Capcom announces Street Fighter V: Arcade Edition

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by T-hug, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Taleweaver

Taleweaver Storywriter

Dec 23, 2009
    Belgium
    Belgium
    Okay... So what's this yapping about "exclusively for the PlayStation 4computer entertainment system and Windows PC" then? :unsure:

2. cvskid

cvskid GBAtemp Addict

Apr 13, 2014
    United States
    That's what i don't get either. The way they are advertising it, it might confuse people who want to buy the game.

3. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    Hey, at least current players are getting this stuff for free.
    Honestly not really such a bad move from Capcom.

thewarhammer likes this.
  4. leon315

leon315 POWERLIFTER

Nov 27, 2013
    Italy
    have u ever played dead or alive 5 or mortal kombat X??? Almost all companies did same

thewarhammer likes this.
  5. KasaiWolf

KasaiWolf Advanced Member

Newcomer
    May 28, 2013
    Scotland
    lol Capcom are true losers if they think people will actually buy this trash.

6. chartube12

chartube12 GBAtemp Psycho!

Mar 3, 2010
    United States
    that didnt stop la noir from being multiplatform

7. Sonic Angel Knight

Sonic Angel Knight GBAtemp Guru

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Kinda the worst i seen of capcom in ages. How can you even release a game with no arcade mode, is the basics of every fighting game. Second, fight money is handled like in my opinion, all poorly. I see the idea is you can earn characters by buying them with ingame currency, but what the hell happened to just Completing a difficult OFFLINE challenge to unlock them? In marvel vs capcom 2, you earn secret points to unlock more content, even there it was tedious cause more than half the characters was locked away and you needed lots for like a few. But least it wasn't as bad, in this game, you earn fight money by doing combo challenges, story modes, and survival modes. But the best way is probably winning online matches RANKED matches. Even if you plan to never do that, you can squeeze what money the game itself offers while offline, but once you squeeze as much as the game allows, your only other options are to go to online ranked and win against the most competitive players in the world (Like California) or complete some weekly challenges that offer less points than the offline ones. You will still find yourself spending either every week playing for the weekly agenda or actually spending money, is either that or try to win 2 of 3 rank matches. O_O

They probably did this fight money system for purposes like this. Now when they update the game or do something like this which is (AGAIN) people don't have to go out and buy a upgrade cause they already have it. Notice how it says "characters only" You still don't get any of the previously released premium content right? You know the stuff that CANNOT BE PURCHASED WITH FIGHT MONEY!? Nope, still got to use real cash to get it, and what about the timed seasonal themed content like the halloween and christmas stuff? I paid $20 for this game, hard not to with all the sales they keep having for %50. Usually if a game goes on sale for that percent and often, can mean one of 2 things. Bad sales, or bad game. I dunno which one it is but it could have been a bit more like Guilty Gear Xrd with the way their in game currency is. I mean even though most people would use it to avoid paying money for characters, they still have content that is DLC purchase only, so there is still someone who would buy it cause they want everything. Yeah i know, reading this makes me sound pretty cheap right? Just saying the fight money could have been put to better use than the way it is now.

8. ScarletDreamz

ScarletDreamz [Debug Mode]

Feb 16, 2015
    United States
    California
    This shit has to stop.

Can you imagine if Nintendo was like this?

New Super Mario World 2.5 Super Omega Alpha Remix Plus II Arcade Black Edition.

This game comes with everything as the original Super Mario World 2.5, as well as the Super, Omega, Alpha, Remix, Plus, II, Arcade, Black Edition, but this time, we added,A SKIN FOR Mario Cape! NO MORE YELLOW CAPE, THIS TIME ITS BLUE!
    [​IMG]

Just $55.99

If your purchased all the past games, then its only $59.90!!!!!!!

Last edited by ScarletDreamz, Oct 5, 2017
    DarthDub likes this.
  9. VartioArtel

VartioArtel Member

Newcomer
    Oct 3, 2012
    United States
    I'm probably gonna get downed for this but, yet again instead of producing something their fans have been begging for for years, they produce yet-again-another-generic-clone-of-a-Street-Fighter.

