Hacking CFW PSPs for ad-hoc gaming...(a few questions)

yokomoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Hey. My brother and I are about to buy a couple PSPs mainly for the ad-hoc multiplayer gaming(especially the GTA games). But before we invest a couple hundred bucks, we had a few questions that maybe you guys could help us with:

1. Can you play ad-hoc multiplayer on 2 custom firmware PSPs?
2. Is it possible to tell what firmware is on a new PSP before you buy it?
3. Basically any PSP 1000 - 3000 is atleast semi-hackable and capable of temporary CFW as long as the firmware is below 6.37 right?
4. Would you guys recommend we buy used fully-hackable PSP 1000/2000s over new PSP 3000s? With the 3000s don't you have to reinstall the firmware everytime you power it on(does that get annoying)?
5. Is there any place you can buy new 1000/2000 models online?

Thanks for any help! P.S. I searched for about an hour trying to find the answers on the 'temp but couldn't find much.

relminator

#AnyaBasic
Trophies
Website
rel.phatcode.net
XP
Country
yokomoko said:
2. Is it possible to tell what firmware is on a new PSP before you buy it?
3. Basically any PSP 1000 - 3000 is atleast semi-hackable and capable of temporary CFW as long as the firmware is below 6.37 right?
4. Would you guys recommend we buy used fully-hackable PSP 1000/2000s over new PSP 3000s? With the 3000s don't you have to reinstall the firmware everytime you power it on(does that get annoying)?
5. Is there any place you can buy new 1000/2000 models online?

Thanks for any help! P.S. I searched for about an hour trying to find the answers on the 'temp but couldn't find much.

2. Yes, just check from XMB
3. Yes
4. I would recommend a 3000 if you can't get your hands on a completely hackable 2000. Better buttons and looks sleeker. It used to annoy me(Gen-A and Gen-B) but the "sedna feature" was incorporated to Gen-C. Then came the "signed exploits" where your LCFW gets almost as good as a permanent CFW.
5. Ebay?

omatic

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1) Yes.
2) If you can actually use the PSP before purchase, go to the leftmost XMB option, and look for "System Information". Otherwise, you'll have to ask the seller and hope they're honest.
3) Yes.
4) The having to re-CFW after every power-off is only a small inconvenience. I rarely have to turn my PSP all the way off, and this only becomes annoying when I'm testing something that tends to crash the PSP often. Even so, the re-CFW adds about 12 seconds to your start-up before you're in CFW.

For your situation, any PSP model would do, even the PSP Go. If you're going to just do on-device games, You might consider getting that one, because it has 16gb of memory built in already.

5) Ebay and Amazon.com, but you'll be hard pressed to find them truly new, or if they ARE new, at a reasonable price. Go for the 3000 or Go if you're trying to spend as little as possible (for a new system).

yokomoko

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Thanks a BUNCH, guys. You've been extremely helpful. I'm thinking about just getting a couple of brand new 3000s(semi hacked will do), but I don't wanna bring home one with the 6.37 firmware. Is there anyway to tell what firmware you're getting with a brand new sealed PSP 3000? Maybe something on the package is different on the very newest 6.37 FW PSPs? Any ideas?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: It's mostly the ones that are just pictures and no instructions at all