Hacking CFW Zelda: BotW running without booting into CFW/sigpatcher

iFiny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
I installed Breath of the Wild using WUPInstaller while having Mocha CFW on sysNAND, I don't have CBHC set up. I accidentally ran BotW without starting Mocha CFW and it didn't show the prompt to delete the game, it just started the game and it works perfectly. All my other CFW titles don't work without Mocha, so it's an issue limited to BotW – it also runs after unplugging the console and after removing the SD card.

I'm thinking that if my CFW BotW runs without any sigpatching, there could be a way to make other CFW titles work like this. If you're interested, please let me know if, and how, I can provide some logs.

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I installed Breath of the Wild using WUPInstaller while having Mocha CFW on sysNAND, I don't have CBHC set up. I accidentally ran BotW without starting Mocha CFW and it didn't show the prompt to delete the game, it just started the game and it works perfectly. All my other CFW titles don't work without Mocha, so it's an issue limited to BotW – it also runs after unplugging the console and after removing the SD card.

I'm thinking that if my CFW BotW runs without any sigpatching, there could be a way to make other CFW titles work like this. If you're interested, please let me know if, and how, I can provide some logs.
I'm fairly sure games installed using WUPInstaller should work without CFW if they're the same region as your Wii U, for the most part anyway.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most Wii U games don't require CFW to run. Games that have disc versions can run without CFW. Games that require CFW include eShop-only titles, virtual console games, games with pirated DLC, etc.

Reactions: pelago and Scarlet

Chris_Highwind

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I believe the reason it works without CFW is because Breath of the Wild has a legit ticket that allows it to be run without having been purchased through the eShop due to having a physical disk copy. Digital-only titles require CFW or sigpatches.

EDIT: DLC requires CFW as well

Reactions: OrGoN3

OrGoN3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

As everyone else said, CFW is not needed for the Brazilian method. The only part of BotW that needs CFW is the DLC, which as of right now, is only a shitty in-game Switch t-shirt.

As others stated, disc-based games with proper tickets do not need CFW even when obtained from the eShop. The CFW is needed for non-disc games from the eShop as well as non-legit DLC.

iFiny

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
Wait, really? All my other CFW titles are indeed eShop games, so I was confused when I got the prompt on my other games.
I kept seeing on tutorials and forum threads that you need to run a sigpatcher before running a CFW title.

Thank you all for the quick replies

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    We just question @AncientBoi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    it wasn't a question, it was fact
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    He said he had 3 different doctors apt this week, so he prob there. Something about gerbal extraction, I don't know.
    +1
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    bored, guess i'll spread more democracy
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    @K3Nv2 one more time you say such bs to @BakerMan and I'll smack you across the whole planet
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make sure you smack my booty daddy
    +1
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    telling him that my partner is luke...does he look like someone with such big ne
    eds?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    do you really think I could stand living with someone like luke?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    I suppose luke has "special needs" but he's not my partner, did you just say that to piss me off again?
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    besides I had bigger worries today
  • LeoTCK @ LeoTCK:
    but what do you know about that, you won't believe me anyways
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    @BigOnYa can answer that
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    BigOnYa already left the chat
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Biginya
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Auto correct got me, I'm on my tablet, i need to turn that shit off
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With other tabs open you perv
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I'm actually in my shed, bout to cut 2-3 acres of grass, my back yard.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I use to have a guy for that thanks richard
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I use my tablet to stream to a bluetooth speaker when in shed. iHeartRadio, FlyNation
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    While the victims are being buried
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Grave shovel
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh those goto the edge of the property (maybe just on the other side of)
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    On the neighbors side
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yup, by the weird smelly green bushy looking plants.