I would love to see your citations for the studies that show this is true. I am a religious person and I agree with you that there needs to be evidence for bold claims. Just because someone is a German, that doesn't mean they are a Nazi. Don't be so quick to assume that everyone in the same category is the same.

P-CHYLD

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
people are dying, kids are starving,the homeless are struggling, and all people care about is ssm.
Life is bigger than 2 men or 2 women doing whatever perverted shit they do. I can't wait for Gods rapture.

Blood Fetish

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Typical argument. So you are in support of outlawing divorce I presume? If one of the parents leaves the picture (arrest, military, death, etc) then shall we take the children and give them to a "whole" couple?

I would love to see your citations for the studies that show a causal link between same-sex parents and poor child outcomes. Being religious necessitates the ability to accept bold claims without evidence. I, however, will not.
I would love to see your citations for the studies that show this is true. I am a religious person and I agree with you that there needs to be evidence for bold claims. Just because someone is a German, that doesn't mean they are a Nazi. Don't be so quick to assume that everyone in the same category is the same.
There is no evidence supporting the existence of any of the thousands of god figures mankind has worshipped over the years. An all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful superbeing is without a doubt the boldest claim to have ever been made. If you are religious then you accept, without evidence, that this figure exists. Ergo, a prerequisite of being religious is that you accept incredible claims without evidence.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

There is no evidence supporting the existence of any of the thousands of god figures mankind has worshipped over the years. An all-knowing, all-seeing, all-powerful superbeing is without a doubt the boldest claim to have ever been made. If you are religious then you accept, without evidence, that this figure exists. Ergo, a prerequisite of being religious is that you accept incredible claims without evidence.
You are right again. There is no existence of any of the thousands of god figures mankind has worshiped over the years. But there is evidence supporting the existence of the one God that has been worshiped since the beginning of time. The evidence is the Bible, you are just refusing to accept that it is true.

http://www.biblicals...0/schoville.htm - Top 10 Archeological discoveries of the Twentieth Century relating to the Biblical World
http://www.bible.ca/b-archeolgy.htm - Archaeology is digging up Bible stories
Casting Crowns - The Word is Alive: "The Bible was ascribed over a period of 2 thousand years, in times of war and in days of peace. By Kings, physicians, tax collectors, farmers, fisherman, singers, and shepherd. The Marvel is that a library so perfectly cohesive could have been produced by such a diverse crowd, over a period of time which staggers the imagination."

Ultimately, you are free to believe whatever you so choose. But I can tell you right now, the consequences if you are wrong will be worse than anything imaginable.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
You are right again. There is no existence of any of the thousands of god figures mankind has worshiped over the years. But there is evidence supporting the existence of the one God that has been worshiped since the beginning of time. The evidence is the Bible, you are just refusing to accept that it is true.
Using the bible to prove the existence of god is like using a Harry Potter book to prove the existence of wizards

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Using the bible to prove the existence of god is like using a Harry Potter book to prove the existence of wizards
Except for the fact that Archaeologists have proof that the Bible is correct. Harry Potter is a book of fiction that has no outside proof of reality.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Except for the fact that Archaeologists have proof that the Bible is correct. Harry Potter is a book of fiction that has no outside proof of reality.
Do you have any credible sources for this? Not the geocities pages you linked to. I am quite sure that if strong evidence for the existence of god was found it would be covered by every major and credible publication on Earth.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Do you have any credible sources for this? Not the geocities pages you linked to. I am quite sure that if strong evidence for the existence of god was found it would be covered by every major and credible publication on Earth.
This depends on your definition of credibility. As far as I'm concerned, those sites are credible, and so is this one. http://www.prevailmagazine.org/how-archaeology-proves-the-bible/
B
ut I'm tired of doing all the work for you. If you can't bother to look up anymore of the evidence yourself and keep having to get a 16 year old to do it for you, I'm not even going to bother to debate with you anymore. Also, this debate has gone way off topic as the topic was made to talk about the chick-fil-a owner and what he announced. A debate about whether God exists is not at all on topic.

Blood Fetish

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
But I'm tired of doing all the work for you. If you can't bother to look up anymore of the evidence yourself and keep having to get a 16 year old to do it for you, I'm not even going to bother to debate with you anymore.
That's how it works, Castiel. If you make an assertion then you have to support it.

Actinopterygian Melospiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

http://www.biblicals...0/schoville.htm - Top 10 Archeological discoveries of the Twentieth Century relating to the Biblical World
http://www.bible.ca/b-archeolgy.htm - Archaeology is digging up Bible stories
Casting Crowns - The Word is Alive: "The Bible was ascribed over a period of 2 thousand years, in times of war and in days of peace. By Kings, physicians, tax collectors, farmers, fisherman, singers, and shepherd. The Marvel is that a library so perfectly cohesive could have been produced by such a diverse crowd, over a period of time which staggers the imagination."
First of all the sites you linked to are questionable at best, but putting that aside, did you even read them? They don't "prove" the existence of god in any way, they just show that some biblical stories have some historical basis, which is not the same thing.

Ultimately, you are free to believe whatever you so choose. But I can tell you right now, the consequences if you are wrong will be worse than anything imaginable.
That's essentially Pascal's wager and is illogical and an invalid argument to anyone with a modicum of intelligence.

I don't really see why I'm even bothering though, because as Carl Sagan said:
“You can't convince a believer of anything; for their belief is not based on evidence, it's based on a deep seated need to believe.”

edit:
This depends on your definition of credibility. As far as I'm concerned, those sites are credible
lol, of course you think they're credible because they support what you believe.

Castiel

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
But I'm tired of doing all the work for you. If you can't bother to look up anymore of the evidence yourself and keep having to get a 16 year old to do it for you, I'm not even going to bother to debate with you anymore.
That's how it works, Castiel. If you make an assertion then you have to support it.
Not to sound disrespectful or anything, but you haven't really given me anything aside from your own bias. Just as there is no "credible" evidence to support the Truth of the Bible, there is also no "credible" evidence to support that the Bible isn't Truth.

Actinopterygian Melospiza

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't say they proved the existence of God, I said they proved the Truthfulness of the Bible, which proves the existence of God.
This is hilariously wrong. First of all, they don't prove the truthfulness of the bible. They show that some things in the bible have historical basis which, once again, is not the same thing. Also, the bible does not "prove" the existence of god, it suggests it.

Oh and another thing, the bible has been proven to be mistranslated and that things have been added to support certain views. For example the "virgin" Mary. The word in Hebrew simply meant "young woman," but when it was translated to Greek it was given the connotation that the woman was a virgin. Of course you probably won't believe me simply because you don't want to, even though there are plenty of reputable sources to back this up.

there is also no "credible" evidence to support that the Bible isn't Truth.
Not to sound disrespectful or anthing, but this is just dumb. You don't have to prove that something isn't true. The burden of proof lies with those making the claim. For example if someone says I commited a murder I don't have to prove they're lying, they have to prove they aren't

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: roms wont boot with wood r4menu