Hacking CFW install permanently?

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is it possible to install a CFW like Pasta or ReiNand so that you don't have to run ninjhax each time after you turn off and restart your 3DS?

Deleted member 333767

Trophies
XP
If it does ever happen, it will most likely be a very very long time after 3DS life cycle is finished. You know, when you've retired your console to the cupboard and its collecting dust and the lithium ion battery has been sitting empty for so long it probably won't accept charge anymore. That long.

Reactions: xdarkmario

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be easier to create a script that would immediately launch a CFW if cubic ninja is inserted when the 3DS boots up? Since 4.x-9.2 are already exploited, it should be possible, right? Since you aren't overwriting the Nintendo firmware, just supplying an alternate, and since it is on the SD card, it shouldn't compromise Nintendo firmware. We just need boot from SD card, which could be written in the script

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Would it be easier to create a script that would immediately launch a CFW if cubic ninja is inserted when the 3DS boots up? Since 4.x-9.2 are already exploited, it should be possible, right? Since you aren't overwriting the Nintendo firmware, just supplying an alternate, and since it is on the SD card, it shouldn't compromise Nintendo firmware. We just need boot from SD card, which could be written in the script
And how would one run that script?
Basically... anything that get's modified breaks the signature. If the signature is broken, it won't run.
There's 2 options as far as I see, and I'm not saying they're even possible...
1. An exploit is found in the boot process (I think there was something on 3dbrew a while back, but I can't seem to find it now) EDIT: Launcher.dat icons http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Userland_Flaws#System_applets
2. We somehow get the signature keys so that we can sign custom content, and the 3DS will think it's legit.

I'd say just boot using MSET, and leave it in sleep mode (charge when not using it)

Last edited by froggestspirit,

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
If it will ever happen it will be an actual CFW.
When native firm is loaded into arm9 memory and patched there (making it custom), is it no longer firmware to you? Never understood this reasoning.

Back to OP, unless we get the keys from Nintendo to sign our own firm and write it to nand -- never. This is likely the case for all eternity.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
When native firm is loaded into arm9 memory and patched there (making it custom), is it no longer firmware to you? Never understood this reasoning.

Back to OP, unless we get the keys from Nintendo to sign our own firm and write it to nand -- never. This is likely the case for all eternity.
Its less a CFW and more a patch over the top of the stock firmware

I think we were spoiled with Wii homebrew and just how great it was

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Its less a CFW and more a patch over the top of the stock firmware

I think we were spoiled with Wii homebrew and just how great it was
headdesk.

Essentially the logic you just ... put out there is this: Its less a CFW and more of just a CFW.

EmceeKerser

Trophies
XP
Country
headdesk.

Essentially the logic you just ... put out there is this: Its less a CFW and more of just a CFW.
Not really, there's not much custom about it. We havent changed anything besides overturning signature patches and stuff like that plopped on top of the stock. A CFW would be akin to linux FW for ps3

Zhongtiao1

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And how would one run that script?
Basically... anything that get's modified breaks the signature. If the signature is broken, it won't run.
There's 2 options as far as I see, and I'm not saying they're even possible...
1. An exploit is found in the boot process (I think there was something on 3dbrew a while back, but I can't seem to find it now) EDIT: Launcher.dat icons http://3dbrew.org/wiki/3DS_Userland_Flaws#System_applets
2. We somehow get the signature keys so that we can sign custom content, and the 3DS will think it's legit.

I'd say just boot using MSET, and leave it in sleep mode (charge when not using it)
The kernel (if Nintendo integrated one) would be how you would run it. Add a line at the end that automatically boots up the CFW. You aren't messing with the boot process, and depending on where the signature is (if the kernel is present) you may be able to not break the signature.
(Sorry if I'm completely wrong, I'm just going off my knowledge of Linux/QNX here [emoji14])

Relys

^(Software | Hardware) Exploit? Development.$
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's home menu ROP, but that's as close as people have gotten thus far. Nobody has dumped the full bootrom yet (just unprotected part). You've got to hook code in boot process, or else overflow, UAF, etc. will require a manual trigger (such as ninjhax)

froggestspirit

Aspiring Game Dev
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The kernel (if Nintendo integrated one) would be how you would run it. Add a line at the end that automatically boots up the CFW. You aren't messing with the boot process, and depending on where the signature is (if the kernel is present) you may be able to not break the signature.
(Sorry if I'm completely wrong, I'm just going off my knowledge of Linux/QNX here [emoji14])

There's home menu ROP, but that's as close as people have gotten thus far.
Is that the same as the link I put to the launcher.dat stuff? or something else?

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If it does ever happen, it will most likely be a very very long time after 3DS life cycle is finished. You know, when you've retired your console to the cupboard and its collecting dust and the lithium ion battery has been sitting empty for so long it probably won't accept charge anymore. That long.
Damn lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: That boy yo