Capcom announces Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by T-hug, Oct 5, 2017.

1. eriol33

eriol33 GBAtemp Fan

Jan 2, 2014
    Indonesia
    so typical of capcom:rofl:

2. DJPlace

DJPlace P!ssed OFF Pyscho of GBA!!

Apr 16, 2008
    United States
    knew this was going what's next SUPER STREET FIGHTER V HYPER ARCADE EDITION?

DarthDub likes this.
  3. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    Historically, subsequent releases of fighting games were based on balancing updates the company made to the arcade machines. There was a competitive scene, so they would balance stuff to change the meta. Like you said, they couldn't just patch the games for free, so they had to come up with some reason to make regular consumers buy a whole new game. Today, update patches are free, but overhauls are not. From a consumer standpoint, it seems like garbage - but I don't even play SFV, I watch professionals play it on TV. Whether or not AE will be worth it is whether or not they like it. A lot of pros don't really like the game, but just play it because they have to (has nothing to do with lack of offline modes, just the game's mechanics).

Also several games, including Tekken 6 for PS3 released without an arcade mode (they added one to the PSP version because of all the negative feedback). I honestly think Tekken 7's release is half-assed as well, I wouldn't even bother with it if that weren't my favorite fighter.

Sonic Angel Knight likes this.
  4. Sick Wario

Sick Wario Club Nintendo

Jul 24, 2006
    NNID: godrugal
    this is the best move capcom could have made. much better to update the game for everyone than split the playerbase again like sf4.

sure the game was lacking content on release but we've had a steady and high quality flow of new characters, returning characters, balancing and extra content for a year now.

could have used a better name than just arcade edition but i'm very happy with this update, and at least 1 more season of characters

cvskid likes this.
  5. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    In sf4's case the player base was split only once with the upgrade from sf4 to ssf4 which made sense because of the amount of changes done from sf4 to ssf4 was too large to make as an update patch. Afterwards all future updates were both update patches and in disc form.

Last edited by cvskid, Oct 7, 2017
  6. shano

shano Member

Newcomer
    Aug 27, 2012
    United States
    For all the people complaining that Capcom went back on it's word, current owners still get all the new features from AE without having to spend any more money.

The new disc is mainly for people who still don't own SFV, think of it like a GOTY/Complete style edition (containing the 12 Season 1 & 2 DLC Characters ).

Sick Wario and cvskid like this.
  7. Elrinth

Elrinth :Master beyond your imagination:

Nov 6, 2002
    All the controversy around the game kinda makes me NOT want the game.

According to the trailer we have:
    Ryu, Akuma, Chun-Li, Girl in Green called Laura, Egypt Girl called Menat, Girl in Russian outfit called Kolin, Guy in sand garbs called Rashid, Big guy in blue called Abigail
    That's a total of 8 characters.. Yay :D

However, according to actual gameplay footage we also have 6 additional characters:
    Ken, Cammy, R.Mika, M.Bison, Vega, Birdie

Looking thru their https://streetfighter.com/characters/ webpage we can see also the following 13 characters:
    Nash, Necalli, Karin, Zangief, Dhalsim, F.A.N.G, Alex, Guile, Ibuki, Balrog, Juri, Urien, Ed

Also from what I can see there Abigail has the best stats. 5 in power, 5 in health, 5 in range, 4 in technique, 1 in mobility. Mobility didn't matter much in newer Street Fighters afaik.

According to screenshot of character select screen there's 27 different characters (same number if we sum the above characters) to choose from which is actually a pretty big rooster.

There's also some Punk-guy, but he's appearing in a bonus stage, so I don't think he's a playable character.

also one guy pointed this out:
    "ALL NEW MODES AND GAMEPLAY FEATURES WILL BE AVAILABLE AS FREE UPDATES FOR EXISTING STREET FIGHTER V OWNERS"
    This does NOT include the characters. Which is really shitty because buying AE is cheaper then buying the season passes

Last edited by Elrinth, Oct 7, 2017
    DarthDub likes this.
  8. mizorechan

mizorechan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2014
    Brazil
    Finally! This is the game Capcom should have been launched! Although is a bit late now but glad to see this game getting new modes and improvements in mechanics. And giving the arcade edition as "free update" for people who bought SFV is good for the loyal SFV fanbase.

Sick Wario and cvskid like this.
  9. Xzi

Xzi Console Hacker and PC Gamer

Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    I've not looked into it too much previously...anyone know if SFV was review-bombed on Steam or if it's really that bad? It's sitting at around 52% in overall and recent. IMO seems like Capcom has long since peaked, given the consensus is that MvC3 is quite a bit better than MvC:I.

Last edited by Xzi, Oct 8, 2017
  10. mizorechan

mizorechan Member

Newcomer
    Jan 4, 2014
    Brazil
    It's a good game and has the benefit of crossplay with PS4. The main problem is the lack of single player content and the connection issues which improved a bit. Basically, a good but unpolished game.

thewarhammer likes this.
  11. thewarhammer

thewarhammer GBAtemp Regular

Sep 15, 2009
    Brazil
    Rio de Janeiro
    Well, unless you would buy an arcade machine, it still an exclusive release.

And by the way, arcade releases are never taken in consideration when someone talks about exclusives.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Well, you can still earn FM without playing online matches, but I really don't see a problem with it, as it's still a fighting game.

And for the "Cash Only" content, I really don't get all the complaint as every other fighting game in the market have it's share, and some are really worse than this (like Dead or Alive and/or BlazBlue/Guilty Gear for example).

TBH Capcom is handling the Arcade Edition update way better than Arc System did with Revelator Rev.2.

Last edited by thewarhammer, Oct 11, 2017 at 8:23 PM
  12. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    I'm never not going to be angry about that. They had it on sale on PSN for PS4 the other day - $20 (full Rev 1+2, all DLC). For PS3... no sale, it's still $68 if you want Rev 1+2 with just the characters DLC.

13. Subzero100

Subzero100 GBAtemp Regular

Jun 5, 2012
    United States
    I may be wrong but didnt capcom say they were never doing this again?

14. LinksAsleeping

LinksAsleeping Member

Newcomer
    Feb 9, 2017
    United States
    Is it true Sagat isn't in Street Fighter V?

Any reason why?