GBAtemp's Official Van Master™
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For your own safety, never go to http://craigslist.org

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

For those of you who don't know what Craigslist is, it's a website for local trade and full of scams left and right. Even the buyers are scammers.
I've bought some pretty good things on there though.

D

Deleted User

OP
You're one of the lucky ones. Considering this guy, above all else, bought something on eBay 'by accident', he shouldn't even get close to Craigslist, which comes with absolutely no warranty, it's every man for himself.
It wasn't "by accident" lol. I saw the ebay buyer protection insured it and it was only 20 bucks so i figured worst case scenario i get a brick in the mail and wait a little to get my money back.

Also i've used craigslist before also :D
I think thats different because you pick it up in person. I always make sure i'm allowed to test it before i buy from that site.

Reactions: ShadowOne333

H1B1Esquire

RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For those of you who don't know what Craigslist is, it's a website for local trade and full of scams left and right. Even the buyers are scammers.

Ghost is right, you can get some really cool stuff from there, as well as sell stuff. The scams are in the dating categories.

I recommend to use your best judgment with everything, always.....unless you want a cool story, bro.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It wasn't "by accident" lol. I saw the ebay buyer protection insured it and it was only 20 bucks so i figured worst case scenario i get a brick in the mail and wait a little to get my money back.

Also i've used craigslist before also :D
I think thats different because you pick it up in person. I always make sure i'm allowed to test it before i buy from that site.

Ghost is right, you can get some really cool stuff from there, as well as sell stuff. The scams are in the dating categories.

I recommend to use your best judgment with everything, always.....unless you want a cool story, bro.
Yes, you pick it up in person as well as send payment any way you want. Someone I know (Let's call him Steve) was trying to sell an old set of matching chairs and a table. He got an offer for $150! When the buyer sent Steve the check, the check was for $200 and the buyer had clearly tried to cover the VOID sign that pops up when you photocopy a check.

Last edited by aykay55,

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, you pick it up in person as well as send payment any way you want. Someone I know (Let's call him Steve) was trying to sell an old set of matching chairs and a table. He got an offer for $150! When the buyer sent Steve the check, the check was for $200 and the buyer had clearly tried to civer the VOID sign when you photocopy a check.

Lesson #3 of CL: don't accept checks; cash only. Tell the bro to go to a bank if they want to use a check--people can take a check book from the trash, write "1 million dollars" on it and it doesn't mean anything. Sure, they could give you counterfeit money, but this is why you use your best judgment and make sure to have a way to prove your innocence when the bank, gas station, store takes your funny money, while filing a report with authorities to get your item(s) back.

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lesson #3 of CL: don't accept checks; cash only. Tell the bro to go to a bank if they want to use a check--people can take a check book from the trash, write "1 million dollars" on it and it doesn't mean anything. Sure, they could give you counterfeit money, but this is why you use your best judgment and make sure to have a way to prove your innocence when the bank, gas station, store takes your funny money, while filing a report with authorities to get your item(s) back.
Or just use PayPal....They never agree.

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or just use PayPal....They never agree.

Not everyone who uses craigslist has a paypal, but if you state that you'd prefer payment with paypal, you've just weeded out a lot of people.

Also depends on what you're selling--I wouldn't use paypal to buy a car from someone, I would check that the title could be transfered (to avoid "stolen car" issues), meet them at a bank, and exchange keys and cash.

Luckily, I know someone who's been working with cars longer than I've been alive, so I'd have him check it out after the checking the title, so I'm not buying a rusted fartbucket with sawdust in the transmission.

D

Deleted User

OP
Well I managed to get a wii u gamepad for $40 on ebay. Its in good shape except the touch screen apparently doesn't work sometimes. Worst case scenario i have to buy a $15 replacement screen. I might cancel the one from china now that i have a console and gamepad coming... i'll see if the seller replies before

Can

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Not everyone who uses craigslist has a paypal, but if you state that you'd prefer payment with paypal, you've just weeded out a lot of people.

Also depends on what you're selling--I wouldn't use paypal to buy a car from someone, I would check that the title could be transfered (to avoid "stolen car" issues), meet them at a bank, and exchange keys and cash.

Luckily, I know someone who's been working with cars longer than I've been alive, so I'd have him check it out after the checking the title, so I'm not buying a rusted fartbucket with sawdust in the transmission.

Great way to verify a post, If only I had someone like that, I would've made at least some profit :P

aykay55

Professional Idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not everyone who uses craigslist has a paypal,
Making an account is free and easy, and PayPal is available anywhere in the world. They'd have an internet connection and you need an email to create a Craigslist account in the first place. And if you're legit you'll have a at least a debit card (no fees) so it wouldn't cost them anything.

Last edited by aykay55,

Can

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I managed to get a wii u gamepad for $40 on ebay. Its in good shape except the touch screen apparently doesn't work sometimes. Worst case scenario i have to buy a $15 replacement screen. I might cancel the one from china now that i have a console and gamepad coming... i'll see if the seller replies before
Willing to bet that he'll respond with a bs verification of it being real. Worst case scenario is that you're going to be ignored.

Reactions: Deleted User
D

Deleted User

OP
Willing to bet that he'll respond with a bs verification of it being real. Worst case scenario is that you're going to be ignored.
Yeah if i don't get a response in a week i'll see if i can cancel...

H1B1Esquire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Making an account is free and easy, and PayPal is available anywhere in the world. They'll have an internet connection and you need an email to create a Craigslist account. And if you're legit you'll have a credit card.

Some people don't use credit cards; I find most people on craigslist are there because they just don't do the "online" thing.
I think the best way to do business, is to have both sides feel safe--daylight, public places, necessary proofs, trade enough info that I won't have a thief follow me home, but if something goes wrong, both parties are easyily available, clear understanding of what the item is, etc,.

I guess it's just people and how we're all different.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @SylverReZ, Indeed lol