Hacking Official CBHC v1.6 - ColdBoot HaxChi CFW

Tubarao

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I have Haxchi v2.5u1. What is the safest way to update to Haxchi v2.5u2?
Put files in SD and run the installer in Haxchi 2.5u1?

I apologize for this question, but in this particular case I don't want to take risks.
Thank you.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
From OP: "on top of that using Mocha or fw.img for sysnand can lead to bootup problems and takes far longer to boot so please just dont do it, I dont know how often I can repeat that point anymore."

So, does that mean booting fw.img in CBHC to launch redNAND is not recommended?

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
From OP: "on top of that using Mocha or fw.img for sysnand can lead to bootup problems and takes far longer to boot so please just dont do it, I dont know how often I can repeat that point anymore."

So, does that mean booting fw.img in CBHC to launch redNAND is not recommended?
Well obviously. You've just quoted that from the op too and still you ask. Fw.img is outdated now anyway

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well obviously. You've just quoted that from the op too and still you ask. Fw.img is outdated now anyway
So, essentially there are no ways to autoboot redNAND from system startup? I was just inquiring about what he meant by the vague phrase, "lead to bootup problems". Like if it does take longer to boot fw.img, I'm willing to try it in order to boot redNAND when I turn on my Wii U. But he if means "bootup problems" as something malicious, then I want to know.

Last edited by HaloEffect17,

Columbo2811

Trophies
XP
Country
So, essentially there no ways to boot redNAND from system startup? I was just inquiring about what he meant by the vague phrase, "lead to bootup problems". Like if it does take longer to boot fw.img, I'm willing to try it in order to boot redNAND when I turn on my Wii U. But he if means "bootup problems" as something malicious, then I want to know.
Mocha is generally used for rednand now. It can be used from cbhc but not recommended either. I don't think there's been any reports of anything malicious happening using the 2 together.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Mocha is generally used for rednand now. It can be used from cbhc but not recommended either. I don't think there's been any reports of anything malicious happening using the 2 together.
Well, actually a sentence above it says, "You can boot a fw.img or Mocha CFW on your sd card which could be useful for rednand".

I guess then I was confusing fw.img for redNAND and fw.img for sysNAND, since there are 2 kinds of fw.img. So, I can autoboot fw.img redNAND, but fw.img sysNAND is actually the one that isn't recommended, right?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Well, actually a sentence above it says, "You can boot a fw.img or Mocha CFW on your sd card which could be useful for rednand".

I guess then I was confusing fw.img for redNAND and fw.img for sysNAND, since there are 2 kinds of fw.img. So, I can autoboot fw.img redNAND, but fw.img sysNAND is actually the one that isn't recommended, right?
it isnt recomended beacause it just adds boottime, and there is no reason whatsoever unless you are a dev and messing with stuff that can brick to even use rednand, rednand as off patched sysnand has no advantages.

Reactions: HaloEffect17

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
it isnt recomended beacause it just adds boottime, and there is no reason whatsoever unless you are a dev and messing with stuff that can brick to even use rednand, rednand as off patched sysnand has no advantages.
Does autobooting redNAND fw.img modify system.xml? I want to make sure that if I autoboot fw.img, I don't end up in a reboot loop brick if fw.img is not compatible with CBHC.

C0mm4nd_

Aspirant Wii U homebrew dev :P
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Italy
Does autobooting redNAND fw.img modify system.xml? I want to make sure that if I autoboot fw.img, I don't end up in a reboot loop brick if fw.img is not compatible with CBHC.
fw.img is outdated. Forget it.

If you really want redNAND (no need for it...) just use mocha setting it to redNAND

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

If you really want redNAND (no need for it...) just use mocha setting it to redNAND
So, if fw.img is outdated, you're saying it won't work / result in a brick, or that it's just impractical? Also, I want to autoboot into redNAND from the system startup... I also would rather have Mocha CFW on redNAND as opposed to sysNAND just in case I install a bad title.

But CBHC is for launching Mocha CFW on sysNAND, so I don't see how else I can boot into redNAND from system startup without selecting fw.img as an autoboot option in CBHC.