With 1, 2, and 3 I could understand, back then digital updates were not a thing. I could understand them trying to re-release the game with balance updates and new characters, maybe a new plot. But this? This is sloppy, lazy business that expects to drag new players in when it really should disgust them they're trying to resell the original game discs with what accounts to DLC on modern prices at a higher price than you could obtain them in bloody gamestop of all places. (Basically saying they're trying to 'force' unwitting newcomers to buy the new version with DLC for a higher price, when it makes it clear these DLC are 'free' if you own the original version)

Yes, I'm actually defending gamestop for once. Those discs got to be about $30-40 USD by now for SFV original. Now they're gonna sell these at $50-60 just to edge out and wring some extra cash from new players, or those obsessed enough for collectors editions or collectables or the fancy disc to say "I WAS THERE AND I STILL OWN EVERY PRINTED RELEASE".

Meanwhile Megaman gets it's big anniversary glazed over with merchandise instead of a legitimate game (yes, call me salty, because I will admit my am) and passing out the IP to anyone willing to pay an extra $10 (exaggeration) to throw it into their games so they don't need to make a legitimate attempt at developing games rather than Player-Vs-Player with shoddy if not incomplete stories tacked on (IE: MVCI).

Last edited by VartioArtel, Oct 5, 2017
  10. Plstic

Plstic Guru Meditation Error

Apr 21, 2010
    United States
    Milwaukee WI
    took the retards long enough to release arcade mode. What were they thinking not including it? It is an Arcade game after all, no?

DarthDub likes this.
  11. studio1b

studio1b Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 14, 2009
    United States
    NEW YORK CITY
    man capcom u make me wonder.
    the game has been out for what like 4 years in arcades and finally u bring the arcade edition to ps4 lol
    Ill stick to the ARCADE EDITION on my pc. just grab the arcade edition files and play it up.

12. Jackson Ferrell

Jackson Ferrell Naked Banana

Nov 28, 2015
    Australia
    Another insult to injury for Nintendo Switch. I've given up hope for Capcom.

13. DarthDub

DarthDub Amateur Hacker

Jan 26, 2016
    United States
    Your mom's basement.
    Still not falling for Capcom's schemes.

14. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    "New V-trigger moves"

Lol, please learn something about the game before writing about it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

In the Japanese version of MVC2, you HAD to play online to earn a separate type of points to unlock all the characters. At the time, Americans hated online play, so they didn't force them to earn online points.

Now everyone in every country is obsessed with online (to the point that a lot of games omit 2-player local play), so they decide to make online compulsory. If you want cheaper, more solo loner-inclusive products, stop supporting the online culture. (but good luck, because everyone else buys into this garbage)

thewarhammer likes this.
  15. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Really? I didn't know about that, I mean it was only home console port on dreamcast, ps2 and xbox, which i thought at the time didn't really have online modes. I know they planned it but most games didn't. :unsure:

Anyway, if i was to use another example, In street fighter ex, you had to do combo challenges to earn secret points to unlock more characters. The idea is to least have challenges to unlock rewards instead of relying on stuff like not offline reward system. Is only there to encourage people to play with others and make use of their so called capcom fighter network. I mean if they didn't have capcom fighter network, it probably wouldn't have cross platform play online, but here it is and now is the system to try and ensure they keep the server available for the game. Dlc should be reserved for after thought ideas later in the games life, now paywall to a more complete game that should least be acceptable at time of release and then charging $60 for it, and i'm sore most of the money people spend on the game is for that half million capcom cup they keep doing.

16. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    I don't know why anyone would be upset about consumer money going towards an event that was born out of a grass-roots gamer movement, but whatever.

And yeah, back in 1996, the days before online (Street Fighter EX was an Arika game, not Capcom, by the way), they had to come up with innovative ways to make people want to play the home version. Otherwise they'd be losing revenue from the Arcade version. Consider all the amazing Japanese arcade games that never get a console release, thus never get a release outside of Japan - Wangan Midnight: MT, any Initial D after 3rd stage, countless rhythm games (every Beatmania release past IIDX 4th, Sound Voltex), all of the card-based tactics games (Sangoku Taisen, Lord of Vermillion), and so on.

