Hardware CFW'd PS3 has YLOD'd. Blowdryer won't fix it anymore. Steps of action?

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
hello! many of you may remember me when I had disk read problems with my newly acquired CFW PS3 which didn't play homebrew or read disks, and the solution was to remarry the drive. And I do thank you all appreciate your help with that!...the issue is now...my PS3 has YLOD'd for the last time.and the blowdryer + fan combo won't fix it anymore..It worked always before but now it YLOD's even after doing the same thing that made it work before.it still boots up..but gives the YLOD and shuts down so it's at least trying...what do I do next?...this PS3 was hacked and had Rogero on it..

I heard about re-soldering and "reballing" but could someone give me more info on these? thanks and much appreciated! :D

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
not that it's a good idea or that you should attempt it but i have one that gets ylod every other week and to temporarily fix it i whack the mobo in the oven (with cmos battery removed ofc) at 180C for 15 mins then re-apply thermal paste and re-assemble...
(i only use this particular ps3 to purchase psn content for my vita without needing to upgrade the vita fw)

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
not that it's a good idea or that you should attempt it but i have one that gets ylod every other week and to temporarily fix it i whack the mobo in the oven (with cmos battery removed ofc) at 180C for 15 mins then re-apply thermal paste and re-assemble...
(i only use this particular ps3 to purchase psn content for my vita without needing to upgrade the vita fw)

I use this PS3 for homebrew and PS3 ISO games before I buy them...(yes I have a legit Super Slim Limited Playstation+ White edition PS3 which I will never hack)..and if I see a PS3 game I like I will buy it and add it to my real PSN account for the trophies..I have a fake PSN account on my hacked PS3 but never signed in on it

...I like the homebrew and things :(

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
I use this PS3 for homebrew and PS3 ISO games before I buy them...(yes I have a legit Super Slim White PS3 which I will never hack)..and if I see a PS3 game I like I will buy it and add it to my real PSN account for the trophies..I have a fake PSN account on my hacked PS3 but never signed in on it

...I like the homebrew and things :(
if you want a "real" fix you'll want to look for somebody in your area that offers a reballing/reflow service

edit: to clarify, reballing is the correct way to fix it (but will cost you more) where as reflowing is a temporary fix (reflowing is pretty much what blasting with a heat gun or putting it in the oven does)

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
gonna need a heat gun. about 3 mins of med heat, 3 mins of hot...keep it in circles DO NOT stay in one spot too long. let it cool FULLY, about 45 minutes.

replace thermal paste, reassemble, should be good.

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
if you want a "real"fix you'll want to look for somebody in your area that offers a reballing/reflow service

that's exactly what I was talking about! :P

I'm too stupid / scared to solder it myself...so has anyone had any luck with reballing?....I saw with research that it doesn't last long and isin't worh the $60...other people say they haven't had a problem since....

gonna need a heat gun. about 3 mins of med heat, 3 mins of hot...keep it in circles DO NOT stay in one spot too long. let it cool FULLY, about 45 minutes.

replace thermal paste, reassemble, should be good.

i would have to fully disassemble the PS3 right?..unfortunately i'm a fucking idiot xD

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
craigslist guy is offering reflow, so skip him

not too sure about 2nd but i'd check out how much return shipping will set you back because the ps3crunch dude was $55 with $20 for return shipping so the $60 may end up costing you more...

his website here says he offers both..it's the same guy....I live in the area so I wouldn't have to ship it to him,

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Try some thermite.
craigslist guy is offering reflow, so skip him

not too sure about 2nd but i'd check out how much return shipping will set you back because the ps3crunch dude was $55 with $20 for return shipping so the $60 may end up costing you more...

I called the guy and he was very nice and has a professional machine that does the trick..he said he's offering to reflow the PS3 first because it will be cheaper and he has a $30 warranty [the reball does too] eball does it, so if it had the same problem after the Reflow, he said he would Reball it instead. He said the reball is more expensivlegite so he wanted to do that if the Reflow didn't work...he actually seems pretty legit

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I called the guy and he was very nice and has a professional machine that does the trick..he said he's offering to reflow the PS3 first because it will be cheaper and he has a $30 warranty [the reball does too] eball does it, so if it had the same problem after the Reflow, he said he would Reball it instead. He said the reball is more expensivlegite so he wanted to do that if the Reflow didn't work...he actually seems pretty legit
You'd better get a pretty long warranty in that case though, as a reflow will work, but not for long.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Reflowing will kill it in the long run. Either reball it, or just stop wasting money on it. Be aware of scammers: a lot of people are saying they're going to "reball" it, when the only thing they're going to do is to blast it at 500°C and call it a day.

Anyway, each reflow will last LESS than the previous one, so you'll arrive at a point where the YLOD will reappear in just one week.

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
Reflowing will kill it in the long run. Either reball it, or just stop wasting money on it. Be aware of scammers: a lot of people are saying they're going to "reball" it, when the only thing they're going to do is to blast it at 500°C and call it a day.

Anyway, each reflow will last LESS than the previous one, so you'll arrive at a point where the YLOD will reappear in just one week.

this is the device that he has
00u0u_j3URePSJpRC_600x450.jpg

stanleyopar2000

OP
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
I wouldn't consider fixing this on your own, any DIY fix will just make things worse in the long run. Reballing as people mentioned could help though.

I would NEVER fix it on my own...i paid too much money for a 3.55 PS3 on ebay :P

that's why all the options I have laid out are someone else doing it

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Reflow NEVER fixes the problem, it is just a temporary solution. Reball (remove the chip, clean up the old soldering, then resolder the chip back using new solder) is your only option.

Like raulpica have said, many don't do reball even though they advertise it. If I were you I would ask for another picture with his info written on a paper and that reball station together. At least that proves he does have access to a reball station. Also, at $100 or less, most only "reball" RSX chip. If your problem lies with the CPU you have to reball that instead.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    maaaaan that's so awesome but I also don't want to fork over a hundo for it
  • Veho @ Veho:
    The fuuuuu---
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I thought it was an actual xBox at that price.
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I wanna grab a 360 Slim and a 360 E one of these days. Missed the boat of getting them at their lowest though, once they were discontinued. Could've got them for cheap back when I was a broke 20 something working at Target, but then again, I was a broke 20 something working at Target
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Being broke is no fun.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @Sicklyboy, $150 isn't that bad for a jtag slim on ebay
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I only wish it was actually playable.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There's a guy on the Tube of You that makes playable mechanical arcade games out of Lego. This could work on the same principle.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Just a couple of guys taking their manatee out for some fresh air, why you have to molest them?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Stupid Chinese shop switched their shipping company and this one is slooooooow.
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    STOP BUYING CHINESE CRAP THEN
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    SUPPORT LOCAL PRODUCTS, MAKE REVOLUTION
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THEY KEEP REMOVING LOCAL SHIt AND REPLACING WItH INFERIOR CHINESE CRAP
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    THATS WHY MY PARTNER CANT GET A GOOTWEAR HIS SIZE ANYMORE
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    HE HAS BIG FOOT AND BIG DUCK
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    d*ck i mean*
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Mkay.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I just ordered another package from China just to spite you.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Leo could not withstand communism.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its OUR products to begin with lol.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: Its OUR products to begin with lol.