HaloEffect17

Hiya!
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So, if fw.img is outdated, you're saying it won't work / result in a brick, or that it's just impractical? Also, I want to autoboot into redNAND from the system startup... I also would rather have Mocha CFW on redNAND as opposed to sysNAND just in case I install a bad title.

But CBHC is for launching Mocha CFW on sysNAND, so I don't see how else I can boot into redNAND from system startup without selecting fw.img as an autoboot option in CBHC.

Never mind. I think I got it now. I have to install Mocha CFW on sysNAND... you cannot install Mocha CFW on redNAND... you install it on sysNAND and then in the Mocha menu set redNAND, SEEPROM, and OTP to 'on'. This will start redNAND with sig patches whenever Mocha is launched. Then, once you have CBHC, you set the autoboot to Mocha CFW which will then start redNAND with sig patches.

Please, can someone tell me if this is correct! :unsure:

JohnathanMonkey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I was referred to this thread by @Kafluke with an issue I believe to be related to CBHC. He assisted me all that he could, but my issue is when I have CBHC installed, I am unable to connect to the internet. I uninstalled CBHC and I was able to connect to the internet immediately, but when I re-installed it, I lost internet access. I checked my DHCP settings, because the only way I am able to connect when CBHC is installed is with a manual/static IP address, but they are fine as every other device is connected to my network. I have tried resetting my modem and router as well, but it doesn't help. Any ideas? I am on the latest version of both Haxchi and CBHC. Thank you.

I wasn't sure if this got lost, or if nobody was able to answer, but I wanted to get some ideas or thoughts. Thank you!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Mocha CFW does not get installed at all.
you don't install it, it's a homebrew launched from SD card and stored temporarily in memory until you shutdown the console.

What the first post is saying is : It's not useful to select Mocha from CBHC autoboot menu to do the exact same thing that CBHC can do : patch SysNAND.
BUT of course, if you want to run redNAND at boot, then you will have to autoboot mocha, there's no other way.

it's just taking more time to launch mocha, so if you ever wanted to use Mocha to only patch sysNAND (not redNAND), then you are doing it wrong.

FAST :
Boot -> CBHC -> CFW

Idiot :
Boot -> CBHC -> Mocha 0.2 -> CFW
Boot -> CBHC -> outdated fw.img with missing patches -> outdated CFW

Not useful, but can be done :
Boot -> CBHC -> Mocha 0.2 -> RedNAND

Useful, but beta and longer to boot :
Boot -> CBHC -> Mocha 0.3beta -> CFW with USB FAT32 support but disabled SD card (bug, not a feature)! Removes the format message.

HalloEffect : Can I ask why you want redNAND?
Do you have a specific needs of it, or do you just THINK you need it?
redNAND is not useful to end users, it's even the contrary as we have to help users fix their issue on sysNAND after using redNAND...

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: Ryccardo and XRaTiX

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
Useful, but beta and longer to boot :
Boot -> CBHC -> Mocha 0.3beta -> CFW with USB FAT32 support but disabled SD card! Removes the format message.
Hmm..glad to see he's including Fat32 in his build ,But i hope Fix gives us the option to disable/enable the SD card tho.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
it's not Fix94 who included it (it's not CBHC but Mocha CFW) nor has to make an option to enable/disable SD card.

it's only disabled due to beta and incomplete work. it's a bug.
it's not a feature and wasn't intended to get SD card disabled.
When/if Dimok continue his work on Mocha, it will probably have SD card access again along with FAT32 USB.

Last edited by Cyan,
Reactions: KiiWii

Ghassen-ga

Trophies
XP
Country
it's not Fix94 who included it (it's not CBHC but Mocha CFW) nor has to make an option to enable/disable SD card.

it's only disabled due to beta and incomplete work. it's a bug.
it's not a feature and wasn't intended to get SD card disabled.
I thought the only way the mount Fat32 in mocha is by replacing The sd card by default ?

temper999

Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
...NEVER try to delete/install over the DS VC you used to install since it is now basically your system menu so if you break it your console bricks too, there are several protections against overwriting, moving to usb and deleting, but you should still not try your luck and trigger that protection over and over again, just generally be smart about it...
What are these protections?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: empty chat