DarthDub and cvskid like this.
  17. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    Honestly I don't care, i got my product and they got their money. Not my business what they do with it. But i do have concern that they don't focus enough on maybe trying making new games so there is more games to play.

Not really sure, I mean people love street fighter 2 on snes and genesis, it was just able to play the arcade game in your home with friends was good enough. Nothing special between the arcade or home ports. Just wish that maybe they sometimes focus more on having in game unlockables not be somewhere linked to DLC unless is new content produced after the game's release. Not announce a game then say "new characters coming with season pass purchase, play them first." I mean i rather have waited for the game to get the features it should have had even if i had to wait longer for it. But least it feels like buying a $60 game

18. DS1

DS1 伝説の雀士

Feb 18, 2009
    United States
    Yes!
    True, what I wouldn't do for a new Rival Schools. I guess my point is that Capcom made this game so that they could profit off of the scene that the Fighting Game Community (non-profit, non-corporate group of individuals that organized a commercial venture all on their own) built. Capcom Cup is their way of paying them back (and staying relevant).

True! I'm super pissed that you can't play the new Gundam game as a 2-player game. It's online only! I have bonded with so many friends over that game series, and Bandai goes and screws us by not allowing you to play with your friends.

As for cost of releases, Capcom is no better or worse than anyone else. Guilty Gear Xrd Rev 2 costs $40 on the PS4, for all content except a few custom colors. The same game, with the same content, costs $68 for PS3!! Not to mention they recently had a sale that brought the PS4 version down to $20 (the PS3 version did not go on sale, still $68). This is a trend of the game industry, but again, sign of the times.[/QUOTE]

19. Sonic Angel Knight

May 27, 2016
    United States
    New York
    I think that was just the idea of trying not to support ps3 cause it's kinda at end of life for some players. But even so is no excuse to do that to the ps3 players. It is cross platform play after all. The steam game is also the same way, only ps4 has retail with full dlc roster included, while ps3 and steam need a base game that cost original price plus $20 for upgrade expansion. Still the idea of people re releasing expansions as new games started with street fighter 2, Sure we didn't have dlc or update patches online in form of downloads, so they had to give us a reason to repurchase cartridges again, but now that we do and still do stuff like this is just getting a bit too old. Maybe people still like this, people who haven't purchased the game yet, gives new reason to have them buy it and be caught up on content, still now existing players be like "Wow, I paid $60 for a game with only 16 characters, no arcade mode, now new people get more with the $20 discount. 28 characters to start with and a arcade mode, full features story mode and no new gameplay to master."

Basically the "arcade edition" is for people who didn't buy the game yet. I don't really have any complaints, I bought it for $20 and a season pass for $10, another discounted season pass for $10 and I will have $40 spent on the game. The problem is the premium content that cannot be unlocked for the game and only be purchased with money. The fight money system is totally unappealing. You can only earn so much playing offline modes, and once you do get them, each character cost like 100,000 to obtain that is 1,200,000 for 12 unlockable characters you have to earn not to mention potential of more, and 70,000 for stages, while the rest are profile cards themes and titles, and story mode costumes and colors. Maybe if the stuff wasn't so expensive for the fight money or if winning ranked matches wasn't the only way to earn fight money outside of the one time only offline modes, it would be okay, but this new ex battle mode, once again has you sacrificing fight money to unlock stuff. How bout beat arcade mode on harder difficulties to get some colors or costumes, How bout beat it without losing rounds or continues? How bout performing specific actions during arcade mode to get special battles against character's rival to unlock something Like Street fighter 4 had? Or how bout releasing a game that is finished with a sizeable content worth paying $60, what kind of fighting game releases with no arcade mode!? :wtf:

20. fst312

fst312 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Nov 4, 2008
    United States
    New York
    When I read arcade, I thought to myself, is capcom setting up arcade machines. I miss the arcade days with all those quarters. Isn't that what arcade supposed to mean, it wasn't suppose to just be some mode you select.