• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 12,011
  • Replies 1
  • Likes 1
D

Deleted User

OP
I decided I would post this for awareness.

Let us get started. 3DS hacking originated in the early firmware versions of the 3DS 4.0-4.5. This is when gateway released their first flashcart and emunand. Emunand is referred to as the safety net of 3DS hacking (at least by me :D). It patches the need for a CIA to be legit (signed) or purchased from the eShop (A.K.A: Piracy) This is not all emunand is used for. It is also used to install rom hacks (such as Pokemon Neo X/Y) Most people using homebrew are only here because they do not have access to a 3DS is firmware that is less than 9.2 or is at 9.2. Homebrew is the loading of unsigned code in the user land so no pircay can be achieved here. (Most people only use emunand for piracy so I will refer to it as piracy because it is faster to type, even though it is not right.) However, some homebrew apps can be installed as .cia files or the games and apps that you download from the eShop.
Cia files are the virtual copy of a 3ds game or app. Have you downloaded a 3ds game such as super smash bros from the eshop. That was installed as a legit cia because the second you purchased a ticket only created by nintendo was installed to your system allowing the game to be installed. Without it, the game would not install because the 3DS and WiiU both use a system of tickets to tell if a game is legally purchased and not pirated. Even in the process of loading games the system checks for this ticket
Hopefully, now that you know what a cia is the rest will make sense. Cias pop up in the home menu like your system settings. Installing unsigned CIAs (pirated games) is the main usage behind CFW and emunand. As there might be a method to installing unsigned cias to your actual system, there is no way to launch them without firmware patches. Unsigned CIAs can be anything, including homebrew, rom hacks, and others such as system cias like the browser.
There was a person on youtube who installed a browser cia from 9.2 onto 9.8 emunand. This allowed him to do the browser exploit commonly known as load code on the latest firmware
As you can see there are many uses for an old firmware 3ds. The 2DS is the easiest and cheapest to get this sort of firmware on because everybody else charges outrageous prices for this firmware on a 3ds. just remember not to downgrade your system to 4.5 because you will lose access to your 2ds as their firmware only goes as low as 6.0. If you need any help installing emunand google is your friend as I have no experience in the process, only the knowledge.
Thank you dark_samus3 for the information
Emunand is just a simple copy of your system nand. This allows for risky business that may render your system unusable if you were not on a NAND backup. This is a light explanation. If you wish for A more in depth explanation look at dark_samus3's reply. CFW (again from dark_samus3) is the usage of patches for sysnand. This leaves you with no NAND backups and anything risky could brick your system so be careful! Anything installed via CFW can only be accessed via CFW or emuNAND. (Unless legit and signed)

Last edited by ,
Reactions: DragonspiritPT

dark_samus3

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
While I appreciate the effort with this post I'd like to clear a few things up, for example CIAs can be installed without emuNAND (look at pastaCFW which only uses sysNAND) please make this clearer... Technically CFW IS homebrew (since it was code that was brewed at home) so keep this in mind as well... Be clearer on what emuNAND is and why it is useful as well, emuNAND is simply a copy of the internal NAND on the 3ds which can be used to update your console but keep the actual NAND on the 3ds on a lower version, it can also be used to test potentially risky operations that may otherwise render your console useless without a working NAND backup and a hardmod... In essence this can let you keep your system on a lower version to keep hacks available while letting you access the eShop and all of the latest and greatest games

Don't take this too harshly, I'm mostly providing constructive criticism, mostly for the benefit of new users who might get misconceptions about things based on the way you've made this post

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Batman joined the Trans Justice League
    +2
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    based af
    +2
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Forget the base, get on the roof.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Is that a bat in your buckle or are you just happy to have me
    Wonder "Woman" lol you wonder if they are a woman?
    The Riddler has questions...
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Played a little of snow day glad I didn't spend $30
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's asthetic is okay maybe a good $10 grab
    Lol is it a game about doing cocaine?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Probably in pvp
    I tried Balders Gate II on the PS2 a few minutes ago, not bad lol
    My back catalog of games is like that scene at the end of Indiana Jones where the arc of the covenant is being stored in a giant ass warehouse
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    At least I can will my game catalog to family members
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's your problem now bitches
    Put it in your will that in order to receive any money they have to beat certain games, hard games and super shitty games...
    Say 20 bucks per Ninja Gaiden on the NES lol 60 bucks for all 3
    People you like "Beat level 1 of Ms Pacman" lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hello kitty ds is required
    +1
    Beat Celebrity Death Match on the PS1 omg tried it earlier today .... Absolutely trash
    Like -37 out of 10
    One of the worst games I have ever played
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Make them rank up every cod game out
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    "Now I know why he took his own life"
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: "Now I know why he took his own life"