Hacking CATSFC and TempGBA using DSTwo+

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Simple question really, do these emulators run at approaching full speed without frameskip on the new Plus? Or at least massively superior?

The card boasts a faster onboard CPU and more RAM. Almost tempted to upgrade, but I don't need the Gateway plugin.

amaro999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
The frameskip on SCTWO was not related to its CPU and RAM, but to the amount of information that could be sent between the cartridge and the 3DS.
So the answer is no, there will be no difference in frameskip with the new Plus.

sj33

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Is there any point in the faster CPUs and increased RAM, then? A vain hope that people will develop for it?

sieroi

Trophies
XP
Country
The frameskip on SCTWO was not related to its CPU and RAM, but to the amount of information that could be sent between the cartridge and the 3DS.
So the answer is no, there will be no difference in frameskip with the new Plus.

This seems demonstrably untrue. If this were the case, increasing the CPU frequency would make no difference in games- it obviously has a significant effect on framerate.

Edit: Turns out this isn't strictly the case- while some games do obviously have CPU-limited frameskip problems, the DSTwo is incapable of displaying more than 48 frames per second streamed from the card to the DS. The TempGBA dev talks about it in the program's thread, if anyone's curious.

Last edited by sieroi,

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have one and tried it. I cant say for certain, because the options and settings are all... different. I dont know if its because of the newer hardware, but I dont have the settings I used to have. Either way, I feel like the best I can tell you is: SNES/GBA games run... slightly better. The most I can tell is that they run just a noticeable difference better. But if you ask me, I think that the emulators running on the native 3DS hardware would run better, since the DSTWO+ relies on internal cart hardware and DS mode.

Now if the Supercard team could come up with a way to allow the DSTWO+ to run emulators on the 3DS hardware in 3DS mode... we might have a viable solution for those of use who haven't gone to the trouble of installing CFW, RxT, or .cias for emulating. This cart was meant to be an all in one solution for the DS and 3DS. When reality hit and the cart surfaced, it was basically a slightly beefed up DSTWO that can also launch GW software. This might have been much more popular if it had been released a few years ago, right after all the other carts got blocked and GW was just getting big. But now? I dont see why you wouldnt just use CFW, especially after using it.

Reactions: raystriker

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 10 tabs open on chrome and no slow downs suck it low ram plebs lol